Guyland - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind

Old 09-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 12:20 PM
Just a disclaimer, I am not vintagepunks source

It really depends on the world you live in. If you were to poll the whole of FYM you would find that the majority are white collar and middle to upper class urbanites. This behaviour is far less likely to be apparent to those types of people.

I on the other hand am a construction worker. Middle class Irish, that is 25, living in an area that is booming beyond belief. These generalizations (thats what they are, as we can all see that most of yous don't come into contact with this very often) can become the rule in the world I live in. You would'nt believe the amount of gay bashing I hear! Its horrible, I have a gay friend and am scared to take her out with me out of fear one of my friends or family will say something so stupid.

I did'nt read the article, and I dont need too. I know the truth in my life is that men 16-26 are generally pigs. It's unfortunate, and I'm guilty from time to time. Though I would never lump myself into the catagory, you do feel the pressure of talking about what you're going to do when you go home for days off. (get laid, get drunk) If you lived in my world you'd relize this is common, and there are women that accept it. Some even like it!

We all live in different situations, and come into contact with different people. So to say this is true or false depends solely on your social suroundings.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #17
A vampire or a victim...

Local Time: 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoman View Post
Just a disclaimer, I am not vintagepunks source
Maybe some other time.

Quote:

It really depends on the world you live in. If you were to poll the whole of FYM you would find that the majority are white collar and middle to upper class urbanites. This behaviour is far less likely to be apparent to those types of people.

I on the other hand am a construction worker. Middle class Irish, that is 25, living in an area that is booming beyond belief. These generalizations (thats what they are, as we can all see that most of yous don't come into contact with this very often) can become the rule in the world I live in. You would'nt believe the amount of gay bashing I hear! Its horrible, I have a gay friend and am scared to take her out with me out of fear one of my friends or family will say something so stupid.

I did'nt read the article, and I dont need too. I know the truth in my life is that men 16-26 are generally pigs. It's unfortunate, and I'm guilty from time to time. Though I would never lump myself into the catagory, you do feel the pressure of talking about what you're going to do when you go home for days off. (get laid, get drunk) If you lived in my world you'd relize this is common, and there are women that accept it. Some even like it!

We all live in different situations, and come into contact with different people. So to say this is true or false depends solely on your social suroundings.
From what I understand from talking to male friends, this behaviour is certainly not limited to the working class. It also gets much worse when males are on their own - in other words, many of them tend not to expose women to these uglier sides of themselves. I think that the numbers who engage in this among their friends as a male bonding machismo sort of thing are much higher than those who truly believe what they're saying, but that both groups do exist, as do men who don't fit into either group at all.

Last night they loved you
Opening doors and pulling some strings, angel

VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #18
Refugee

My experience is limited to the working class. I've been around people that are upper class (I hate this class shit) and have'nt seen it as bad. If I could tape some of the things said it would shock you.

Male bonding? I've always thought of that as a cop out. You don't need to bond with people by running everyone else down. I guess you could relate it to trying to become like everyone else, which in turn can be called bonding, but I've had situations where I've gotten fed up with some of the shit people are saying and told them so. Their usual response is that they are just kidding, too which I usually respond you're not very funny. Kind of a deadner, but sometimes people need to be reminded they are sounding like idiots.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoman View Post
You don't need to bond with people by running everyone else down
Some people don't get that, unfortunately. You even see it around Interference in the way some people behave.

I think that's a key part of maturing as a person, realizing that you don't have to do that. Some people just never seem to realize that though, no matter how young or old they are.

It's like that line from Ghost Town that goes something like "at some point you have to ask yourself where being such a f***ing prick has ever gotten you".
Old 09-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
It's like that line from Ghost Town that goes something like "at some point you have to ask yourself where being such a f***ing prick has ever gotten you".

I am gonna use that one!

But in all fairness, being a complete asshole and trashing other people gets people places. They become part of a group, much like in high school ie. jocks, that think its cool to run people down.

I work in a oil town, all we do is work. 24 days straight then home for 4 days. So every Wednesday a few people from work would go to a bar for wings and beer. It's sort of a bonding thing I suppose, some people go to kiss the bosses ass. This night grew as more and more people heard about it. It turned into a 30-40 people gathering. I stopped going because, even at ages from 25-55, it was like who could top the previous guys story about how many times he got laid last week, or how drunk he got last week or who could tell the most racist or homophobic joke. It was boring and offensive.

I don't mind a bit of banter. I am pretty good at having a good time, actually too good, but the ultra machismo starts to get old. Thats when I think you've grown up, or grown out of that immature period of your life. It probably happened to me a few years ago, but I swere there are still 40 year olds running around thinking they've got the biggest dick and can drink you under the table! LOSERS!