Gulf oil disaster-helping oiled birds/wildlife - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 01:23 PM
Gulf oil disaster-helping oiled birds/wildlife

I’m sure everyone has seen or at least heard of the large numbers of birds found yesterday drenched in oil, completely covered and causing them to have trouble breathing and suffocating. Some were too far gone to save. The International Bird Rescue Center does have some of the birds and they're working to clean them today. Here's a recent blog from the Director. http://intbirdrescue.blogspot.com/

The Audubon Society in Louisiana is one of the official responders to the disaster. They have a hotline for people to call with locations of found oiled birds, and they call the local rescue /responders in that area to go out and find the birds for cleaning. They are actively involved in finding and cleaning birds.
They check their hotline every hour. I called them last night at 10:30 pm and got a live person. They’re dedicated to helping.

Here’s their site for donations specifically for the oil disaster response. They will be the ones trying to clean and restore the birds' habitats which are also being destroyed.

https://loon.audubon.org/payment/donate/OILSPILL10.html

Also note that Dawn’s Everyday Wildlife Champions charitable arm has a Facebook page with updates on what they’re doing (Trucks with loads of Dawn detergent have been going to the region from their Kentucky warehouse and they have people on the ground cleaning birds.)

Note that if you buy DAWN, you have to go online and enter the activation code for the $1/bottle donation to kick in. It doesn’t happen automatically when you just buy a bottle. Where to redeem the Dawn code: http://www.dawn-dish.com/en_US/savingwildlife/home.do

They have a $500k limit, and are up to $417k now. They need to be petitioned to raise that cap.

I can’t even look at the photos, it’s heartbreaking. And this is only the beginning. I’m afraid this will wipe out the last of the 300 endangered brown pelicans, and decimate the manatee population when it reaches around Florida. This is headed up the east coast by July, so it wont hurt to contact state reps now, and demand what they plan to have in place. The oil will travel up to 100 miles per day once it's in the Gulf current. The projected path is for it to completely surround Florida, go up the east coast to NC, then head out to sea, where it'll no doubt create more havoc when it reachs Europe.

Local Audubons will also have to deal with migrating falcons who will eat semi oiled birds that can still fly, but are slower than others. Then we have falcons who’ve ingested oil. This is only the start of entire ecosystems being destroyed.

Please pass along the donation information to friends, on your Facebook or Twitter pages-wherever, just to get the word out, and don’t forget to check if you have a company match which can double what you give.

Thanks for reading and helping,
Kim

Old 06-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:23 AM

Old 06-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post

This is a serious post about animals in distress. Can the stupid animation of seal clubbing go away? thanks,
Old 06-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Great contribution to the thread deep. I can tell you care a lot about animals.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

This is not about the animals

it is about Procter and Gamble exploiting this disaster as a marketing device.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:23 PM
Oh, good. I was hoping to hear about ways to help those poor animals. My family usually gets Dawn, so we can contribute that way. I'll definitely keep the links in mind, see what I can donate and when-I'd love to help out. Seeing those animals like that is just so heartbreaking . Thanks for the information.

Angela
Old 06-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

fuck. I was dreading when this news would start trickling in I really wish I could pack up and go help for a few weeks
Old 06-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
War Child

Quote:
This is not about the animals

have you looked at their site? The charitable arm of their company is called everyday wildlife champions. It existed well before this disaster happened.
If people bought their product they should know about activating the code to make it count.
Have you looked to see what the bird rescue groups are using ? Hmmm yes it's Dawn. Because it's what works and is safe on the animals. If you don't want to buy it don't. The other links I posted tell you how to volunteer and how to donate to a couple places to help rebuild habitats.
Why did you turn my thread into something negative? I wasn t promoting p&g, I was passing on information people may not have been aware of.
What are YOU doing to help?
I care very much about this-it's going to kill marine life from the Gulf, to around Florida , up to NC. This is devastating to birds, marine life, their habitats, and us. We're destroying this planet in leaps and bounds.
This post was to pass on places people can find information and donate to like Audubon. Not to start a discussion about P&g's motives.
Thanks to everyone else who posted or viewed. I'm glad some people care about this.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

These are tough to look at

Caught in the oil - The Big Picture - Boston.com
Old 06-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I saw a story about the Dawn campaign on CNN. It actually started for Earth Day, before the oil gusher disaster and the ads were used before that. So as far as that goes it wasn't specifically created to "exploit" the oil spill. They are donating money and free Dawn to clean up the birds. What's wrong with that? All companies use charitable works as marketing devices.

Anyone who is helping there, I say to them
Old 07-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Warning To Gulf Volunteers: Almost Every Cleanup Worker From The 1989 Exxon Valdez Disaster Is Now Dead

Has anyone heard anything similar to this? It blows my mind, though I find it a little hard to believe
Old 07-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:23 PM
I actually read about this well before the BP disaster, it's one of the reasons you can't just go into a clean up at this scale without any thought. The experts just don't have the solution.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotalola View Post
I’m sure everyone has seen or at least heard of the large numbers of birds found yesterday drenched in oil, completely covered and causing them to have trouble breathing and suffocating. Some were too far gone to save. The International Bird Rescue Center does have some of the birds and they're working to clean them today. Here's a recent blog from the Director. http://intbirdrescue.blogspot.com/

The Audubon Society in Louisiana is one of the official responders to the disaster. They have a hotline for people to call with locations of found oiled birds, and they call the local rescue /responders in that area to go out and find the birds for cleaning. They are actively involved in finding and cleaning birds.
They check their hotline every hour. I called them last night at 10:30 pm and got a live person. They’re dedicated to helping.

Here’s their site for donations specifically for the oil disaster response. They will be the ones trying to clean and restore the birds' habitats which are also being destroyed.

https://loon.audubon.org/payment/donate/OILSPILL10.html

Also note that Dawn’s Everyday Wildlife Champions charitable arm has a Facebook page with updates on what they’re doing (Trucks with loads of Dawn detergent have been going to the region from their Kentucky warehouse and they have people on the ground cleaning birds.)

Note that if you buy DAWN, you have to go online and enter the activation code for the $1/bottle donation to kick in. It doesn’t happen automatically when you just buy a bottle. Where to redeem the Dawn code: http://www.dawn-dish.com/en_US/savingwildlife/home.do

They have a $500k limit, and are up to $417k now. They need to be petitioned to raise that cap.

I can’t even look at the photos, it’s heartbreaking. And this is only the beginning. I’m afraid this will wipe out the last of the 300 endangered brown pelicans, and decimate the manatee population when it reaches around Florida. This is headed up the east coast by July, so it wont hurt to contact state reps now, and demand what they plan to have in place. The oil will travel up to 100 miles per day once it's in the Gulf current. The projected path is for it to completely surround Florida, go up the east coast to NC, then head out to sea, where it'll no doubt create more havoc when it reachs Europe.

Local Audubons will also have to deal with migrating falcons who will eat semi oiled birds that can still fly, but are slower than others. Then we have falcons who’ve ingested oil. This is only the start of entire ecosystems being destroyed.

Please pass along the donation information to friends, on your Facebook or Twitter pages-wherever, just to get the word out, and don’t forget to check if you have a company match which can double what you give.

Thanks for reading and helping,
Kim

Question. The people who were in charge of the Birds, more specifically the Brown Pelicans.

The director has been on the news several times, and he said that they didn't need volunteers, or donation , as BP was paying for it. He did say the Dawn donations were good.

He also said that they are working with USF Tampa, and relocating the birds there.

The state of Florida is all over BP . ALL over them as far as getting what they need. The florida response has been fantastic. Gov is there every day.

The other thing is about the 100 miles a day travel period for the oil . That would be 7,200 miles. 100 miles x 73-75 days. Not a drop of oil, South of Pensecola as of yet althoug hotels and such are going out of business left and right

NOAA is right across the street from where I work, and they are not certain this indeed this will make it into the "loop current". That is a maybe , not a certain.

I will see if I can find the television interview and link it. He said they had all they needed as to people, and resources. I don't think the guy was involved with the Internatational _______ or Audubons , as the group doing it has been there for like 30 some years. They are being funded directly from BP, and he said they have given them everything they need.

He DID say that he would prefer that people send the donations to the LOCAL Audubons Societies. He said that would be the best as they know people want to do something and that would be the best.

The reason I say this as often when stuff hits Florida, or Hati is a good example, a lot of stuff didnt get there. It all went somewhere, and nobody knows where.

I would be interested in this 100 miles a day thing . Never heard anyone say that. It is POSSIBLE to get in the loop cureent, but so far it hasn't.

Yesterday, it was also announced that the only thing they have found in the food chain that is confirmed, is oil in Blue crabs. Making $$ count, by directing them to the right people is what helps.

I will try to find the interview.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Warning To Gulf Volunteers: Almost Every Cleanup Worker From The 1989 Exxon Valdez Disaster Is Now Dead

Has anyone heard anything similar to this? It blows my mind, though I find it a little hard to believe
That is crazy. I live down here and never heard that once, although it is probably good to not swim in a massive oil spil. We have all had

water up our noses.

It the birds get covered way worse than any human, why are they alive and yet 400 people went to the hospital ?

All the Valdez people died? Red Adair and his company put of 1,000 of burning wells fro Kuwait , burning and spewing. took years, in addition to other 75 years of wells. Didn't kill him.

"Right now I have a dull headache, and my stomach is queasy. I have been thinking maybe the chemicals from the oil cleanup or the oil itself is causing us to be ill. It has been raining all day off and on. I started feeling ill late last night. I was wonder"

Ummm it is allergy season in Florida. A lot of pollen in the air. This girl has not been near the beach, and a lot of people live in Pensecola. They are dying? No . Those are classic allergy symptoms in Florida.

No hospitals have reported mass complaints. None.

The beach workers can only work 20 mins an hour. They wear masks.

That is a bogus article.

PS 2 deaths from the clean up. Both suicides.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, I think the idea is that its the long term effects of the oil and dispersant, so chronic problems from the current disaster wouldn't be apparent yet. That said, I'm not defending the article. I'm trying to find some more information on it

Tags
birds, bp, disaster, gulf, oil