Great Britain R.I.P. - 2 Boys Aged 10 & 11 Charged with Attempted Murder in Doncaster - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
Ok on the serious note, yes we will be as BAD as the usa with your nutcases shooting people left, right and centre

on the not so serious note i was playing on YOUR comment on Thom Yorke being to blame

I admit it was a shit joke but come on, it wasnt that hard to figure out
But when you make absurd statements like that first one, one cannot have a clue as to what is serious and what isn't. Because the first one sounds just as crazy.
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,486
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post

what it really boils down to is we are a vicious species. we've always killed eachother and probably always will kill eachother, with knives, guns, whatever. if you took away everything that someone could used as a weapon, we'd use our bare hands. makes me wonder if we will evolve beyond this behavior at some point in the future, if we make it that far.


yes, so let's just arm everybody since that will just make the inevitable murder quicker, cleaner, and easier for all parties involved.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #18
Refugee
 
MadForIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,232
Local Time: 06:08 AM
On a side note i havent heard much bill hicks but from what i heard i like him

shame he died
__________________
MadForIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
Refugee
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,593
Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
yes, so let's just arm everybody since that will just make the inevitable murder quicker, cleaner, and easier for all parties involved.
thats not what i meant.

just stating the truth.
__________________
bigjohn2441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #20
Refugee
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,593
Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
On a side note i havent heard much bill hicks but from what i heard i like him

shame he died
yeah he must be rolling over in his grave with all the shit thats been going on these last few years.
__________________
bigjohn2441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,673
Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
although if i had a choice i think id rather be shot and killed rather than stabbed to death.
Yes, but which one would you like to play your odds of getting out of the situation and surviving?

If I can get out of arms reach, my odds just increased 98% with a knife... can't say the same for a gun.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #22
Refugee
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,593
Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Yes, but which one would you like to play your odds of getting out of the situation and surviving?

If I can get out of arms reach, my odds just increased 98% with a knife... can't say the same for a gun.
well personally, if someone came at ME with a knife, 98% of the time i'd probably be able to defend myself and put them down. see if you can guess why?

true, you can survive a knife moreso than a gun. i guess my point was being killed with a knife is worse than a gun most of the time. that isnt a reason AGAINST gun control or anything, just pointing out that people will kill eachother with whatever they can get their hands on.
__________________
bigjohn2441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,486
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
just pointing out that people will kill eachother with whatever they can get their hands on.


yes, but the gun certainly makes it easier.

i think there are perfectly acceptable reasons why people own guns and i do think it's fairly clear in the Constitution.

however, i think it's also clear that this "freedom" has resulted in the highest murder rate in the Western world because the wide availability of guns makes it so easy to murder someone. it's the proverbial Saturday Night Specials that worries me, and the fact that the mere presence of a gun in the home increases the likelihood of a murder in said home by a factor of, what ... 100? more?

there are responsible gun owners. i think it's better for kids to learn about gun safety. however, i think it's inarguable that those who won't have guns taken from their "cold, dead hands" also have blood on their hands. they are responsible for the shocking rates of murder in cities like DC, Philly, Detroit, and Baltimore. that's all one-on-one handgun murder. and the murder rate in those cities is absolutely due to the widespread availability of guns. not in DC you say? guns are illegal in DC? yes, they are, but pretty easy to get in VA and MD.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,673
Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
true, you can survive a knife moreso than a gun. i guess my point was being killed with a knife is worse than a gun most of the time. that isnt a reason AGAINST gun control or anything, just pointing out that people will kill eachother with whatever they can get their hands on.
Yes, and my point is that while these other things have other applications, a gun has one, and while the others I'd be willing to bet I can outrun, a gun I can't.

I think the "people kill with other things" argument is a weak one, and should be avoided...
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #25
Refugee
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,593
Local Time: 01:08 PM
look, my 2nd amendment rights say i should be able to have this:

YouTube - fastest gun, 36 barrels.

but in all seriousness, im not some crazy right-winger gun nut hiding in my basement hoarding ammo worrying about Obama taking my guns away. im all for it if they could come up with gun control that could keep them out of the hands of criminals and crackpots, while not totally restricting law-abiding citizens that use them for self-defense and sport. so what if it's a little bit more of a pain in the ass for me to get ammo or whatever, if it saves lives thats a pretty good tradeoff.

too bad i dont see it happening.
__________________
bigjohn2441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:36 AM   #26
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post

true, you can survive a knife moreso than a gun. i guess my point was being killed with a knife is worse than a gun most of the time. that isnt a reason AGAINST gun control or anything, just pointing out that people will kill eachother with whatever they can get their hands on.
I disagree with that. It's easier to die from a knife wound than a gun. Knife wounds cause more damage to the body, and with internal bleeding and the risk of hitting a vein it's much easier to kill someone. A gun would require aim and precision with the shot, since it's frankly not that easy to make an instant kill unless you know where to aim for.

Ofcourse, this does not apply if some nut just keeps firing on people. But yeah, I hope you get the point.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:59 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 9,600
Local Time: 03:08 AM
I'm happy that this thread has given me the opportunity to mull over which I would most prefer, death by shooting, or death by a knife.

and theres no future
in englands dreaming!


__________________
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #28
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 06:08 PM
While this is a terrible story, and awful for everyone involved, I'm sure we could find examples of such for other countries.

Now can madforit please stop posting these awfully blinkered threads?

Capitalism's dead! Western Society's dead! Modern, materialistic living's dead!
etc, etc. One can always hope.
__________________
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:45 AM   #29
Refugee
 
MadForIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,232
Local Time: 06:08 AM
YEA but as i'm in the uk i ONLY care about the UK

If this was the states it would even make the news unless there is a minimum 45 people killed
__________________
MadForIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:57 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 9,600
Local Time: 03:08 AM
That's because there's more people in the states.

Well, that's one difference, anyhow.

I only care about things that happen in Australia, which is fuckin' awesome since nothing that gets discussed here concerns Australia! Imagine my liberation from the cares of office!
__________________

__________________
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com