Gov. Sanford Scandal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ Seriously? After all that? :huh: I'd automatically assumed he must have some psychological problems, because what else would a public official of his stature just up and disappear for days on end over.

I figured it was an affair. I guess that's what they're calling it these days hiking on the Appalachian Trail

I guess he was just e-mailing/speaking to her for years before they "hooked up" for about a year now. The wife knew about the affair before he went there this time, supposedly.

I guess that's what they're calling it these days hiking on the Appalachian Trail.
:lol:

If he was an 'ordinary guy' with an 'ordinary life' I'd have figured that likely too, but as it is, I guess this is just one of those Dude-what-the-hell-were-you-THINKING?? moments of incredulity for me. I mean, the guy was the president of the Republican Governors' Association, rising national star in the GOP, talked up as a 2012 Presidential candidate and all that--why would someone ambitious and disciplined enough to have made it that far suddenly do something as positively-begging-for-it-stupid as up and leaving the country for several days without telling either his staff or his family where he was going? If nothing else, how hard can it be to plan your 'exotic hiking trip' so that you've at least got a passable alibi and aren't pretty much guaranteed to return to heated speculations about your mysterious absence splashed all over the national papers?

Anyways, this would be a good time to be acquainted with some Southern humor blogs... :hmm:

Last edited:
I guess they just become so arrogant that they don't even think about the common sense questions. Maybe someone on his staff did know, and maybe he told his wife he was going there to break it off with the woman. I don't know, but it's like a soap opera.

Makes Silvio seem boring ;)

easy mistake to make - very similar to hiking that Appalachian trail.

:lol:

If he was an 'ordinary guy' with an 'ordinary life' I'd have figured that likely too, but as it is, I guess this is just one of those Dude-what-the-hell-were-you-THINKING?? moments of incredulity for me.

he forgot about the part
where he went through customs

and boarded an international flight to Argentina.

Don't cry for me Argentina

What happens in Buenos Aires stays in Bueno Aires,

or maybe not?

Mark Sanford Admits Extramarital Affair

Holly Bailey

In an emotional press conference this afternoon, South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford admitted that he had been cheating on his wife with a woman in Argentina, where he had been secretly vacationing the past six days. Sanford, who announced he was resigning his post as chairman of the Republican Governors Association, repeatedly apologized to his wife and kids and to his staff, whom he admitted misleading about his whereabouts. The governor’s aides told reporters yesterday that Sanford was hiking the Appalachian Trail, when in fact he was in Buenos Aires. “I’ve been unfaithful to my wife, and I developed a relationship with what started as a dear dear friend from Argentina,” Sanford said, tearfully.

The Gaggle : Mark Sanford Admits Extramarital Affair :sad:

wow, read this article

Sanford met in Atlanta after returning from South America - Local / Metro - The State

the guy just flat out lies, people have personal failings, that is understandable.

but this guy is not fit to serve in office, one can not go AWOL for days at a time.

This guy makes me like Eyes Wide Shut even more.

South Carolina Gov. Sanford Admits Being 'Unfaithful' to His Wife, After Secret Argentina Trip - Political News - FOXNews.com

Sanford explained that he had "developed a relationship with what started as a dear, dear friend" from Argentina. He said they first met eight years ago but the romantic relationship began more recently.

"It began very innocently as I suspect many of these things do ... Over this last year it developed into something much more than that," he said.

If this was recent he really didn't care much about his career.

I can't believe the media is now printing his personal emails with this woman.

I mean, I can believe it - but I don't understand why it's anyone's business. He disappeared, we know why, it's awful for everyone, but why do we need to know the content of email exchanges between them?

^ Hadn't heard about that until you mentioned it but, yeah, that's beyond the pale to me too. If I started into an article then discovered it contained chunks of his private e-love letters or whatever, I'd just stop reading.

These supposed emails could be fakes

I doubt he will ever confirm or deny

they seem a bit too contrived to me :shrug:

. You have a particular grace and calm that I adore. You have a level of sophistication that so fitting with your beauty. I could digress and say that you have the ability to give magnificent gentle kisses, or that I love your tan lines or that I love the curve of your hips, the erotic beauty of you holding yourself (or two magnificent parts of yourself) in the faded glow of the night’s light - but hey, that would be going into sexual details ...

Three and finally, while all the things above are all too true - at the same time we are in a hopelessly - or as you put it impossible - or how about combine and simply say hopelessly impossible situation of love. How in the world this lightening strike snuck up on us I am still not quite sure. As I have said to you before I certainly had a special feeling about you from the first time we met, but these feelings were contained and I genuinely enjoyed our special friendship and the comparing of all too many personal notes ...

Lastly I also suspect I feel a little vulnerable because this is ground I have never certainly never covered before - so if you have pearls of wisdom on how we figure all this out please let me know... In the meantime please sleep soundly knowing that despite the best efforts of my head my heart cries out for you, your voice, your body, the touch of your lips, the touch of your finger tips and an even deeper connection to your soul.”

Sanford must have a ghost writer.

PH2009062403633.jpg

somehow, I think this is worse than John Edwards

I totally agree with this opinion.

Salon.com | The strange nakedness of Mark Sanford

By Gary Kamiya

Jun. 25, 2009 |

When South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford told the world he had been having an extramarital affair, I didn't expect to feel any sympathy for him. The ritual in which a married, male politician appears in front of the cameras, confesses to having an affair, and asks his family, friends, constituents and God for forgiveness has become so familiar and formulaic that it usually feels like the sinner is reading from a teleprompter. I let my wife and kids down -- check. I let myself down -- check. I broke God's law -- check. The whole thing is a shtick, a plastic act of absolution performed by men who are just as plastic. Its banality, its creepy decorum, belittles everyone associated with it. There is no grand, destructive passion, no fire, no chaos. There are no Anna Kareninas, only their soulless husbands.

Moreover, I was hardly predisposed to cut Sanford any slack. From Bob Livingston to Newt Gingrich, the hypocrisy of sanctimonious, Bible-thumping, family-values-espousing GOP politicians who get caught with their pants down has become a national joke. Until Republicans abandon their judgmental moralism about all things sexual, their marital peccadilloes will inspire schadenfreude, not sympathy.

But something strange happened during Sanford's confession. He broke the formula. He got lost. He went too deep. He exposed his soul. He got all weird and human on us. His life had become an awful train wreck happening in front of the whole country, and it didn't seem like he had any idea of how it was going to end up and he didn't care who knew it. Instead of a press conference, we had been carried into some Eternal Bedroom of Misery that most of us have been in at one time or another, that room where marriages and love affairs -- all alike, all different -- come to a painful end. Surreal, jagged emotional shards flew through the air. "I spent the last five days of my life crying in Argentina." "I'm committed to trying to get my heart right." "The odyssey that we're all on in life is with regard to the heart." Sanford used some of the familiar rhetoric, speaking of God's law and asking for forgiveness, but this was not another blow-dried, prefab confession. It was unscripted. It was so intimate it was almost unwatchable.

Politicians, in particular Republicans from the South, are not known for psychological introspection. But Sanford talked like one of the id-excavating characters from "Six Feet Under." He sounded like a man who's been digging so deeply through his soul, was so wounded, so beyond quotidian concerns, that he didn't care anymore what anyone thought. He was following his own compass. Maybe that explains his almost unprecedented willingness to talk not just about his wife and their children, but his lover. He talked about how their "remarkable friendship" of eight years started, ironically, when she was separated from her husband and he tried to convince her to stay with him for the sake of their children. He recounted that a year ago, their friendship sparked into something "much more" -- not just "more," but "much more."

Unprompted, he talked of the period of time after they first became lovers as "that whole sparking thing," and went on to say that after they were discovered five months ago, they "went into overdrive trying to figure out where do you go from here." He said that during this agonizing, life-upside-down time, the one thing he absolutely wanted was "resolution." And he said that "While indeed from a heart level there was something real" between him and his lover, because of his wife, children, and where he and his lover were in their lives, they decided "it was a place that I couldn't go and she couldn't go."

These are not the kinds of thing that public figures who have been caught having affairs say. They go far beyond the necessary, the conventional, the tasteful. But as e-mails between Sanford and his lover show, this does not appear to have been a casual fling. This was not conventional or tasteful. This was a love affair. (When was the last time a public figure got caught in a love affair? It's always bimbo eruptions and high-priced hookers.) And Sanford was strung out. His wife separated from him two weeks ago, as a trial to strengthen their marriage, and he promptly headed to his purgatory in Argentina. He was obviously still burned by that fire. He looked and sounded like a man who has just been taken by Eros on a guided tour of heaven and hell -- mostly the latter.

I'm neither defending nor condemning Sanford -- such judgments, from outsiders, are meaningless. I know nothing whatsoever about Sanford, his wife or his lover. I also admit I might be wrong about him. He might simply be a good actor, who cynically donned a devastated mask to win sympathy. But I don't think so. Whatever happens to Sanford politically will happen, and it won't be pretty. He knew the rules of the game, he broke them and now he has to pay the price. But that press conference was about something much deeper than politics. It was awful, but it was real. And painful as it is, in the repressed American sexual landscape, reality is better than artifice. For the real enemy is not sin. The real enemy is plastic.

Good lord. I hear Harlequin romance accepts novels on spec.

lol

Ew, those e-mails should have been kept private. If any of the content was related to his job as governor the public had a right to know (did the lt gov even know where he was when he was really in Argentina?) but they don't need to know about the magnificent-parts- of - yourself stuff. I guess the media had those e-mails months ago when rumors started about his affair, don't know how they got them. They even e-mailed the woman and asked her to authenticate them-she never replied.

Who knew a Republican guy could be so poetic and romantic?

Jon Stewart apologized last night for having said South Carolina Mark Sanford was on the Appalachian Trail having sex with a coyote when in fact he was in Argentina having sex with a married woman.

Sanford held a press conference yesterday after being missing for seven days. He apologized to his wife and four sons for the betrayal and resigned as head of the Republican Governors Association. Stewart, who had hunkered down for an exciting announcement with popcorn and movie-sized soda, was disappointed saying:

"Oh, marital infidelity, you're just another run of the mill human being whose simple moralizing about the sanctity of marriage is only marred by the complexities of their own life. Well just another politician with a conservative mind and a liberal penis." :lol:

Stewart was, of course, referencing Sanford's views on marriage which he thought should only be between a man and a woman.

Um...wtf? :huh:

Limbaugh Blames Sanford's Affair On Obama, Because Why Not?

Naturally, the question is: Who is to blame for all of this. And the answer is Mark Sanford. Or is it?* You see, Rush Limbaugh, from the "Excellence In Broadcasting" network, has excellently broadcast an excellent theory of who is really to blame.

LIMBAUGH: This Sanford business! I'll tell you, one of the first thoughts that crossed my mind, with Mark Sanford ... this is the first thought: What he did defies logic. This is ... more than being 180 degrees out of phase because of lust, or love. To split the scene for five days, and we know he's been separated, and he knows, by the way, that the newspaper in his state has the emails between him and his concubine down there in Argentina, he knows this. He knows that somebody knows what's going on. He knows his wife knows. So he ups and leaves for five days, doesn't leave anybody in charge of the state, in case there's an emergency.

Right about now, you imagine that Limbaugh is building up to some "thinking with his penis" type of statement, right? But no!

LIMBAUGH: This is almost like: I don't give a damn! Country's going to hell in a handbasket. I just want out of here!

Uhm. .. what?

LIMBAUGH: He had just tried to fight the stimulus money coming to South Carolina. He didn't want any part of it. He lost the battle and said "What the hell? The Federal government is taking over! I want to enjoy life!"

And it goes on from there. Apparently, it's all President Barack Obama's fault, for killing people's "spirit," and making them so "fed up" with the SADNESS that they've got no other choice but to abdicate their grown-up responsibilities and start philandering "before Obama takes away their money" and "their house." And Bill Clinton was in Argentina "the other night," too! So everyone is going to Buenos Aires, for succor. It will be a marvel and a wonder if any 2012 contender hasn't logged some serious time with Latin American mistresses.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that this is a very cunning plan by President Obama, who somehow managed to depress Sanford's spirits so much that he started having an affair months before Obama even became President and started enacting policies.

eta - maybe this Sanford stuff should be split into a new thread?

Mark Sanford biggest regret

he should have timed his news conference for the day after the Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson death media shit storms - poor guy.

maria_belen_chapur.png

this is the Maria that inspires poetry?
hmmmmm

You have a level of sophistication that so fitting with your beauty.
I could digress and say that you have the ability to give magnificent gentle kisses,
or that I love your tan lines
or that I love the curve of your hips,
the erotic beauty of you holding yourself (or two magnificent parts of yourself) in the faded glow of the night’s light

Now he's rejecting calls to resign.

It's up to his electorate (and I suppose to an extent the national GOP) whether it's worth it to them to stand up and demand that, but if he were my governor I'm pretty sure I would. Not because of the affair--if anything, queasiness at the spectacle of people eagerly tarring and feathering a political official over something so private would make me think twice--but because of the extraordinary professional irresponsibility shown by going AWOL for days on end and lying to people who absolutely should've at least known where he was about it.

And this detail I don't get (from the WaPo):
"While the purpose of this trip was an entirely professional and appropriate business development trip, I made a mistake while I was there in meeting with the woman who I was unfaithful to my wife with," Sanford said in the statement. "That has raised some very legitimate concerns and questions, and as such I am going to reimburse the state for the full cost of the Argentina leg of this trip."
How is there even a rationale for this having been "an entirely professional and appropriate business development trip"? Did I miss something?

Last edited:
Jenny Sanford discusses husband's infidelity

'I had every hope he was not going to see her,' she says of the governor's five-day trip to Argentina to visit another woman.
Associated Press

June 27, 2009

Sullivans Island, S.C. — South Carolina first lady Jenny Sanford sat in her oceanfront living room Friday, recalling how her husband repeatedly asked permission to visit his lover in the months after she discovered his affair.

"I said absolutely not. It's one thing to forgive adultery; it's another thing to condone it,
" Jenny Sanford told The Associated Press during a 20-minute interview at the coastal home where she sought refuge with their four sons. They were her first extended comments on the affair.

She said that when her husband, Gov. Mark Sanford, inexplicably disappeared last week, she hoped he was hiking on the Appalachian Trail, as his staff told those who inquired about his absence. That he had dared to go to Argentina to see the other woman left her stunned.

"He was told in no uncertain terms not to see her," she said in a strong, steady voice. "I was hoping he was on the Appalachian Trail. But I was not worried about his safety. I was hoping he was doing some real soul-searching somewhere and devastated to find out it was Argentina. It's tragic."

The Sanfords separated about two weeks ago. She said her husband told the family that he wanted some time away to work on writing a book and clear his head.

The first lady said, "I had every hope he was not going to see her.

"You would think that a father who didn't have contact with his children, if he wanted those children, he would toe the line a little bit," she said.

Sanford, who is staying at the official residence in Columbia, returned Wednesday to end days of speculation on his whereabouts, publicly confess his cheating and give an emotional apology.

Sanford said she discovered her husband's affair early this year after coming across a copy of a letter to the mistress in one of his files in the official governor's mansion. He had asked her to find some financial information, she said, not an unusual request considering her heavy involvement in his career.

She would not comment on what was in the letter except to say "enough to figure out an affair was going on."

She felt "shocked and obviously deeply hurt. I didn't think he had it in him," she said. "It's hard to find out your husband is not who you thought he was."

The first lady said she confronted her husband immediately, and he agreed to end the affair. She said she wasn't sure Friday whether he had done so.

"I guess that's what we will have to see. I believe he has," she said. "But he was down there for five days. I saw him yesterday and he is not staying here. We'll just see what kind of spirit of reconciliation he has himself."

this guy rally is a worm

Back
Top Bottom