GOP Nominee 2012 - Pt. 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen and heard about 20 versions of that conversation now (♂: "Ew, really?" ♀: "Yeah."). :lol:

Last edited:
i find nothing sexy about Paul Ryan. nothing.

oh, wait, i've just invited an Irish accented scolding about reverse sexism because all of FYM would freak out if we talked about Hillary's sexiness or lack thereof ...

oh, wait, i've just invited an Irish accented scolding about reverse sexism because all of FYM would freak out if we talked about Hillary's sexiness or lack thereof ...

I wouldn't care if people said they found her attractive. Or even if they didn't.

If they started calling her an "ugly hag" or something like that, however, that I would take issue with. It's one thing to say somebody isn't your type, it's quite another to trash their looks.

Anywho, Paul Ryan seems to have sorta similar facial features as Matthew Morrison, who plays the glee club teacher on "Glee". That's about all I got for him.

Does Paul Ryan have cellulite? Wear a witch outfit and ride on a broomstick?

He's built like a clothes hanger and wears big giant Dad pants. Just my taste, I can see why other people would find him attractive. Before he opens his mouth of course :wink: Might be that tall, black hair w/pale skin attraction, not that I've ever had that. Then again I used to think Edwards was attractive so wtf do I know.

He is cute. A RILF.

I have two words for you to cleanse your palate. Training camp :D

TMZ got a shirtless Paul Ryan photo. Nah, not tc material

0817-paul-ryan-tmz-5.jpg

"America is more than just a place, though. America is an idea. It's the only country founded on an idea."
--Paul Ryan, Aug 2012

Where have I heard that before? :hmm:

Interesting. But what we really want to know is where do you stand on Sarah Palin vs Joe Biden? :wink:

"America is more than just a place, though. America is an idea. It's the only country founded on an idea."
--Paul Ryan, Aug 2012

Of course we liberals roundly disagree with that sentiment. We all know that America is BIG GOVERNMENT!!

Amiright, fellow liberals?

**crickets**

INDY500 said:
--Paul Ryan, Aug 2012

From a certain liberal Irish singer?

:tsk: U2 is conservative band, Phil. Just like Bruce and Rage. . .

It is funny how so many liberal artists seem to get dragged into conservative politicians' discussions and rallies and such. If they like the bands, that's fine, but if you're going to tie songs to political mindsets, probably helps to, I dunno, pay attention to the lyrics first, perhaps.

NY Times August 20th

Romney Statement on Abortion Contradicts Ryan’s Earlier Stance

By TRIP GABRIEL and MICHAEL D. SHEAR

A campaign statement that neither Mitt Romney nor Representative Paul D. Ryan opposes abortion in rape cases contradicts Mr. Ryan’s earlier position on the issue.

The statement was issued late Sunday in response to a widely condemned comment earlier in the day by Representative Todd Akin, the Republican Senate nominee from Missouri, that in cases of what he called “legitimate rape,’’ women’s bodies reject a pregnancy. Mr. Akin was explaining why he opposes abortion in the case of rape.

“Governor Romney and Congressman Ryan disagree with Mr. Akin’s statement, and a Romney-Ryan administration would not oppose abortion in instances of rape,’’ a Romney campaign spokeswoman, Amanda Henneberg, wrote.

Although Mr. Romney has stated this position before, Mr. Ryan, a seven-term congressman from Wisconsin, has opposed abortion in the case of rape. During his first run for the seat in 1998, The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported that he opposed abortions in all cases except to save the life of the mother.

More recently, Mr. Ryan was a co-sponsor of a House bill last year defining human life as beginning with fertilization and granting “personhood’’ rights to embryos, a movement that supporters say will outlaw abortions in all cases, and may also restrict some forms of birth control.

Furor over Mr. Akin’s remarks, which he later retracted, may bring new attention to the most uncompromising wing of the antiabortion movement, complicating the Republican ticket’s efforts to appeal to women voters.

President Obama, who has a commanding lead in polls with women, has already pressed the issue. The day after Mr. Ryan was announced as the vice-presidential pick, the Obama campaign’s Twitter account published a message:

@BarackObama

Make sure the women in your life know: Paul Ryan supports banning all abortions, even in cases of rape or incest.

Mr. Romney has had his own complicated history with the abortion issue. He was what he now calls “effectively pro-choice’’ early in his political career, but became an abortion opponent when he was confronted with a bill on stem cell research as governor of Massachusetts.

Since then, he has opposed abortion, but — unlike his running mate — has said the procedure should be legal in the cases of rape or incest.

That hasn’t stopped Democrats from using the issue against him, especially in the wake of Mr. Romney’s repeated promise to end federal funding of Planned Parenthood because the group performs abortions.

In an interview last March, Mr. Romney elaborated on his desire to end funding of programs that he deems unnecessary. “Of course you get rid of ‘Obamacare,’ that’s the easy one, but there are others,” he said. “Planned Parenthood, we’re going to get rid of that.”

That line has made it into several Democratic videos and ads.

A campaign commercial from Mr. Obama’s campaign went even further, accusing Mr. Romney of supporting “overturning Roe versus Wade” and alleging that “Romney backed a bill that outlaws all abortion, even in case of rape and incest.”

Aides to Mr. Romney have been particularly angry about that last charge, since Mr. Romney has said explicitly that he supports rape and incest exceptions. Independent fact checkers have said that charge is false.

it is a bit odd, all this focus on Ryan

we do not have co-presidencies. I don't recall anyone going on about Biden's views or opinions in 2008. I am sure Obama's and Biden's views were not a model match. Of course if a VP nom gets out there and mis-speaks that does get play.

this is kind of showing Romney's weakness, that he keeps touting Ryan because he realizes he alone is not strong enough to win?

we do not have co-presidencies. I don't recall anyone going on about Biden's views or opinions in 2008.
That's because most people find Obama far more interesting than Biden. Ditto for Palin compared to McCain. It doesn't seem clear yet that all that many people find Ryan that much more interesting than Romney, but for now at least, he's a new opportunity to attempt manufacturing some controversy in an election where the number of undecideds is as low as it's been in decades and the average voter is getting exceedingly tired of hearing about it all. It'll be interesting to see what kind of a splash the conventions manage to make, if any.

Last edited:

we do not have co-presidencies. I don't recall anyone going on about Biden's views or opinions in 2008. I am sure Obama's and Biden's views were not a model match. Of course if a VP nom gets out there and mis-speaks that does get play.

this is kind of showing Romney's weakness, that he keeps touting Ryan because he realizes he alone is not strong enough to win?
I think part of the reason Ryan will be in the news a lot is because Romney's views are perceived as lacking definition. By finally committing to a candidate, there will be questions as to whether or not he's signalling a strong stance on this issue or that one.

--Paul Ryan, Aug 2012

Strictly speaking, the Umayyad and Abbasid caliphates were also founded on an idea.
So was the Holy Roman Empire.

--Paul Ryan, Aug 2012

Strictly speaking, the Umayyad and Abbasid caliphates were also founded on an idea.
So was the Holy Roman Empire.

Best post in the thread.

Plus Paul Ryan has clearly not read a single sentence of New Zealand history. If you want a country founded on ideas - Wakefieldianism being foremost - then there's one (South Australia would count too if it were a country). I suppose it's too much to hope somebody might hit him around the head with a copy of Miles Fairburn's The Ideal Society and Its Enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom