GOP Nominee 2012 - Pt. 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul Ryan is Romney's attack dog, and will make Mitt seem more conservative. He's not boring like Pawlenty, he's young, and has definite appeal to certain voters. I think it's a brilliant choice :shrug:

Diemen said:
Could you resist making this personal?

Could we be consistent when calling someone out on getting personal? There's a poster who has had free reign in name calling and personal attacks as of late.

Paul Ryan is Romney's attack dog, and will make Mitt seem more conservative. He's not boring like Pawlenty, he's young, and has definite appeal to certain voters. I think it's a brilliant choice :shrug:

Sarah Palin had many of these qualities too. He may energize the base, but won't do a lot to sway undecided voters. He works in an institution with a 16% approval rating.

I exempt you from that comment. I think your posts display a humility and willingness to challenge and be challenged that is mostly lacking in the contributions from the other left wing posters on here. Age may not necessarily bring wisdom!

Well, thanks for the nice words. But I dunno, I think everyone, or at least, most everyone, has their own moments like that on here, too.

So. Paul Ryan's the VP pick, eh?

Woooooo. *Twirls finger unenthusiastically*

mittens used to love us. :sad:

mitt-romney-bay-windows.jpg

Yeah, what about those social conditions?

jezebel.com

Catholic Newspaper Calls Obama ‘More Pro-Life’ Than Romney
Erin Gloria Ryan

Now that he's picked a running mate who basically believes that fetuses should run things, Mitt Romney seems to have his "pro-life" cred sewn up. After all, he's against abortion, his friends are against abortion, and his new bromantic partner is super extra against it. And that should bring all the religious anti-abortion folk to the yard. But not so fast, Mittens — at least one Catholic newspaper isn't buying it.

Nicholas P. Cafardi at the National Catholic Reporter argues that while President Obama is in favor of supporting a woman's right to choose, he doesn't support social conditions that can lead women to feel compelled to choose abortion. He writes,

There is no doubt Obama is pro-choice. He has said so many times. There is also no doubt Romney is running on what he calls a pro-life platform. But any honest analysis of the facts shows the situation is much more complicated than that.

For example, Obama's Affordable Care Act does not pay for abortions. In Massachusetts, Romney's health care law does. Obama favors, and included in the Affordable Care Act, $250 million of support for vulnerable pregnant women and alternatives to abortion. This support will make abortions much less likely, since most abortions are economic. Romney, on the other hand, has endorsed Wisconsin Republican Paul Ryan's budget, which will cut hundreds of millions of dollars out of the federal plans that support poor women. The undoubted effect: The number of abortions in the United States will increase. On these facts, Obama is much more pro-life than Romney.

Uh oh. Sense talk ahead.

Cafardi's right, of course — thinking you can reduce the number of abortions by making abortion illegal and then making life extra crappy for women so they'd be more likely to want to have abortions is sort of like a pitcher walking all of the batters in baseball so none of them hit home runs and then acting all confused when the score keeps increasing. Sure, some abortions will always be matters of "convenience" or "lifestyle," two reasons for terminating a pregnancy often sneered at by the anti-abortion rights set, but many of those "convenience" abortions occur because it's not very "convenient" when you're a single woman trying to live on a minimum wage income and you're not getting any help from anyone.

Further, argues Cafardi, while Obama advocates for legal abortions for women who choose them, he's never profited from abortion. And Mitt Romney has. Kind of a lot. In fact, while Mitt Romney was actively involved with Bain, the firm purchased Stericycle, a company that disposes of aborted fetal remains. In its early years, Bain was financed by money from people who were tied to Central American death squads. Romney made Monopoly Man Doffing His Top Hat amounts of money from these transactions. Hardly "pro-life," that.

So, if you're pro-choice or pro-life, it seems that one candidate is the clear choice. What does that make the other guy?

Some teenage girls started a petition on change.org to make this happen. Rather pathetic that they even had to do that. These guys can talk about all of these women's issues and try to get votes by using those issues, but we haven't had a female moderator in 20 freaking years.

A woman is to moderate a US general election presidential debate for the first time in 20 years.

Candy Crowley of CNN has been named as one of three top broadcasters to oversee the three presidential debates between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney in October.

In addition, Martha Raddatz of ABC News will moderate the vice-presidential debate between Joe Biden and Paul Ryan.

Romney, on the other hand, has endorsed Wisconsin Republican Paul Ryan's budget, which will cut hundreds of millions of dollars out of the federal plans that support poor women. The undoubted effect: The number of abortions in the United States will increase. On these facts, Obama is much more pro-life than Romney.

Finally someone's saying it.

Cafardi's right, of course — thinking you can reduce the number of abortions by making abortion illegal and then making life extra crappy for women so they'd be more likely to want to have abortions is sort of like a pitcher walking all of the batters in baseball so none of them hit home runs and then acting all confused when the score keeps increasing. Sure, some abortions will always be matters of "convenience" or "lifestyle," two reasons for terminating a pregnancy often sneered at by the anti-abortion rights set, but many of those "convenience" abortions occur because it's not very "convenient" when you're a single woman trying to live on a minimum wage income and you're not getting any help from anyone.

Ta-da. Thank you.

Not to mention, the Republicans will do anything to distract voters from the fact that their economic plans, if they have any, aren't anything new and helpful to your average citizen. It's the same old strategy that's been used for years: talk about "culture war" issues to get the base all riled up so you don't have to answer actual questions about the economy and why your economic plans favor your rich buddies yet again instead of the middle and lower classes you claim to care so much about.

Ta-da. Thank you.

Not to mention, the Republicans will do anything to distract voters from the fact that their economic plans, if they have any, aren't anything new and helpful to your average citizen. It's the same old strategy that's been used for years: talk about "culture war" issues to get the base all riled up so you don't have to answer actual questions about the economy and why your economic plans favor your rich buddies yet again instead of the middle and lower classes you claim to care so much about.

I actually think that Obama has done a very effective job of hijacking the "culture wars" to energize the left and distract a lot of people from the state of the economy as well. I know a lot of leftists who have become single issue social issue voters, which upsets me.

I line up economically with Obama over Romney/Ryan, but the way that Obama has run this campaign has been a bit disappointing to me, even though it is effective, and even though I also am pretty hard left on social issues.

I thought Donna Brazil (sp?) had moderated a debate back in 2008. Was it not a presidential debate?

Devo is still around? What about the rights of flowerpots, they don't want to be on somebody's head :( Bravo to don't roof rack me bro, that is funny.

Devo to release song about Mitt Romney's dog
Aug. 15, 2012, 10:06 AM EST

By Rolling Stone

Devo are set to release a track later this month entitled "Don't Roof Rack Me, Bro! (Remember Seamus)." It is inspired by Mitt Romney's notorious road trip from Massachusetts to Ontario, during which he transported the family dog, Seamus, in a kennel strapped to the roof of his station wagon.

According to the Orchard, the distributor behind the track, the digital single will be released on August 25th.

The track also comes as Devo's founder and commercial director, Gerald V. Casale, kicks off his Remember Seamus campaign, which is supposed to help "make 2012 the year where animals like Seamus are valued and honesty is praised."

Devo is also helping to back Dogs Against Romney, with Casale designing a special edition shirt for the group. Casale is also involved in an upcoming smartphone game called "The Crate Escape: Seamus Unleashed," which sees release on August 26th, otherwise known as National Dog Day.

Apparently, Paul Ryan is a big Rage Against the Machine fan. Tom Morello is understandably confused. He wrote an OpEd for Rolling Stone.

Paul Ryan's love of Rage Against the Machine is amusing, because he is the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades. Charles Manson loved the Beatles but didn't understand them. Governor Chris Christie loves Bruce Springsteen but doesn't understand him. And Paul Ryan is clueless about his favorite band, Rage Against the Machine.

Ryan claims that he likes Rage's sound, but not the lyrics. Well, I don't care for Paul Ryan's sound or his lyrics. He can like whatever bands he wants, but his guiding vision of shifting revenue more radically to the one percent is antithetical to the message of Rage.

I wonder what Ryan's favorite Rage song is? Is it the one where we condemn the genocide of Native Americans? The one lambasting American imperialism? Our cover of "Fuck the Police"? Or is it the one where we call on the people to seize the means of production? So many excellent choices to jam out to at Young Republican meetings!

Don't mistake me, I clearly see that Ryan has a whole lotta "rage" in him: A rage against women, a rage against immigrants, a rage against workers, a rage against gays, a rage against the poor, a rage against the environment. Basically the only thing he's not raging against is the privileged elite he's groveling in front of for campaign contributions.

You see, the super rich must rationalize having more than they could ever spend while millions of children in the U.S. go to bed hungry every night. So, when they look themselves in the mirror, they convince themselves that "Those people are undeserving. They're . . . lesser." Some of these guys on the extreme right are more cynical than Paul Ryan, but he seems to really believe in this stuff. This unbridled rage against those who have the least is a cornerstone of the Romney-Ryan ticket.

But Rage's music affects people in different ways. Some tune out what the band stands for and concentrate on the moshing and throwing elbows in the pit. For others, Rage has changed their minds and their lives. Many activists around the world, including organizers of the global occupy movement, were radicalized by Rage Against the Machine and work tirelessly for a more humane and just planet. Perhaps Paul Ryan was moshing when he should have been listening.

My hope is that maybe Paul Ryan is a mole. Maybe Rage did plant some sensible ideas in this extreme fringe right wing nut job. Maybe if elected, he'll pardon Leonard Peltier. Maybe he'll throw U.S. military support behind the Zapatistas. Maybe he'll fill Guantanamo Bay with the corporate criminals that are funding his campaign – and then torture them with Rage music 24/7. That's one possibility. But I'm not betting on it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-the-machine-our-music-rages-against-20120816

He must listen to them while doing his P90X. Maybe he has pent up RAGE.

I think Christie understands Bruce perfectly fine-as a person and his lyrics. Don't think any schism disqualifies him from being a fan.

Even Obama doesn't seem to get what We Take Care Of Our Own is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom