GOP Nominee 2012 - Pt. 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huffington Post

Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, who has pledged to repeal Obamacare, says that people without health insurance don't have to worry about dying as a result.

"We don't have people that become ill, who die in their apartment because they don't have insurance," Romney said in an interview with the Columbus Dispatch's editorial board on Wednesday.

While it's difficult to tell how many people die each year from lack of health insurance, one study, from a health care advocacy group, puts the number at 26,000 deaths per year.

"We don't have a setting across this country where if you don’t have insurance, we just say to you, 'Tough luck, you're going to die when you have your heart attack,'" he added in the interview. "No, you go to the hospital, you get treated, you get care, and it’s paid for, either by charity, the government or by the hospital."

Romney took a similar stance in an interview with CBS' "60 Minutes" in late September, when he said: "We do provide care for people who don't have insurance. If someone has a heart attack, they don't sit in their apartment and die. We pick them up in an ambulance, and take them to the hospital, and give them care.

Huffington Post

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney will no longer bring up Glen Doherty, a former Navy SEAL killed in the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya, the campaign said Wednesday in response to a complaint from Doherty's mother.

"Governor Romney was inspired by the memory of meeting Glen Doherty and shared his story and that memory. We respect the wishes of Mrs. Doherty though," campaign aide Kevin Madden told BuzzFeed.

On Tuesday, Romney spoke to supporters in Iowa, recalling a chance encounter with a former Navy SEAL while mistakenly attending a Christmas party in San Diego a few years ago.

“I met some remarkable people, one of whom was a former Navy SEAL," Romney said. "I just learned a few days ago that he was one of the two former Navy SEALs killed in Benghazi. It broke my heart.”

Romney didn't directly provide Doherty's name, but his campaign later confirmed his identity. He was one of four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens, killed during a violent assault on the consulate in Benghazi last month.

Boston's WHDH later reached out to Doherty's mother, Barbara, to get her reaction to Romney's campaign trail anecdote.

"I don't trust Romney. He shouldn't make my son's death part of his political agenda," she told WHDH. "It's wrong to use these brave young men, who wanted freedom for all, to degrade Obama.”

Doherty similarly decried the politicization of her son's death in an interview with the Boston Herald last month.

Glen Doherty's friend, Elf Ellefsen, also spoke with Seattle's KIRO, expressing similar disagreement with Romney's mention of his friend's death.

According to Ellefsen, Doherty found his exchange with Romney to be "insincere and stale."

"Mitt Romney approached him ultimately four times, using this private gathering as a political venture to further his image," Ellefsen told KIRO. "He kept introducing himself as Mitt Romney, a political figure. The same introduction, the same opening line ... [Doherty] said it was pathetic and comical to have the same person come up to you within only a half hour, have this person reintroduce himself to you, having absolutely no idea whatsoever that he just did this 20 minutes ago, and did not even recognize Glen's face."

Romney had again made mention of his meeting with Doherty in the wake of these reports on Wednesday during a town hall event in Ohio.

UPDATE: 9:58 p.m. -- Doherty's sister, Kate Quigley, told CNN Wednesday evening she doesn't share her mother's anger about Romney using her brother's story, saying Doherty "would be the first one to reach across party lines and diffuse the situation."

"The fact of the matter is what Governor Mitt Romney said about my brother Glen is true, and he called him a hero and we're honored by that," Quigley said. "And we're honored by what Obama did for the homecoming. The fact of the matter is being an American hero can be completely bipartisan and everybody wants to point fingers and play the blame game -- let's blame the terrorists."

MrsSpringsteen said:
Huffington Post

Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, who has pledged to repeal Obamacare, says that people without health insurance don't have to worry about dying as a result.

"We don't have people that become ill, who die in their apartment because they don't have insurance," Romney said in an interview with the Columbus Dispatch's editorial board on Wednesday.

While it's difficult to tell how many people die each year from lack of health insurance, one study, from a health care advocacy group, puts the number at 26,000 deaths per year.

"We don't have a setting across this country where if you don’t have insurance, we just say to you, 'Tough luck, you're going to die when you have your heart attack,'" he added in the interview. "No, you go to the hospital, you get treated, you get care, and it’s paid for, either by charity, the government or by the hospital."

Romney took a similar stance in an interview with CBS' "60 Minutes" in late September, when he said: "We do provide care for people who don't have insurance. If someone has a heart attack, they don't sit in their apartment and die. We pick them up in an ambulance, and take them to the hospital, and give them care.

So he's fine with an inefficient and expensive form of universal, government-funded sick care instead of one that uses cheaper, preventative care?

Jesus Christ.

Wow, Romney really doesn't have the first clue about what going without health insurance is like for someone, does he? Good god, what an idiot.

What's being said to and about her is wrong. Like she's some sort of traitor to the black race. That's the issue, no matter how much some people try to say otherwise. She thinks for herself, as an individual.

It certainly is her right as an American citizen.

Agreed. I hate that whole, "Well, you HAVE to vote for x candidate because they're the same race/gender/religion/etc. as you" mentality. Same goes for using that sort of "thinking" to vote against someone.

That guy is an asshole along with all the musicians that bitch about one side of the politicians using their material.

I have been watching this debate for years, if Springsteen or any of them want to put disclaimers on their cds and concert tickets that say if your are a conservative or Republican, do not buy my products, I only accept money from people that agree with me, than I have no problem with them wanting to limit who uses their music.

An MMA fighter could be blasting Lennon's "Give Peace A Chance" as he was bashing somebody's skull in, as long as he paid ASCAP the licensing fee.

Charity president: Paul Ryan "did nothing" at soup kitchen photo-op - CBS News

Updated Tuesday, 2:34 P.M. Eastern Time

The head of a charity in northeastern Ohio where Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan and his family were photographed cleaning dishes over the weekend said Monday that Ryan was not authorized to be on the premises and "did nothing" while there.

Brian J. Antal, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society in Youngstown, told the Washington Post that the Romney campaign had not asked to make the Saturday visit to the soup kitchen. He said that he runs an apolitical faith-based organization which has bylaws barring it from hosting political candidates, and that the visit jeopardized donations from private individuals.

"They showed up there and they did not have permission," he said. "They got one of the volunteers to open up the doors." Antag added that Ryan and his family "did nothing" while on the premises.

"He just came in here to get his picture taken at the dining hall," he said.

Ryan was photographed cleaning "large metal pans that did not appear to be dirty" during a 15-minute visit, the Post previously reported. While television cameras rolled and photographers snapped pictures, the Wisconsin congressman discussed washing dishes while he was younger. He said he would get calluses on his fingers due to the heat from the industrial machine.

When Ryan arrived on the site in the early afternoon, the kitchen was clean and the dining area was empty, according to a pool report. After his time in the kitchen Ryan spoke to homeless people outside the soup kitchen, but reporters were kept from monitoring the conversation.

The Romney campaign said the visit was designed to highlight the work of soup kitchen volunteers. As the video above shows, Ryan greeted five or six adults volunteers and two children before going back to the kitchen.

UPDATE: The Vinidicator, in Youngstown, reports that according to Juanita Sherba, the coordinator who gave Ryan permission to come to the soup kitchen, Ryan did wash dirty dishes while he was there. The newspaper reports that Ryan's staff asked volunteers "to leave some pots and pans unwashed so the VP nominee and his family could do something when he arrived."

"We had to save dishes," she said. "We would have gone home by the time he arrived. We didn't need him to do the dishes. It was getting late, and I said that we were closing in five minutes. I waited longer than that, and he finally arrived."

Sherba expressed regret that she had allowed the visit to take place.

"It was the phoniest piece of baloney I've ever been associated with," she said. "In hindsight, I would have never let him in the door."

Brian Antal, meanwhile, has rescinded his claim from Monday that Ryan did not clean any dirty dishes. He told NBC News he had been erroneously told that was the case by a volunteer. The Washington Post reported Tuesday that Antal has voted in Democratic primaries since at least 1995.

What women in the swing states care about:

Gallup_-_women.jpg

I'm at the point where I believe this election is Romney's to lose now... which is crazy considering a month ago I didn't think he had a snowballs chance in hell.

I think there's still a chance he could win the popular vote, but without Ohio I still don't think he can win the Electoral College. And I really don't think he can take Ohio, especially with the early voting turnouts.

Plus, it's still too early after Tuesday's debate to get a read on if the polls will shift back to Obama.

yes, Romney wins

it goes to a vote in the 435 member House of Representatives

"The Representatives from each state would get together and vote and the winner would be that state's vote. Each state makes a vote, so there are 50 different votes cast," "Because there are so many small states that are Republican and they have equal weight as [larger Democratic states], it would likely end up to Mitt Romney."

on that map, I will say very good chance Romney gets Florida, the people that go to the polls may choose Obama just like in 2000 they chose Gore,
the GOP machine is even stronger now, than it was in 2000, how and if some votes are counted, = Romney win

also, pretty good chance Romney can win in VA, not a for sure thing, bit good chance, with those two, the real factor, the only one that really counts is Ohio, yes, I know he needs to get one other small state, and at least one more is likely

but without Ohio, a few other small states will not be enough

mikal said:
Yeah, but add up the likely wins for Obama and Romney's best chance is a tie at 269.

Speaking of, does anyone know the tiebreaker if that actually happens?

The House would elect the POTUS, but in a method were each state gets one vote (that vote presumably decided by popular vote of that state's representatives). The Senate would then elect the VPOTUS, I believe by popular vote. However, the procedures on that are somewhat messily defined. For instance, I believe it's questionable whether Biden would get a vote in the case of a tie in the Senate, which is somewhat possible (I believe the vote would happen after the new Congress is inaugurated, but, again, this is all very vaguely defined). It would be nice to avoid that. I'd prefer a Romney presidency to a tie in the EC. If I were an electoral pledged to one candidate in the case of a tie, I would vote for the other to avoid having it go to Congress.

On the Real Clear Politics site

one candidate is 5 electoral votes ahead >>>>>>>>>>> Romney

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map

According to the Electoral Vote site

one candidate is 38 electoral votes ahead (and 67 if putting statistical ties in the toss-up category) >>> Obama
:shrug:

Let's say it's tight at the moment (though the fundamentals are probably still leaning to Obama).

Not sure what you mean by that

It was a smart ass comment. I mean - when push comes to shove - the same number of people that were watching Bill Clinton's incredibly important speech at the DNC - were watching Honey Boo Boo that night.

So we can pretend that X% of those women surveyed (and if it were men, I'd have said sports or something) actually care about those things - primarily - or we can just admit that there are a significant number of men and women in this country that care a lot more about superficial pop culture entertainment BS than about the real issues facing this country, regardless of what that survey tells us that 'swing state women' care about.

And these people are choosing the next President. Not you or I. These are the people that somehow remain undecided. So whether they are labeled swing state women or red state men, there is a percentage of ALL of these groups that are just plain uninformed. Whether they are registered to vote or not.

And also, I am of the opinion that the debates are highly rated - only because these vapid drones are on Twitter - and it was trending everywhere.

And this has always been true but social media has made it worse.
Maybe that is a thread unto itself. The dumbing down of America.

I'm at the point where I believe this election is Romney's to lose now... which is crazy considering a month ago I didn't think he had a snowballs chance in hell.

I would not go quite that far, I keep sliding around, putting his odds between 46 % and 51.3 %

these 67 - 70+ % for Obama are way too high

Men watch Honey Boo Boo and women watch sports. I just finished watching the ALCS. I watch sports and reality shows and still have the brains to make an informed voting decision . Many people do the same thing.

I think things are so bad for some people that they want an escape. Doesn't automatically mean they're dumb - or dumbed down.

I've never watched Honey Boo Boo-not my thing and I feel sorry for the kid. I've seen clips on The Soup.

Once again, an indicator that this election is truly a referendum on the intelligence of the electorate.

The Republicans making hay out of this comment is deplorable. The president was asked if the question asked if his response was optimal. He replied that it's never "optimal" when Americans are killed. All he was doing was using the phrasing that Stewart used. To suggest that this phrases indicates a flippant or careless attitude towards those who lost their lives indicates an utter disregard for context and tone and is frankly disgusting.

Like I said in the thread about Benghazi - what about GWB's reaction to the Iraqi War fiasco? At least Obama is taking responsibility (I know, Hilary is taking it the most, but Obama is too). I think he could've done it sooner, but its better than never!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom