GOP Nominee 2012 - Pt. 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone could explain how either party has ever really mounted an attempt at voter suppression, I'd love to hear it.

The article in the post directly above yours is pretty clear about the matter. If it's not suppression, it's at the very least discouragement of specific voting demographics.

Caleb8844 said:
If someone could explain how either party has ever really mounted an attempt at voter suppression, I'd love to hear it.

Seriously? It might not be on a coordinated national level (but then again, it may be), but at the state level the republican party has been very active in trying to suppress the vote. I'm on my phone so I don't have time to look up all the links, but search for Ohio early voting changes (or attempts to), Pennsylvania's voter ID laws (that one prominent state Republican actually said would deliver the state to Romney), Florida, South Carolina, Texas, etc. And these aren't just random scared tactics like mailers saying you can't vote if... - these are actual attempts by Republicans to pass voting laws that would primarily affect sections of the population that historically vote Democrat.

The article right above your post already mentions some of the initiatives currently taken by Republican parties in several states to suppress groups from voting. That article might be a bit strident, but the facts are correct.

For all the latest on what's going on with regard to election laws (not just voter supression, but all kinds of activities) in the USA, there's this excellent blog. Election Law Blog | Rick Hasen's blog
The blogger is a professor in election law, so he's quite knowledgeable.

This is an interesting article also mentioned somewhere on that Election Law Blog:
The Ballot Cops - Mariah Blake - The Atlantic
It talks about efforts by Republican Parties (and organizations affiliated with Republican Parties) to 'observe' voting in specific areas, but that many of those efforts also result in intimidation.

This op-ed contains a good suggestion from someone who has experienced some of the irregularities from up close. It's time for a nonpartisan elections official - Houston Chronicle
I think that something like that is needed in the USA, as you apparently can't trust someone actively affiliated with a party. Or at least, to take away the suggestion that someone's decisions might be motivated by a specific party.

Romney said the uninsured can just go to an emergency room. Seriously. He said that.

“Well, we do provide care for people who don’t have insurance,” Romney told interviewer Scott Pelley. “If someone has a heart attack, they don’t sit in their apartment and — and die. We pick them up in an ambulance, and take them to the hospital, and give them care. And different states have different ways of providing for that care.”

There are so many things wrong with that I don't even know where to start. First, he realizes it costs more to treat people when they are emergent than to get people preventative care right? I mean, really.

Of course, after they are released from the emergency room, there is follow up care necessary which if you are uninsured, you won't be able to afford.

Romney: Uninsured have emergency rooms

Think how much more fun flying would be if you can feel the wind flowing through your hair:

“I appreciate the fact that she is on the ground, safe and sound. And I don’t think she knows just how worried some of us were,” Romney said. “When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly, there’s no — and you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem. So it’s very dangerous. And she was choking and rubbing her eyes. Fortunately, there was enough oxygen for the pilot and copilot to make a safe landing in Denver. But she’s safe and sound.”

Romney said the uninsured can just go to an emergency room. Seriously. He said that.

There are so many things wrong with that I don't even know where to start. First, he realizes it costs more to treat people when they are emergent than to get people preventative care right? I mean, really.

Of course, after they are released from the emergency room, there is follow up care necessary which if you are uninsured, you won't be able to afford.

Romney: Uninsured have emergency rooms

So he is now in support of universal health care... just done in its stupidest, least effective, and most expensive form?

Also, that HuffPost map is glorious, but... very optimistic.

thanks for posting that link cobl04, that is funny

and good for you corianderstem, deciding to use her picture for your avatar :up:

tumblr_mam51e6R7X1rroj07o1_500.jpg

It’s not so much that today’s Republican politicians reject traditional, one-nation conservatism. They don’t even know it exists. There are few people on the conservative side who’d be willing to raise taxes on the affluent to fund mobility programs for the working class. There are very few willing to use government to actively intervene in chaotic neighborhoods, even when 40 percent of American kids are born out of wedlock. There are very few Republicans who protest against a House Republican budget proposal that cuts domestic discretionary spending to absurdly low levels.

Some people blame bad campaign managers for Romney’s underperforming campaign, but the problem is deeper. Conservatism has lost the balance between economic and traditional conservatism. The Republican Party has abandoned half of its intellectual ammunition. It appeals to people as potential business owners, but not as parents, neighbors and citizens.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/opinion/brooks-the-conservative-mind.html?_r=0

If he's all the GOP can come up with in the future, then yes, Romney won't fade away any time soon.

If Romney is even mentioned as a relevant part of Republican politics in 2016, the party may as well just dissolve itself. They are in desperate of a new type of candidate - someone about whom people can actually get excited.

"President Obama has grabbed a significant lead over Mitt Romney in Ohio and holds a slender edge in Florida, according to two new polls by the Washington Post that indicate there are fresh hurdles in the way of the Republican nominee’s best route to victory in the Electoral College.

Among likely voters, Obama is ahead of Romney in Ohio by 52 to 44 percent. In Florida, the president is up 51 to 47 percent, a numerical but not statistically significant edge. Among all registered Florida voters, Obama is up nine percentage points. "

Grim for Mitt.

Ohio all by itself costs him the election.
Mitt's going to have to score a TKO in the first debate or this thing is over.
He's got to win FL, OH, NC, VA, and at least one more that McCain didn't win.
Grim indeed.

Madonna brought her MDNA Tour to Washington, D.C. on Monday night, and added a dose of politics to the show.

"Y'all better vote for fucking Obama, OK? For better or for worse, all right? We have a black Muslim in the White House. Now that's some amazing shit," she said. "It means there is hope in this country. And Obama is fighting for gay rights, so support the man, goddamnit."

deep said:

I was there. Dont remember the "Muslim" part but pretty sure she was being sarcastic.

It was the weakest part of what was a fairly visually amazing show. She's got a potty mouth, too, and was trying to be all gangster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom