GOP Nominee 2012 - Pt. 5 - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #196
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,966
Local Time: 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Wow, digitize is 19? Even I thought he was about 30 years old!
According to Google... sigh...

__________________

__________________
digitize is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #197
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,966
Local Time: 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Didn't go so well? How many of you bothered to listen to the whole 21 minutes?

1) What's Mr Higgins' problem with Sarah Palin? His problem should be with Tina Fey because she's the one that actually talked about seeing Russia.

2) What's his problem with the Tea Party? I like this line, "You don't find anything wrong at all this Tea Party ignorance that has been run around the United States and which is regularly insulting people which have been democratically elected." No mention from Mr Higgins about democratically elected officials insulting the Tea Party. "Astroturf," "dangerous" and "racist" just to name a few.

3) I do like his line about "wankers whipping up fear" however. I'll try and remember it as we're told Republican's want to return to the days of back-alley abortions, want dirtier air and dirtier water, and of course want to put blacks "back in chains"
1) Either Palin or her supporters (I can't remember) did talk about Russia in some absurd sense, though not in the ridiculous way ("I can see Russia from my house!") that Tina Fey did.

2) Somewhat on topic: I think the first actual useful argument made by a Tea Party Movement person has been Paul Ryan's argument of increasing economic opportunity being good for all. I disagree with him that loosening regulation is the best way to achieve economic growth in the long-term. I think it would create growth now, but not to the extent that increased demand (from demand-side stimulus) would, and it would have the negative consequence of making 2008s. But Europeans rarely talk about this argument, and I think it's one of the least recognized and most potentially legitimate conservative arguments. Really, American progressives tend to ignore it as well, and I think the country would benefit from substantive debate on it.

3) Joe Biden can be an idiot sometimes.

I mainly just love Higgins's Irishness.
__________________

__________________
digitize is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #198
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,894
Local Time: 01:51 PM
What? Palin DID say that you can see Russia from the end of Alaska when trying to defend her foreign policy credentials. She just didn't say you could see Russia "from her house" as Fey joked.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #199
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
According to Google... sigh...

Quote:
Your demographics
Below you can review the inferred demographics that Google has associated with your cookie. We infer your age and gender based on the websites you've visited.
Age: 35-44
Gender: Male
Language: English
Language: French
Nous sommes semblables
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #200
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Interesting points. This footage seems to be all over the US politicoblogosphere at the mo' - not sure why as it's from over two years ago.
You'd think that they're talking about the pending 2nd Gaza Flotella or that Mr. Higgins is never once addressed as "Mr. President" might be a tipoff. A bar too high I guess.
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #201
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,731
Local Time: 10:51 AM
The Russia joke, if I recall correctly, was based on Palin's comment about how Alaska's proximity to Russia meant she had experience with foreign policy.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #202
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,894
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
The Russia joke, if I recall correctly, was based on Palin's comment about how Alaska's proximity to Russia meant she had experience with foreign policy.
Right. And she explained that you can "actually see Russia" from a certain part of Alaska that's very close to Russia and that Russian planes often fly over Alaska.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #203
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,501
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Yes. This happens when Putin rears his head.

All of 'em, Katie.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #204
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 12:51 PM
I have a small bit of Irish in my ancestry. But that's about it. My family ancestry is mostly German.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
The Russia joke, if I recall correctly, was based on Palin's comment about how Alaska's proximity to Russia meant she had experience with foreign policy.
Exactly. Plus, the fact that she's blatantly ignorant in general doesn't help her.

As for the charges towards the Tea Party, well, they were parading around with signs equating Obama with Hitler, there was the infamous "Obama as a voodoo witch doctor" sign, some of them brought into the "He's not born here, he's a secret Muslim who's going to destroy America" mindset...I dunno about you, but all of that sounds pretty racist and bigoted to me.

When it comes to financial issues, I could actually perhaps agree with the Tea Party. Try and lower our debt? Quit passing the economic woes onto the next generation? Get rid of waste in all our various programs? Yeah, I'm on board with all of that. Let's do it.

The problem is they often then turn around and tend to support the GOP economic plans. which as of now only favor giving more tax cuts to the rich and the age-ol' trickle down theory, and those ideas aren't going to help solve the problem one bit. And then when you throw in some of the social ignorance surrounding them like what I noted above with the offensive signs and the birther crap and everything, as well as throwing around the words "socialist", "communist", and "fascist" as if that explains everything about their position and their feelings on Obama, that's when I go, "Okay, get back to me when you come up with logical complaints again."
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #205
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,501
Local Time: 01:51 PM
People in Scandinavia seemed to recognize me as one of them (I'm 50% but that 50% is almost 100% pure), and seemed delighted enough that a distant cousin was there for a visit. The other part of me is a mix, but mostly Irish, though I've not been. The result is that I look German and have had to insist to Germans that, no, I actually speak no more than 8 German words, really.

Anyway, while there are aspects of the EU I adore and would happily live there, I'm very happy with my citizenship.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #206
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 12:51 PM
Same here. I definitely do want to travel Europe someday, though. I don't care if it rains a lot in Ireland, that country looks beautiful and it's on my list of countries to hopefully visit in my lifetime.
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #207
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 10:51 AM
there is an island about 25 miles from my home, we can easily see it from our patios, Russia and Alaska are about that close.

__________________
deep is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 AM   #208
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 12:51 PM
Does your proximity to that island make you an expert on state matters?
__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #209
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,999
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
It wasn't a test, but I asked you two incredibly simple questions, and you didn't know the answers. You're an American of partially Irish descent.

If you want to call yourself Irish, fine, it's no biggie, but if you're Irish, then I must be an American as I've visited the US three times and I have some relatives living there. If I wanted to call myself American I would have to live there legally for quite a few years, and then eventually apply for citizenship and in the process have to pass a citizenship test which would ask me probably more difficult questions about US affairs than I've asked you about Irish affairs.

Nothing to do with the topic and ridiculous at this point, so I apologize to everyone else and this is the last I'll say about it.

No biggie but you had to make it so for some reason? In a random chat that had nothing to do with you? I'm Irish American. I'm American-still proud to be so in spite of our never ending flaws and failings. If I have to put labels on myself. I'm not applying for freaking Irish citizenship in FYM or anywhere else. It means so much to me because it means the world to my mother. She couldn't answer your two questions either so I'll tell her she isn't Irish. Would be like a dagger in her heart, because it means that much to her. I don't know how much longer I'll have her around, so it means the world to me because of that. Like the nice guy from Belfast said, no need to be a killjoy.

You can call yourself American, perfectly fine with me. No test from me. I'm an inclusive type of person.

I also operate on a feeling, emotional, heart and soul based level where not everything is a test and there are so many things that can't be intellectually quantified. For me that's necessary and a much more pleasant way to live, in spite of the misery and heartbreak it can lead to at times.

I'm stupid because I read trashy magazines, not Irish because I can't answer your questions-same level of meaninglessness for me frankly.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #210
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Don't worry, MrsS, I don't even know who is the president of the country where I was born (and left as a child) so based on the above I would also not pass the test (despite holding that country's citizenship and rights that come along with it, speaking the language fluently and traveling there with relative regularity).
__________________

__________________
anitram is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com