'Gone Old Party'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wasn't that the whole point of the trickle down effect/economics? How did that work out for everyone?

ABC News

A new video featuring Delaware Republican Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell from a television appearance in the 1990s has been released, and while not as eccentric as last week's infamous 'Witchcraft' video, it still presents the GOP's rising star in an unflattering light.

On Friday night Bill Maher aired on his HBO show, "Real Time," a clip from his previous show, "Politically Incorrect," of O'Donnell saying to a groaning audience, "Evolution is a myth...why aren't monkeys still evolving into humans?"

O'Donnell appeared on the political talk show on 22 different episodes, and Maher has said he will air a clip of O'Donnell every week until she agrees to appear on his show.

"It's like a hostage crisis," Maher said last week. "Every week you don't show up, I'm going to throw another body out."

This country is doomed if she and/or Palin ever win anything.

Told you she was ignorant, uneducated and dangerous.

Tea Party-backed U.S. Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell said in an interview published online this week that God is guiding the trajectory for her campaign.

"God continued to strengthen and empower us when, you know, his strength is perfected in our weakness," explained the Senate hopeful to Jennifer Wishon at the Christian Broadcasting Network. "Because you see that if it weren't for faith, when all logic said it's time to quit, we pursued, we marched on, because we knew God was not releasing us to quit."

O'Donnell, who is facing off against Democrat Chris Coons in Delaware's general election, called the spiritual phenomenon "exciting."

The remarks bare resemblance to comments made by Nevada GOP Senate candidate Sharron Angle earlier this year. During an interview that took place in July she said, "I believe that God has been in this from the beginning and because of that when he has a plan and a purpose for your life and you fit into that, what he calls you to he always equipped you for."

Angle told CBN over the summer that her crusade to unseat Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is "her calling." The suggestion sparked backlash from within the religious community.

At the time, President of the Interfaith Alliance, Rev. Dr. C. Welton Gaddy, issued a statement contending:

Candidates for public office are free to talk about how their faith informs their thinking, but should not imply that policy positions will be based on scripture rather than the Constitution. It has been my experience that when candidates intentionally insert faith into politics, the purpose is rarely to protect religion; rather it is done to enhance a political position.

"Because you see that if it weren't for faith, when all logic said it's time to quit, we pursued, we marched on, because we knew God was not releasing us to quit."

That's no surprise she's ignoring what logic says about this, 'cause I think logic, to quote from 'Tommy Boy', "waved bye-bye to her long ago".

Now, of course, if a Muslim ever ran for office and stated that they ran based on some divine inspiration from their leader, oh, no, couldn't have that, all hell would break loose. Yet somehow Christians can say the same thing and that's perfectly fine. Strange.

I wonder what God, if they exist, must think about statements like hers. If God does indeed support people like her, though, more reason for me to go hang with the atheists.

Of course, statements like this give me hope:

At the time, President of the Interfaith Alliance, Rev. Dr. C. Welton Gaddy, issued a statement contending:

Candidates for public office are free to talk about how their faith informs their thinking, but should not imply that policy positions will be based on scripture rather than the Constitution. It has been my experience that when candidates intentionally insert faith into politics, the purpose is rarely to protect religion; rather it is done to enhance a political position.

Oh, if only we could inject that sort of sanity and realism into the O'Donnells and Angles of the world.

Angela

Both O'Donnell and Angle need to read that book by Jim Wallis: God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It. Its a bit out of date (it was written for the 2004 election), but it does explain that God wouldn't side with a politician based on one or two issues.

And I have a question for O'Donnell and Angle: if they lose, would they see it as God's plan? Are they sure they are following God or are they following their egos? OK, that was more than one question, but I really can't stand it when a politician says "God is on my side, not yours!"

Both O'Donnell and Angle need to read that book by Jim Wallis: God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It. Its a bit out of date (it was written for the 2004 election), but it does explain that God wouldn't side with a politician based on one or two issues.

I've heard a bit about that book. It sounds interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

And I have a question for O'Donnell and Angle: if they lose, would they see it as God's plan?

I was actually considering that same question! Yeah, would love to hear their answers to that one. I assume it'd be the typical, "Oh, well, he works in mysterious ways/believes we're meant for something else" (which would make me wonder why he wasted his time, then) sort of blather, but still, it would be fun to watch them try and explain their way out of that.

Angela

Libertarians are seeking less government, less taxes, more freedom.

If Sarah Palin is speaking this....then more power to her.

Please provide some quotes where Palin and your pal O'Donnell are seeking all this. Don't worry; we'll wait.

Why do you think these ideas are wrong?

Please quote ME where I've said these ideas are wrong.

My disdain is for people who will support O'Donnell and her type. She's not libertarian; she's fucking crazy.

But why is it coming from people who do not understand the constitution, railing against the government on uninformed issues, or cheering for less taxes as they cheer for more war?

Are there libertarians that are not hypocrites?

Are there libertarians that ARE informed?

Where are they?

How does more government always equate to less freedom?

Laws and the enforcement of them help to uphold our social contract. I firmly believe in the maxim: "You have the right to do whatever until it infringes on the right of someone else to do whatever." That takes government.

Most people who I have heard claim that they are Libertarians are mostly whiners who want things their way. That's not "more freedom." That's selfishness.

And taxes?

Thankfully, I don't equate my freedom with money. Money provides opportunities, obviously. But, I gladly pay my taxes to a responsible government (less so these days, but I believe that's fixable). I understand that good government provides the equality for more of society to have an equal shot at happiness.

Money doesn't equate to happiness or true freedom. Equal opportunity and justice leads to happiness and success.

We have long, proud history in Minnesota of great education, a great business community and social acceptance, tolerance and justice. This all despite our high taxes and strong government. I'm very happy with it.

:twocents:

At least 78 GOP candidates would force women to bear rapists’ babies | Raw Story

A partial list of Republican candidates running for US Congress in this year's mid-term elections shows that at least 78 of them have professed to oppose abortion in all cases, including where rape or incest are involved.

The Republican National Coalition For Life, a political action committee formed by anti-feminist activist Phyllis Schlafly, sends out questionnaires every election season to Republican candidates asking them to lay out their positions on abortion.

A list of responses from this year's candidates indicate that 78 Senate and House candidates answered that they are "pro-life without discrimination," meaning they don't agree with any exceptions to a ban on abortion.

The list was flagged earlier this week by Charles Johnson at the Little Green Footballs blog. Johnson counted 112 candidates who hold that view of abortion, but a Raw Story count of the listed candidates found 78 who have won their primary and indicated they would make no exceptions to allow abortion.

As the list doesn't include all US states or all candidates running for the House or Senate, the total number of candidates backing a full abortion ban is likely higher. The list also does not cover gubernatorial candidates or politicians running for state or local government.

Among the more notable candidates backing a full abortion ban are Christine O'Donnell, running for the Senate in Delaware; Rand Paul, running for the Senate seat from Kentucky; Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann; and Missouri Senate candidate Roy Blunt.

But the list does not include a number of candidates known to hold that view, including Sharron Angle, who is running for Sen. Harry Reid's seat from Nevada, and Joe Miller, running for Senate from Alaska.

The influence of the tea party movement on this year's elections may have something to do with an apparent increase in the number of Republicans taking a hard-line stance on abortion, reported Amanda Terkel at the Huffington Post.

Dianne Edmondson, executive director of RNC for Life PAC, told Terkel that "we have many more candidates responding to us this year than we did in the last election cycle -- probably about three times as many -- and I'd say at least half of them do meet that criteria."

"The Republican Party is, without actually talking about it, this year nominating a group of candidates for top-of-the-ticket races that are more extreme on the issue of abortion than any other slate of top-of-the-ticket candidates in any other year," MSNBC's Rachel Maddow reported in August.

Maddow criticized the "small-government conservatives" who supported a full abortion ban, suggesting they're hypocritical for believing "government should be big enough that it can monitor every pregnancy in the country to ensure that every single woman who becomes pregnant is forced by the government to carry that pregnancy to term."

How does more government always equate to less freedom?
exactly. to me the two aren't mutually exclusive. i could come up with a million reasons why, but yeah.

Maddow criticized the "small-government conservatives" who supported a full abortion ban, suggesting they're hypocritical for believing "government should be big enough that it can monitor every pregnancy in the country to ensure that every single woman who becomes pregnant is forced by the government to carry that pregnancy to term."
haha, exactly. though honestly for some (read: not all) conservatives, the small government thing really boils down to small government when they like. they like small government to mean no taxes and laws favouring big business and umm...yeah. but don't take away their medicare, social security, and we better tell people what they can do in their bedrooms because then someone might do it up the butt, and of course forcing 15 year old girls raped by their father to carry their child to term. because lord knows orphanages around the country are practically empty, waiting for more unwanted children.

haha, exactly. though honestly for some (read: not all) conservatives, the small government thing really boils down to small government when they like. they like small government to mean no taxes and laws favouring big business and umm...yeah. but don't take away their medicare, social security, and we better tell people what they can do in their bedrooms because then someone might do it up the butt, and of course forcing 15 year old girls raped by their father to carry their child to term. because lord knows orphanages around the country are practically empty, waiting for more unwanted children.

Oh, of course. And what really kills me is that they're so hellbent on banning abortion and restricting sex ed, and...that's about the extent of their solution to that issue. They offer up nothing else beyond that. They just think by doing those two things, poof, all of our problems are over! I mean, I know I'm pretty damn idealistic and admittedly naive at times, but I got nothing on these people, it seems. And it's because of stuff like that, combined with nearly every single other thing the modern Republican Party stands for nowadays, why that party is getting absolutely none of my support, none of my votes anytime soon.

Also, kramwest1, fantastic post :up:.

Angela

Oh, of course. And what really kills me is that they're so hellbent on banning abortion and restricting sex ed, and...that's about the extent of their solution to that issue. They offer up nothing else beyond that. They just think by doing those two things, poof, all of our problems are over! I mean, I know I'm pretty damn idealistic and admittedly naive at times, but I got nothing on these people, it seems. And it's because of stuff like that, combined with nearly every single other thing the modern Republican Party stands for nowadays, why that party is getting absolutely none of my support, none of my votes anytime soon.

Also, kramwest1, fantastic post :up:.
exactly. i know bush pushed for abstinence-only sex ed, which to me is just silly. i mean, i can't even fathom how something like that gets taught. do they still teach how all the parts work but say you can't use them? it'd be interesting to know if teen pregnancy has increased in the past ten years.

and yes, nice post mark. :up:

I commend them for this view.

If you believe that life begins at conception and abortion is sin, and that is a child who is innocent and has done no wrong, then it is not that child's fault that it came into this world through violence. I never understood the carve-out for cases of rape - after all, this argument is always framed in terms of the child and not the mother, so who cares about her emotional status. As they say, she can give the baby up for adoption.

:up:

I commend them for this view.

If you believe that life begins at conception and abortion is sin, and that is a child who is innocent and has done no wrong, then it is not that child's fault that it came into this world through violence. I never understood the carve-out for cases of rape - after all, this argument is always framed in terms of the child and not the mother, so who cares about her emotional status. As they say, she can give the baby up for adoption.

:up:

Great. Let's make sure we get all sins covered by our judicial code.

I hope Republicans take up the deserving legal matter of having sex with a woman during her menstrual period.

:shrug:

Great. Let's make sure we get all sins covered by our judicial code.

I hope Republicans take up the deserving legal matter of having sex with a woman during her menstrual period.

:shrug:

Hey, it's not my position that abortion should be criminalized.

I am just saying that for those who are staunchly pro-life, it is a more intellectually honest view that abortion is wrong in all cases than to create a carve-out for rape. It's either murder or it ain't.

I am just saying that for those who are staunchly pro-life, it is a more intellectually honest view that abortion is wrong in all cases than to create a carve-out for rape. It's either murder or it ain't.

Fair enough. I should have read that into your post.

It does scare the shit out of me when any politician says that bible is the word of God and should be the law. --Bring on Leviticus! I'm not a shellfish fan anyway. (Not that abortion or conception are in the bible)

Consistent views from politicians? Republicans? :lol:

I respect the several Catholics I know that are consistent on death issues--no abortion, no death penalty, only retaliatory war.
I don't agree, but I respect their consistency, like you said.

"(When I said those things,) no one came to my defense," he said, according to the Spartanburg Herald-Journal. "But everyone would come to me and whisper that I shouldn't back down. They don't want government purging their rights and their freedom to religion.

:confused: And allowing unwed mothers and gays to teach at school would threaten this...how?

Regardless of what he "meant" by that comment, nobody's coming to his defense because there's nothing defensible about such a remark. In any context, it's still incredibly stupid and nonsensical.

Angela

DeMint takes heat for gays, unwed moms comment – CNN

DeMint is the Tea Party king (and in some cases queen) maker.

:confused: And allowing unwed mothers and gays to teach at school would threaten this...how?

Regardless of what he "meant" by that comment, nobody's coming to his defense because there's nothing defensible about such a remark. In any context, it's still incredibly stupid and nonsensical.

Angela

And yet he'll be reelected over and over again because we don't have term limits, and those of us in states with high voter turn-out and elected official turnover are subjected to the morons from states with low voter turn-out and a relatively uneducated electorate.

I know a lot of people argue that term limits don't matter because if the voters wanted, they can vote them out. But, it does matter because of seniority and committee chairpersonships. Again, all of America is subjected to these idiots that are voted in by a few, and then they hold on to their power. The longer you have been in office, the more likely you are to remain in office.

The senate is a low-turnover, exclusive club where small population states overrule larger population states. And, the house is where America is underrepresented. The constitution originally stated that there should be one rep per 30,000 people. But, here we are with a modern population that grows and moves between censuses and a cap on the house membership at 435. The result is some cases where a house rep has a population of up to 750,000 under them.

:banghead:

I understand what you're saying. I'm pro-life and the rape issue troubles me because its such a moral dilemna. Either the child dies, or the the mother has to suffer physical pain of 9 months of pregnancy + delivery, and the obvious emotional pain which comes from not having chosen to be in the situation, which is probably worse than the physical pain. Its not the baby's fault, so why should it suffer, but its not the mother's fault either.

We can obviously say that aborting the baby is the greater of the two evils, and therefore the mother should be forced to remain pregnant and go through with the delivery, but that really isn't fair. Being forced to carry a rapist's baby, make lifestyle changes, going through with the delivery, and the psychological damage that occurs in the process may not be bad as death, or may even be worse, depending on the case.

Given all of this, I am not pro-life when it comes to rape. My reason for this is that the baby is not the responsibility of the mother, because I don't consider it the mother's baby at all (even though its genes are 50% of the mother's), so the woman shouldn't be held responsible for the child. Yes, unfortunately, we would be aborting an innocent life, but I see no way out. It really is a lose-lose.

By BRIAN BAKST, Associated Press Writer

MINNEAPOLIS – Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is advising Republican candidates on November's ballots to frame the choice for voters between Democrats as "the party of food stamps" while selling the GOP as "the party of paychecks."

With a month to go before the election, Gingrich brought his branding effort to Minnesota on Wednesday. He raised money for Republican gubernatorial nominee Tom Emmer and the state GOP during a private fundraiser.

He told reporters later that Republicans can campaign as the party of opportunity.

"Most Americans would like to get a paycheck," Gingrich said. "Most Americans would not like to be forced to have food stamps handed out by liberal Democrats."

Gingrich is considering a run for president in 2012 and is about to head off on a 12-city "Jobs Here, Jobs Now" tour with stops in South Carolina, Georgia, Iowa and Wisconsin, among other places.

Gingrich this week distributed a memo to Republican hopefuls saying they should use the final month to stress tax and spending cuts as a way to spur job growth while attacking Democratic policies as detrimental that effort.

He blamed policies by a Democratic Congress and President Barack Obama's administration for pushing the number of people receiving food stamps to historic highs. U.S. Department of Agriculture Data show 41.8 million people were on government nutrition assistance programs in July, up from about 32 million when Obama took office.

"It's perfectly fair to say they are earning the title of the party of food stamps," he said. "By contrast, we have historically since Ronald Reagan of 1980 been the party of job creation."

Hari Sevugan, press secretary for the Democratic National Committee, said Democrats are pulling the country "out of the deep ditch" the current administration inherited from a Republican White House.

"Under Republican economic policies, nearly 800,000 Americans lost their job every month," Sevugan said. "Under Democratic economic policies, we are adding jobs every month. That's the choice."

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is advising Republican candidates on November's ballots to frame the choice for voters between Democrats as "the party of food stamps" while selling the GOP as "the party of paychecks."

He told reporters later that Republicans can campaign as the party of opportunity.

"Most Americans would like to get a paycheck," Gingrich said. "Most Americans would not like to be forced to have food stamps handed out by liberal Democrats."

Uh...wow. Really? This is the argument you're going to go with?

"By contrast, we have historically since Ronald Reagan of 1980 been the party of job creation."

Boy, between this and his statement that the GOP is the "party of opportunity" I'm thinking he should go into the comedy business. That's some funny stuff.

Idiot. I'm so thrilled to hear he'll be working his way through my state. Yippie skippy :rolleyes:.

And yet he'll be reelected over and over again because we don't have term limits, and those of us in states with high voter turn-out and elected official turnover are subjected to the morons from states with low voter turn-out and a relatively uneducated electorate.

I know a lot of people argue that term limits don't matter because if the voters wanted, they can vote them out. But, it does matter because of seniority and committee chairpersonships. Again, all of America is subjected to these idiots that are voted in by a few, and then they hold on to their power. The longer you have been in office, the more likely you are to remain in office.

A. Men. Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's what I was kinda getting at before in the one discussion where I talked about how young people can't relate because of all the "older" generations. I really should've just said that no matter the age of the person in Congress (though I still say that is a factor in who votes most often and how), we definitely have way too many people who've been there FAR longer than they really need to be.

And when you don't really have any awe-inspiring alternatives to the DeMints of the world, naturally the DeMints will keep winning. I mean, I'd definitely vote for the other candidate or write in my own instead of vote for DeMint if I lived in that state, but most people won't. And that's depressing.

Yes. I'm definitely interested in the concept of enforcing term limits for Congress. We do it for the president, after all.

(And for those out there in the Tea Party and whatnot who keep quoting the statement about us "needing a revolution every 20 years", I suspect this is the kind of revolution that was being suggested. Not a violent one)

The senate is a low-turnover, exclusive club where small population states overrule larger population states. And, the house is where America is underrepresented. The constitution originally stated that there should be one rep per 30,000 people. But, here we are with a modern population that grows and moves between censuses and a cap on the house membership at 435. The result is some cases where a house rep has a population of up to 750,000 under them.

:banghead:

Mmhm. When this system was set up, nobody forsaw the country growing to the size it has. It may have made sense then, but maybe it's time for some changes to the setup now.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom