'Gone Old Party'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could very well see it being the latter, because some of those positions are just so out there that you'd almost have to think it's a farce (and if it is, okay, haha, cute, joke's over now, time to get back to being serious. You're not a comedian, you're running to take a place in government).

On the other hand, though, there are people out there who genuinely do think like she does. And if she truly thinks this way, she gives Sarah Palin a run for her money-good lord, some of those viewpoints :crack: :coocoo:. If she's THAT paranoid and strict and uptight, one wonders why she even bothers to leave her house. Sounds like, according to her, society's just one big cesspool of horrors waiting to be unleashed, waiting to corrupt her oh-so-pure soul (and now you just know there's gotta be some "sin" in her past).

My favorite bit in that link was her comment that homosexuals are allowed to get away with nudity more often. WTF? Yeah, 'cause I'm seeing so much of it all over the place :huh:.

Angela

I don't understand how any sentient being could vote for someone like Christine O'Donnell. I mean, this, for example:

O`DONNELL: The Bible says that lust in your heart is committing adultery. So, you can`t masturbate without lust.

The reason that you don`t tell them that masturbation is the answer to AIDS and all these other problems that come with sex outside of marriage is because, again, it is not addressing the issue. You`re going to be pleasing each other. And if he already knows what pleases him and he can please himself, then why am in the picture?"

You have a 41-year-old woman who swore to celibacy at some point in college and who doesn't masturbate instructing the rest of us on sex. I mean really it's akin to Catholic priests who give those marriage classes about natural birth control to couples about to get married in the Church. Absurd.

She comes across as someone who is really trying a bit too hard to make her life seem interesting. My first date was on a Satanic altar too after a movie but I don't feel the need to go around bragging about it. She was Twilight before Twilight was cool.

(CNN) – Newly-minted Delaware Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell – who already has had to contend with a string of controversial statements she has made in the past – once said she “dabbled into witchcraft.”

The latest eyebrow-raising comment was revealed Friday by liberal comedian and talk show host Bill Maher, who, as host of the now-canceled show “Politically Incorrect,” had O’Donnell on his program several times as a guest.

“I dabbled into witchcraft - I never joined a coven. But I did, I did. ... I dabbled into witchcraft,” O’Donnell said during a 1999 appearance on the show, which ran from 1994-2002 on ABC. “I hung around people who were doing these things. I'm not making this stuff up. I know what they told me they do.”

She then described one of her first dates – with a witch “on a satanic altar.”

“I didn't know it,” she said. “I mean, there's little blood there and stuff like that. We went to a movie and then had a midnight picnic on a satanic altar.”

Maher showed the clip Friday on his HBO show, “Real Time with Bill Maher,” and pledged to unveil additional clips every week if O’Donnell does not appear on his current show.

A spokesman for the O’Donnell campaign did not respond to CNN’s request for comment.

I have long formed the view that (although he can correct me if I'm wrong) Iron Horse's libertarianism is really just knee-jerk old-timey conservatism/populism. If it seems vaguely rightwing in a way that grandpa walton might be down with, then it gets a tick.

I have long formed the view that (although he can correct me if I'm wrong) Iron Horse's libertarianism is really just knee-jerk old-timey conservatism/populism. If it seems vaguely rightwing in a way that grandpa walton might be down with, then it gets a tick.

Thank you so much for your summary of my poliical view on life.

I'm just getting in from feeding the pigs and checking on the chickens.

Take care all :)

See, that is precisely what the "left" is missing about all his nonsense...the fact that Karl Rove called her a "nut" will help get her and her ilk elected.

You said the same thing about Palin in 08, for our sake I hope your finger on the pulse stays correct. :lol:

Please tell us, what is the "left" missing here?

You seem to still be missing it.

Palin easily added 5+% to the McCain voters in 2008.
A McCain/ Romney ticket would have been a much bigger win for Obama.

Palin has had a great year. She has more power now than any of her detractors in 2008 ever expected her to have. They predicted she would fade away and be irrelevant. Who has had a bigger impact in the 2010 primaries?

When the GOP pick up seats in the Senate and House there will be several Palin GOPers there in place of the more pragmatic GOP centrists.

Very few predicted Palin would be irrelevant, just unelectable.

Harry kept telling us that "we" were the reason Palin was going to be elected. He got it wrong.

Now IN CONTEXT can you tell me what I am missing?

Very few predicted Palin would be irrelevant, just unelectable.

Harry kept telling us that "we" were the reason Palin was going to be elected. He got it wrong.

Now IN CONTEXT can you tell me what I am missing?

See, that is precisely what the "left" is missing about all his nonsense...the fact that Karl Rove called her a "nut" will help get her and her ilk elected.

Harry did say get her ilk elected.

But how will Karl Rove saying she's a nut help her?

And what does the left not get with this?

This is the part that I'm perplexed about. Karl Rove is still respected by the far right(at least he was until he said that) even though he is "establishment"(how funny is it that this word is now the new conservative catch phrase) so I'm not sure what Harry's post was trying to get at. Maybe Harry doesn't know who Karl Rove is? :shrug: I don't know, but it was an odd statement.

I guess he's trying to say that when even Karl Rove thinks you're out there, you must reallly be out there, and that there is a segment of the population that will then vote for her because she's so far out there. That's how I read it, and he's probably not wrong.

But how will Karl Rove saying she's a nut help her?

And what does the left not get with this?

I think a lot of us use our own 'gut feelings' as a gage for what we assume the average person believes or will do. That may even be correct most of the time.

You and I probably agree on many (most) issues and vote similarly.

But, I do agree with Harry and see Palin as an 'impact' player that has the ability to affect elections. I am skeptical that she can win a national election.

But, I don't completely write it off as impossible. I also think she may have more power and influence out of office.

Elections move on small margins, Palin and the Tea Party are moving these margins quite well.

Awhile back I was saying Crist would peak in FLA and Rubio would win. Recent polls suggest that will be the case.

With Rubio, Miller, Rand Paul, and a couple of more there will be 4-5 Tea Party Senators with perhaps 58 GOP Senators, They will wield a lot of power.
It will be easy for them to get to 60 by pressuring a couple of Blue Dog Democrats worried about 2012 elections.

As for Rove, the Tea Party types don't respect him or Bush at all. Top of their list is Government spending and they blame Bush and Rove for putting Obama in office because of their deficit spending.

As for Rove, the Tea Party types don't respect him or Bush at all. Top of their list is Government spending and they blame Bush and Rove for putting Obama in office because of their deficit spending.

I'm just going by the fact that the three major AM guys still often have him on their shows and never speak out against him.

I don't think O'Donnell will win in Delaware. It will be interesting to see how close the election will be. Anything less than 10 points would be surprising.

The Tea Party has thrown over-board several 'establishment GOP' candidates in the primaries this year. Rove has backed many of the losers.

Rove has been heckled and harassed on his book-signing tour. He has canceled some of his stops.

Rove is on TV because of his association with Bush.
Dick Morris has made a career out of his past association with Clinton.

Weird year in politics

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Electi...-Paladino-in-New-York-Andrew-Cuomo-gets-angry

On Wednesday, a Quinnipiac University poll on Wednesday, showed Paladino behind 49 to 43 percent among likely voters. Men now back Paladino 49 to 46 percent while women back Cuomo by 54 to 34 percent. Only 7 percent of the voters describe themselves as undecided although 21 percent of those who name a candidate say they might still change their minds. A Sept. 1 Quinnipiac poll – of registered voters, not likely voters – showed Cuomo leading Paladino by 60 to 23 percent

this GOP candidate is a real outsider, he trounced the insider Lazio.

Weird year in politics
Poll: Johnson, 52%, Feingold, 41% By Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel Sept. 21, 2010

A new poll out Tuesday by Public Policy Polling for the Daily Kos reports that Republican Ron Johnson has a double-digit advantage over U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold (D-Wis.), 52%-41%.
Writes Steve Singiser about the poll: "An enormous enthusiasm gap, coupled with a Republican nominee fresh from a decisive primary win and unsullied by the primary process, has catapulted Republican nominee Ron Johnson to a double-digit advantage over incumbent Democrat Russ Feingold."

WASHINGTON — Six weeks before midterm elections, House Republicans vowed to cut taxes and federal spending, repeal President Barack Obama's health care law and ban federal funding of abortion as part of a campaign manifesto designed to propel them to victory in November and a majority in the next Congress.

The "Pledge to America," circulated to GOP lawmakers Wednesday, emphasizes job creation and spending control, as well as changing the way Congress does business. It steered clear of controversial issues such as Social Security and Medicare, big drivers of deficit spending.

It pairs some familiar Republican ideas – such as deep spending cuts, medical liability reform and stricter border enforcement – with an anti-government call to action that draws on tea party themes and echoes voters' disgruntlement with the economy and Obama's leadership.

"Regarding the policies of the current government, the governed do not consent," reads a preamble to the agenda. "An arrogant and out-of-touch government of self-appointed elites makes decisions, issues mandates, and enacts laws without accepting or requesting the input of the many."

Republicans are favored to add substantially to their ranks, perhaps enough to seize control of the House. Details of their plan emerged as President Barack Obama tried to reintroduce voters to his health care overhaul law, a signature issue of his first two years that Americans don't much like or understand. Democrats, who pursued overhaul for decades, have been surprised by its unpopularity.

GOP leaders are set to go public with their plan Thursday at a hardware store in suburban Virginia, choosing a location outside the nation's capital that's in keeping with the plan's grassroots emphasis.

It calls for every bill to cite its specific constitutional authority, a vote on any government regulation that costs more than $100 million annually and a freeze on hiring federal workers except security personnel. It also has a "read the bill" provision mandating that legislation be publicly available for three days before a vote.

Officials have described the agenda as the culmination of an Internet- and social networking-powered project they launched earlier this year to give voters the chance to say what Congress should do. The "America Speaking Out" project collected 160,000 ideas and received 1 million votes and comments on the proposals, they said.

Much internal debate ensued among party leaders, rank-and-file lawmakers and GOP activists about the contents of the agenda, including whether it should include a reference to "family values" – which some strategists argued could alienate the independent voters Republicans are courting.

They agreed to include the abortion provision and a vaguely worded statement on social issues: "We pledge to honor families, traditional marriage, life, and the private and faith-based organizations that form the core of our American values."

The plan recalled Republicans' 1994 "Contract With America," a list of heavily poll-tested proposals they unveiled about six weeks before the GOP gained 54 House seats and seized control of the House for the first time in 40 years.

But the rollout reflects a national mood far different from the one 16 years ago, and an electorate that national surveys show is fed up with its representatives and disillusioned about government.

"The Contract was done at a time when it was acceptable for a relatively small number of elected officials and trusted aides to go behind closed doors, come up with some ideas, test them in polls and then announce them on the steps of the Capitol," said Michael Franc of the conservative Heritage Foundation, who was a House aide during those days.

"If you did that now, you'd see yourself being hung in effigy most places. ... (Republicans) can't afford to come across as another case of 'government knows best,'" Franc said.

Republican strategists advising House leaders have told them that presenting their own ideas for governing – laser-focused on jobs and recharging the economy – is crucial to their electoral chances.

"It is not enough for the Republican Party just simply to point out that President Obama and the Democrats have failed," said pollster David Winston. "What Americans are looking for is a plan that they have confidence in that will work."

Democrats dismissed the GOP plan as recycled ideas that would further exacerbate the nation's problems.

"Republicans want to return to the same failed economic policies that hurt millions of Americans and threatened our economy," said Nadeam Elshami, a spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

The plan proposes creating jobs through tax cuts, including permanently extending George W. Bush's reductions for people at every income level, now slated to expire in January, and a 20 percent deduction for small businesses. It also calls for repeal of an unpopular new provision enacted to help pay for the health care law that requires nearly 40 million businesses to file tax forms for every vendor that sells them more than $600 in goods.

It offers an array of proposals to limit spending, including cutting back to 2008 levels and placing a hard cap on future government expenditures.

Republicans are calling for replacing the health care law by letting people buy health care coverage outside their states, expanding state programs that cover high-risk patients who can't otherwise get insurance and expanding the use of tax-advantaged savings accounts to cover medical costs.

And the plan also focuses on security, including calling for denying terrorists so-called "Miranda rights," opposing the release of Guantanamo Bay detainees into the United States and full funding for missile defense programs.

I think this will win them some votes, and then lose them later when they can't fulfill :wink:

I think it's a good idea(the contract not the content), I think all politicians should draft or sign such a contract.

Either the Right has done a terrible job of helping me understand how terrible this health care reform law is or they have just completely hoodwinked a good chunk of the country into believing it's horrible but not really knowning why.

I'm all about reducing spending, but cutting taxes at the same time is bullshit if you're really serious about reducing the deficit.

I think this will win them some votes, and then lose them later when they can't fulfill :wink:

I think it's a good idea(the contract not the content), I think all politicians should draft or sign such a contract.

The Contract with America in 1994 really worked well. In getting votes at the polls.

It was also easier to understand, and seemed more broad to appeal across party lines. It was very effective. Even though the GOP completely reneged on two points that propelled it. Campaign Finance Reform and Term Limits.

That was when I realized that the GOP had no moral high ground about keeping their word.

This Pledge is not that impressive. But it will have some benefit, as it will cause some, independents to believe there is a plan that is capable of helping things to improve.

I will be very disappointed if the GOP is able to repeal the Health Care.
I think the few changes that kick in today may be enough to gain a little more support to prevent the GOP from any radical repeal when they are seated with larger numbers in 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY5bwvc1XK8&feature=player_embedded

It's nice to see Chris Wallace (pretty much the only journalist worth anything on Fox News... maybe Shepherd Smith too) asking direct questions. And revealing the Pledge to America to be nothing more than political pablum and a way to get votes for the mid-term elections. Choice quote from Boener: "Let's not get to the potential solutions." Let's propagandize the problems so we can fire up our base to vote for us, and then we'll start trying to figure out if we have any solutions later on down the road. Genius!

It is a little curious when the Republican's plan to get America 'back on track' doesn't actually mention any potential solutions to the problems it's railing against. :hmm:

Last edited:
And revealing the Pledge to America to be nothing more than political pablum and a way to get votes for the mid-term elections.

Isn't it also filled with massive fonts and all that sort of thing, too? And didn't they try that same tactic before during the healthcare battle with their "proposal"? I seem to recall comparisons to that along the lines of a high school project that needs to fill the page/word/line requirements, so they make everything as big and spaced out as possible 'cause they have no actual substance to fill it up with. It sounds like this "pledge" is no exception.

Wow, Boehner is a slick politician :doh:. Put him and Romney together and they could match the oil from the Gulf spill in terms of slickness. Good lord.

It is a little curious when the Republican's plan to get America 'back on track' doesn't actually mention any potential solutions to the problems it's railing against. :hmm:

Curious, but not at all surprising. They're just going to keep on with their same old scheme of fear tactics and red herring issues that have, pardon my language, fuck all to do with the actual problems at hand. Americans rightly rejected that attitude in 2008, I seriously hope they can reject it again this year, and every year until the Republican Party wises up and realizes they need to change their approach. I'm not holding my breath on that happening, because, for reasons I can't begin to fathom, people still keep falling for that crap (see the loonies that have won primaries thus far), but boy, it'd sure be nice if it did happen.

Angela

but cutting taxes at the same time is bullshit if you're really serious about reducing the deficit.

Some argue that a lower tax rate increases spending and investing which leads to more profits and income which increases total tax revenue (despite the lower tax rate).

Back
Top Bottom