'Gone Old Party' - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #106
has a

Local Time: 11:55 PM

Old 10-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
In a recording of the rally provided to The Associated Press by the Mesquite Local News, a man is heard asking Angle : "I keep hearing about Muslims wanting to take over the United States ... on a TV program just last night, I saw that they are taking over a city in Michigan and the residents of the city, they want them out. They want them out. So, I want to hear your thoughts about that."
Quote:
Dearborn, Mich., has a thriving Muslim community.
So having a thriving community automatically means that that town is now a "militant Islamic state" and the Muslims are "taking over" ?

Where the hell did that guy hear that nonsense? I've heard nothing of the sort happening in the U.S. anywhere.

Quote:
It was not immediately clear why Angle singled out Frankford, Texas, a former town that was annexed into Dallas around 1975.
It's not immediately clear why Angle's saying any of the things she's stated. She clearly doesn't know what the hell she's talking about.

Quote:
"They had a responsibility to be sensitive to what had happened there and it is exactly the same thing as 9/11. Ground zero, we have a responsibility to be sensitive to the loss of a nation, to the loss of families, to the loss of life that happened there."
The irony of a Republican politician talking about showing respect and sensitivity towards the events of 9/11 and its victims is truly stunning. Really. That takes a hell of a lot of nerve.

Yeah. Wow. That...that is just amazing, that story.

Angela

Old 10-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 PM

Why is This GOP House Candidate Dressed as a Nazi? - Joshua Green - Politics - The Atlantic
Old 10-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #109
Refugee

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Big fucking deal. Its part of a reenactment.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #110
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Big fucking deal. Its part of a reenactment.
You don't find it odd that someone wants to play an SS soldier on the weekend as "fun"?

I think many would find that odd.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #111
She's the One

I find all reenactors odd. Every single one of them.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

there are exceptions

still, I would not want them representing me or writing laws

Old 10-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
"It's purely historical interest in World War II."
I seem to recall a certain Jesse James saying something similar.

Quote:
Rich Iott and his wife, as shown on his campaign website.
Iott, a member of the Ohio Military Reserve, added, "I've always been fascinated by the fact that here was a relatively small country that from a strictly military point of view accomplished incredible things. I mean, they took over most of Europe and Russia, and it really took the combined effort of the free world to defeat them. From a purely historical military point of view, that's incredible."
Yeah. It is incredible. Incredible in how disturbing it is that a small group could gain that much power in such a horrific way.

I fully understand and accept the concept of re-enactments for historical purposes to teach people about the history of certain wars and specific battles and things of that nature. And in those instances, yes, you will have to have people taking on the personas of the "bad" guys as well as the "good" guys. It wouldn't be authentic otherwise. They're actors playing roles in those circumstances. That's fine.

But I have to agree that this does sound a bit...off. If I were a father looking to bond with my son, for instance, I don't think this is the route I'd be taking to do so. And if it's true that this group this guy belongs to has this unsettling romantic notion of what happened in the time of the Nazis, to the point of seemingly almost admiring their might, even if they don't admire their actions otherwise, and getting their facts horribly wrong, that's not good. At all. Add to that that he seems to not be able to separate playing a part from other aspects of his life (the "alter ego" thing), and it does make him look, at the very least, a little on the strange side.

Even if his interest is a totally innocent thing, it involves Nazis. That's a touchy, dangerous subject for society in general. So he shouldn't be surprised that many people out there would be uncomfortable with this.

Angela
Old 10-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

I think the bigger question here is, who is organizing a reenactment involving Nazis?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #115
She's the One

There are all kinds of reenactment groups everywhere. My husband rides an old BMW, so he sees these Nazi guys now and then. Any kind of war or historical event has reenactors. Someones's got to be the Confederates, the Nazis, the members of Custer's army. Not everyone gets to be the good guys.

I knew someone who spent a considerable amount of her childhood summers up in Wyoming while her father was a "mountain man" at a big "rendezvous" for mountain man reenactors.

They're all a little weird and obsessed. And usually a LOT fatter than the people they're imitating.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #116
Refugee

While I haven't really heard of any world war II reenactments, I know theres plenty of civil war enactments. No one cares if someone is a confederate soldier. I still don't see it as a big deal.

Quote:
You don't find it odd that someone wants to play an SS soldier on the weekend as "fun"?

I think many would find that odd.
Because obviously that's all he does.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #117
Refugee

Quote:
And usually a LOT fatter than the people they're imitating.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #118
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
While I haven't really heard of any world war II reenactments, I know theres plenty of civil war enactments. No one cares if someone is a confederate soldier. I still don't see it as a big deal.

Because obviously that's all he does.
No, I find Civil War enactments to be very odd as well...

I wonder about the motive, but that's just me personally.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #119
The Fly

Local Time: 10:55 PM
You don't understand how Obamacare takes away Freedom? Really? Never in the history of the United States has the Government forced a citizen to purchase something simply because he or she exists. NEVER. Not to mention that it will turn our health care into a bloated, governmental buearocracy. These people can't even get the post office in the black! Wake up!
Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #120
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb-baby View Post
You don't understand how Obamacare takes away Freedom? Really? Never in the history of the United States has the Government forced a citizen to purchase something simply because he or she exists. NEVER. Not to mention that it will turn our health care into a bloated, governmental buearocracy. These people can't even get the post office in the black! Wake up!
I've never used the fire department, but I'm pretty sure I've been paying for that my whole life. And I'm glad it's there.

Think Medicare and the VA medical system, not the Postal Service--the analogy doesn't fit. This first attempt at a national health care plan is a far cry from those, but it is a good first step.