'Gone Old Party' - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #61
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Some argue that a lower tax rate increases spending and investing which leads to more profits and income which increases total tax revenue (despite the lower tax rate).
I think that those that will be most affected by the tax break are higher earners who tend to save, so that money just sits unused.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Wasn't that the whole point of the trickle down effect/economics? How did that work out for everyone?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

ABC News

A new video featuring Delaware Republican Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell from a television appearance in the 1990s has been released, and while not as eccentric as last week's infamous 'Witchcraft' video, it still presents the GOP's rising star in an unflattering light.

On Friday night Bill Maher aired on his HBO show, "Real Time," a clip from his previous show, "Politically Incorrect," of O'Donnell saying to a groaning audience, "Evolution is a myth...why aren't monkeys still evolving into humans?"

O'Donnell appeared on the political talk show on 22 different episodes, and Maher has said he will air a clip of O'Donnell every week until she agrees to appear on his show.

"It's like a hostage crisis," Maher said last week. "Every week you don't show up, I'm going to throw another body out."
Old 09-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:16 AM
This country is doomed if she and/or Palin ever win anything.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:16 AM
Told you she was ignorant, uneducated and dangerous.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #66
She's the One

Local Time: 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Told you she was ignorant, uneducated and dangerous.
And the hope of the libertarians, apparently.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Tea Party-backed U.S. Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell said in an interview published online this week that God is guiding the trajectory for her campaign.

"God continued to strengthen and empower us when, you know, his strength is perfected in our weakness," explained the Senate hopeful to Jennifer Wishon at the Christian Broadcasting Network. "Because you see that if it weren't for faith, when all logic said it's time to quit, we pursued, we marched on, because we knew God was not releasing us to quit."

O'Donnell, who is facing off against Democrat Chris Coons in Delaware's general election, called the spiritual phenomenon "exciting."

The remarks bare resemblance to comments made by Nevada GOP Senate candidate Sharron Angle earlier this year. During an interview that took place in July she said, "I believe that God has been in this from the beginning and because of that when he has a plan and a purpose for your life and you fit into that, what he calls you to he always equipped you for."

Angle told CBN over the summer that her crusade to unseat Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is "her calling." The suggestion sparked backlash from within the religious community.

At the time, President of the Interfaith Alliance, Rev. Dr. C. Welton Gaddy, issued a statement contending:

Candidates for public office are free to talk about how their faith informs their thinking, but should not imply that policy positions will be based on scripture rather than the Constitution. It has been my experience that when candidates intentionally insert faith into politics, the purpose is rarely to protect religion; rather it is done to enhance a political position.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quote:
"Because you see that if it weren't for faith, when all logic said it's time to quit, we pursued, we marched on, because we knew God was not releasing us to quit."
That's no surprise she's ignoring what logic says about this, 'cause I think logic, to quote from 'Tommy Boy', "waved bye-bye to her long ago".

Now, of course, if a Muslim ever ran for office and stated that they ran based on some divine inspiration from their leader, oh, no, couldn't have that, all hell would break loose. Yet somehow Christians can say the same thing and that's perfectly fine. Strange.

I wonder what God, if they exist, must think about statements like hers. If God does indeed support people like her, though, more reason for me to go hang with the atheists.

Of course, statements like this give me hope:

Quote:
At the time, President of the Interfaith Alliance, Rev. Dr. C. Welton Gaddy, issued a statement contending:

Candidates for public office are free to talk about how their faith informs their thinking, but should not imply that policy positions will be based on scripture rather than the Constitution. It has been my experience that when candidates intentionally insert faith into politics, the purpose is rarely to protect religion; rather it is done to enhance a political position.
Oh, if only we could inject that sort of sanity and realism into the O'Donnells and Angles of the world.

Angela
Old 09-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:16 AM
Both O'Donnell and Angle need to read that book by Jim Wallis: God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It. Its a bit out of date (it was written for the 2004 election), but it does explain that God wouldn't side with a politician based on one or two issues.

And I have a question for O'Donnell and Angle: if they lose, would they see it as God's plan? Are they sure they are following God or are they following their egos? OK, that was more than one question, but I really can't stand it when a politician says "God is on my side, not yours!"
Old 09-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Both O'Donnell and Angle need to read that book by Jim Wallis: God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It. Its a bit out of date (it was written for the 2004 election), but it does explain that God wouldn't side with a politician based on one or two issues.
I've heard a bit about that book. It sounds interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Quote:
And I have a question for O'Donnell and Angle: if they lose, would they see it as God's plan?
I was actually considering that same question! Yeah, would love to hear their answers to that one. I assume it'd be the typical, "Oh, well, he works in mysterious ways/believes we're meant for something else" (which would make me wonder why he wasted his time, then) sort of blather, but still, it would be fun to watch them try and explain their way out of that.

Angela
Old 10-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
And the hope of the libertarians, apparently.

Libertarians are seeking less government, less taxes, more freedom.

If Sarah Palin is speaking this....then more power to her.

Why do you think these ideas are wrong?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
and fuck the poor, mirite?
Old 10-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #73
She's the One

Local Time: 10:16 PM
Quote:

Please provide some quotes where Palin and your pal O'Donnell are seeking all this. Don't worry; we'll wait.

Quote:
Please quote ME where I've said these ideas are wrong.

My disdain is for people who will support O'Donnell and her type. She's not libertarian; she's fucking crazy.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #74
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

But why is it coming from people who do not understand the constitution, railing against the government on uninformed issues, or cheering for less taxes as they cheer for more war?

Are there libertarians that are not hypocrites?

Are there libertarians that ARE informed?

Where are they?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #75
has a

Quote:

How does more government always equate to less freedom?

Laws and the enforcement of them help to uphold our social contract. I firmly believe in the maxim: "You have the right to do whatever until it infringes on the right of someone else to do whatever." That takes government.

Most people who I have heard claim that they are Libertarians are mostly whiners who want things their way. That's not "more freedom." That's selfishness.

And taxes?

Thankfully, I don't equate my freedom with money. Money provides opportunities, obviously. But, I gladly pay my taxes to a responsible government (less so these days, but I believe that's fixable). I understand that good government provides the equality for more of society to have an equal shot at happiness.

Money doesn't equate to happiness or true freedom. Equal opportunity and justice leads to happiness and success.

We have long, proud history in Minnesota of great education, a great business community and social acceptance, tolerance and justice. This all despite our high taxes and strong government. I'm very happy with it.