'Gone Old Party' - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #166
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:08 PM
House Minority Leader John Boehner has been walking the line on the campaign trail, conjuring up American icons who may or may not agree with his message in order drum up support from his base. Rosanne Cash, daughter of the legendary singer Johnny Cash, a name frequently brought up by the GOP leader, apparently thinks that line has been crossed, as she recently tweeted a demand -- and an insult -- to Boehner asking him to cut it out.

"John Boehner: Stop using my dad's name as a punchline, you asshat," Cash wrote in a tweet Monday.

The New York Times reports on a joke that has become a staple of Boehner's campaign trail repertoire:

At each stop he draws on nostalgia for the Republican glory days of the 1980s, by telling the same joke. "Remember when Ronald Reagan was president," he said. "We had Bob Hope. We had Johnny Cash. Think about where we are today. We have got President Obama. But we have no hope and we have no cash." It draws hoots of laughter and applause every time.

Gauging the twitter dialogue, the response to Cash's defense of her father seems largely positive, though some appear to have taken offense to the slight at Boehner. To one detractor, Cash responded:

"[H]e didn't sign on to be punchline for some politician; he's not here to defend himself. He deserves more honor. Think what you will."

As Johnny Cash, who didn't usually wear partisanship on his sleeve but was renowned for his politically charged lyrics, once sang in "The One On The Right Is On The Left":

"Don't go mixin' politics with the folk songs of our land
Just work on harmony and diction
Play your banjo well
And if you have political convictions keep them to yourself"

Old 11-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #167
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:08 PM
Quote:
At each stop he draws on nostalgia for the Republican glory days of the 1980s, by telling the same joke. "Remember when Ronald Reagan was president," he said. "We had Bob Hope. We had Johnny Cash. Think about where we are today. We have got President Obama. But we have no hope and we have no cash." It draws hoots of laughter and applause every time.
Ahaha, ahahaha, aha, ha...um...yeah .

I was just a small child in the '80s, but I seem to recall learning that quite a few people didn't have much hope and cash that decade. There was a whole farmers' crisis thing going on, and there was that stock market tumble in '87, to name a couple economic problems, so try again, maybe?

Boehner's an idiot. I'm glad Rosanne's calling him out on that crap.

Angela

Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #168
Refugee

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Well said Mrs. Springsteen and I glad Rosanne spoke up in defense of her dad. She is right of course.

Wise words in Johnny's song. I'm not a fan of the modern country music. But, I grew up listening to Johnny Cash, my mom loved him and so do I.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #169
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Ahaha, ahahaha, aha, ha...um...yeah .

I was just a small child in the '80s, but I seem to recall learning that quite a few people didn't have much hope and cash that decade. There was a whole farmers' crisis thing going on, and there was that stock market tumble in '87, to name a couple economic problems, so try again, maybe?

Boehner's an idiot. I'm glad Rosanne's calling him out on that crap.
exactly. i'm in the same boat as you, i was just a little kid but i remember that stuff. i remember the recession in the early 80s (well, it was before i was born but i've certainly heard about it) but thankfully my parents weren't affected by it. i also remember what you mentioned, though again we weren't affected by it. but since it didn't affect me, it doesn't mean it didn't happen or anything. i think it's easier to look back on the past and remember, well, YOU didn't lose your job nor did anyone you knew. revisionist history is never a good thing, and if we don't learn from our past mistakes we're bound to repeat them. that's what happened this time and oh hey, we didn't learn from them again. it's just easier to point the finger and blame obama because he didn't undo the recession in less time than it took for it to occur.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
exactly. i'm in the same boat as you, i was just a little kid but i remember that stuff. i remember the recession in the early 80s (well, it was before i was born but i've certainly heard about it) but thankfully my parents weren't affected by it. i also remember what you mentioned, though again we weren't affected by it. but since it didn't affect me, it doesn't mean it didn't happen or anything. i think it's easier to look back on the past and remember, well, YOU didn't lose your job nor did anyone you knew.
This hit the nail on the head, right here: "I didn't experience it, therefore, it doesn't matter/exist." That's precisely what it is. Too many self-absorbed people who have a hard time putting themselves in someone else's shoes (which, given the '80s were the decade of "Me, me, me!", shouldn't be surprising).

My family's certainly never been able to call ourselves anything even remotely concerned with the word "rich", and we've never been in the "upper middle-class" bracket, either, so my guess is my parents struggled through like many others did. I know they've never spoken well of Reagan's presidency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
revisionist history is never a good thing, and if we don't learn from our past mistakes we're bound to repeat them. that's what happened this time and oh hey, we didn't learn from them again. it's just easier to point the finger and blame obama because he didn't undo the recession in less time than it took for it to occur.
Fully, completely agreed here as well. Especially about the revisionist history stuff. Rose-colored glasses may be pretty, but there's a reason why they're tinted instead of clear.

Angela
Old 11-05-2010, 02:24 AM   #171
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:08 PM
YouTube - Together
Old 11-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #172
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Gentlemen, I do believe we've found the perfect way to elicit a roll of the eyes.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:08 AM
I know she's speaking English, but I honestly have no clue what she says in these videos. I just hear words put together but i'm left feeling the exact same way before i listened.

I can't wait till she runs and just embarrasses herself again. Wonder how many shout outs or winks to the camera she'll do???
Old 11-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #174
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

The lumberjack guy was the guy from the Real World right?

We've had actors and wrestlers, but if I'm not mistaken he's the first reality TV star...

Snooki in 2016!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #175
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:08 PM
Looking at it pragmatically, I really think the country could have done a lot worse than to have Boehner as speaker. When considering the current low watermark in people who choose to run for office and get media coverage on a nat'l level, he's pretty old school Washington.

We're going to see a lot of stalemate in the next two years, and the ball is in the Republicans' court pretty much to get something done. I expect a couple of vetos from Obams, probably deserved ones, and a lot of crying from the House Rs about how they're trying to get something done but the White House is stopping them. It's going to feel good to see the other side frustrated and fractured after two years of them walking in lockstep to entirely oppose the Democratic majority and the White House.

The real question is whether the American public will be frustrated with the Republicans in 2012 for getting nothing done beyond a couple of showy forced congressional testimonies from White House officials. If that happens, and the economy finally hits its stride in 2011 and 2012 then Obama's reelection is a pretty sure thing.

There is also the question of how the nat'l Republican Party is going to stamp down the Tea Party wing, get them into line while still pandering to their base, and line up all the horses for 2012.

If we see a libertarian-minded third party candidate running in 2012, they will surely be taking votes away from the Republicans rather than Democrats and undecideds. The Tea Party is the new Religious Right and the party needs them in the big election.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #176
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:08 PM
I honestly want to throw up every time I hear Sarah Palin speak. She is so inarticulate, it really pains me. And the constant dropping of every G from a verb endin' and the use of "gonna", "wanna", "ya" and so forth in a serious speech is beyond silly.

If this is what makes me an elitist, then thank God that I am one.

That video of hers is BEYOND RIDICULOUS.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #177
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:08 AM
Boehner's a complete alcoholic allegedly, it apparently accounts for his crying jags.

Even the otherwise soft Vanity Fair write up on him recently tallked of him being a "one, two, three or sometimes more beer a night" man.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #178
Blue Crack Addict

That's an interesting explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I honestly want to throw up every time I hear Sarah Palin speak. She is so inarticulate, it really pains me. And the constant dropping of every G from a verb endin' and the use of "gonna", "wanna", "ya" and so forth in a serious speech is beyond silly.

Amen to every single word of this post. I saw that video last night on TV and was just like, "What the F*CK?"

I also heard that in the first episode of her "docuseries" (it's not a reality show! It's a docuseries), she actually complains about invasion of privacy.

I'll say that again: On her TV show about her life in Alaska, she complains about invasion of privacy. Yeah .

Is it too much to ask that a rocket please, PLEASE send her to some faraway galaxy and never, ever bring her back? Anyone who still thinks she's something worth supporting...I don't even know what's going wrong in their minds anymore.

Angela
Old 11-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #179
She's the One

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Quote:
I honestly want to throw up every time I hear Sarah Palin speak.
I had to stop listening to her. I had to do the same with W.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #180
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:

totally agreed. i know she says she's a hockey mom and all that, and well she definitely proves she is. but i want politicians who are better than me and better than the typical person. if i can hear them talk and go "hey, i can do better than this" then that person shouldn't be anywhere near politics.