Golliwogs removed from stores for Oprah's Australian visit - are they offensive? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:55 PM
Rather sad that it took Oprah to get them removed. As long as Oprah isn't offended it doesn't matter if any other African Americans there are?

Apparently Oprah's even bigger there than she is here-and even more powerful. I think the dolls are offensive-no need for that in 2010.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
The golliwog, just like blackface, is no longer socially acceptable.

Fuck, I call black people 'black', and am generally pretty tired of forced political correctness, and I realize that these things are based on cartoonish parodies of black features and are pretty bad news.

Australia has its own bad, very bad history towards darker-coloured folks, so it's kind of surprising that there is any kind of argument in favour of the shopkeeper.
Nice post .

I guess I figure if this doll isn't sold here it'll likely be found or some similar version will be made elsewhere or something. And of all the continuing battles in regards to fighting racism, I think focusing on a doll that may or may not be seen as offensive to somebody depending on where they reside or whatever doesn't seem like it's going to achieve much. I think sometimes we do need to pick our battles, if that makes any sort of sense.

That said, looking at the doll, I certainly would come to the same conclusions that many others here have, and no doubt see where many would find it offensive.

Angela

Old 12-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"How many of you here have ancestors who were slaves?" I ask the class.

All the black students raise their hand.

I raise my hand. I'm a white guy.

The reaction from all students is normal.

Why did you raise your hand?

"You're white."

My answer, it does not matter what our race is, we all have ancestors who were enslaved.

Slavery has existed in history through all cultures and races.

Do a google search and you will find it exists today.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post

"You're white."

My answer, it does not matter what our race is, we all have ancestors who were enslaved.

But how far would you have to trace your ancestors? Centuries probably?

Whereas some only have to go back a few generations. Do you still see the effects of your ancestors slavery? No, but some of them do.

I hope you recognize that.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post

"You're white."

So the lesson we take away from this is that your school doesn't have Ancient History in the curriculum?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

the iron horse, I really have a big problem with your teaching style based on that example and I'm not being flippant either.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
the iron horse, I really have a big problem with your teaching style based on that example and I'm not being flippant either.
So do I, for so many reasons.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of your ancestors owned an ancestor of one of your students. What a bizarre example of self-entitlement.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #53
45:33

Local Time: 07:55 AM
I've changed my tune.

Big Boi is touring NZ/Aus and he was shocked to find the golliwogs at a NZ airport. He tweeted about it and they got rid of them. I then stumbled upon this, a tweet from someone else that he retweeted:

The Golliwog Caricature

Quote:
The claim that Golliwogs are racist is supported by literary depictions by writers such as Enid Blyton. Unlike Florence Upton's, Blyton's Golliwogs were often rude, mischievous, elfin villains. In Blyton's book, Here Comes Noddy Again, a Golliwog asks the hero for help, then steals his car. Blyton, one of the most prolific European writers, included the Golliwogs in many stories, but she only wrote three books primarily about Golliwogs: The Three Golliwogs (1944), The Proud Golliwog (1951), and The Golliwog Grumbled (1953). Her depictions of Golliwogs are, by contemporary standards, racially insensitive. An excerpt from The Three Golliwogs is illustrative:

Once the three bold golliwogs, Golly, Woggie, and Nigger, decided to go for a walk to Bumble-Bee Common. Golly wasn't quite ready so Woggie and Nigger said they would start off without him, and Golly would catch them up as soon as he could. So off went Woogie and Nigger, arm-in-arm, singing merrily their favourite song -- which, as you may guess, was Ten Little Nigger Boys.

Ten Little Niggers is the name of a children's poem, sometimes set to music, which celebrates the deaths of ten Black children, one-by-one. The Three Golliwogs was reprinted as recently as 1968, and it still contained the above passage. Ten Little Niggers was also the name of a 1939 Agatha Christie novel, whose cover showed a Golliwog lynched, hanging from a noose.
My jaw just dropped. I had no idea. I genuinely thought they were just a black-coloured kids toy. Completely ruined Enid Blyton for me too. I used to love the Enchanted Tree or whatever it was.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #54
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

yeah. i tend to never read comments i see on facebook because well, it's like comments on youtube. but stuff posted a link about it and people were like "IT'S NOT RACIST I GREW UP WITH ONE OK" as if they're the beacon for what is and isn't racist.

they're incredibly racist dolls and just because australia and nz have held on to them a bit longer than everyone else doesn't mean they're not racist. plus i don't know what something like that is even doing in the auckland airport; not even getting into golliwogs' history but as a viewer pointed out on the news they're not very kiwi.