Godwin's Law

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solemole

War Child
This should be a sticky post in this forum.

Proposed extensions of Godwin’s Law - Paul Krugman Blog - NYTimes.com

Proposed extensions of Godwin’s Law

Godwin’s Law — which says that in any sufficiently long online discussion, someone will compare his opponent to Hitler — is often interpreted to mean that if you do, in fact, start making Nazi comparisons, you’ve lost the argument and can no longer be taken seriously. I’m all for that. (Does this mean that we should no longer take any significant figure in the Republican Party seriously? Yes, it does.)

But there are a lot of moral equivalents of Nazi comparisons, and they should receive the same treatment. I propose that we officially declare that anyone who

1. Responds to calls for more government action in some area — employment creation, health care, whatever — by invoking the example of the Soviet Union

or

2. Responds to suggestions that moderate inflation and/or dollar depreciation is acceptable by invoking the example of Zimbabwe

or

3. Responds to any demonstration that projected debt levels, while high, are within the range advanced countries have successfully dealt with in the past by invoking the example of Argentina

be summarily consigned to the outer darkness.

Make it so.

^Now known as Krugman's Law.

(Does this mean that we should no longer take any significant figure in the Republican Party seriously? Yes, it does.)

No longer...you mean people take them seriously now?

:ohmy:

Some good points there.

On the issue of Godwin's Law itself, I have always felt a little uncomfortable about it although I understand the silliness of Hitler comparisons in almost any imaginable contemporary discussion.

There is, however a little rule of thumb I hold dear: it's ok to call your opponents fascists when they, in fact, are.

(Does this mean that we should no longer take any significant figure in the Republican Party seriously? Yes, it does.)

Give me names. Give me examples of every leader of the GOP making Hitler comparisons: Boehner, McConnell, Romney, Gingrich, Cantor...

I assume then that you also assert that Democratic politicians like Alan Grayson, Keith Ellison, Dick Durbin, Major Owens (and so on) are incapable of making any coherent arguments? Because they've all made such comparisons.

Back
Top Bottom