Go Scott Brown!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
616_1264217946.jpg

Let's not forget Brown's Victory Speech.

"My daughters are available."
He actually said that?! I thought that was some exaggeration I head on "The Daily Show".

I thought Palin was bad enough, but this guy has had a pretty good life and needn't be so scummy, but he chooses to. This is the kind of guy (and the kind of victory) that makes me lose faith in humanity.

Oh please. The comment he made about his daughters was a joke he made on-the-spot. He was obviously pretty flustered when he made his speech. Don't judge him based on one unfortunate comment.

No pictures of Scott Brown in a seashell shaped Speedo? :(

Cosmo has asked him to reprise his pose-that would be all kinds of awesome. He would need some manscaping-but maybe he's not as hairy now.

It's all Scott Brown all the time on the news-he eats at a diner, he drives his truck to the diner, he goes to Ayla's basketball game :hyper:

People are actually calling car dealerships looking for the Scott Brown truck

Sure thing, it's next to the flag-burning and nude erotic dancing clause.

Maybe now you can understand why every time you bring up judicial activism, I can't take you seriously at all.

If a Dem posed nude, and his wife did a vid about hand jobs it would have all we heard about 24/7.
Dems usually can't hide under "born-again Christian" as a dismissive explanation.

Like the alcoholic (and possible crack addict) they put up as president before our current one.

Add up the unemployment rates of all years with the first 3 numbers 1, 9 and 7 and divide by ten.

You will get 7.01%. Unless you even get the numbers from one of your partisan sources, which I would not put past you.

Partisan sources? Please tell me what Partisan sources I use.

Do you consider the United States Department Of Labor to be a Partisan source?

You can get the unemployment rate for each month in the 1970s here:

Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey

Add up all 120 months and then divide by 120.

Here is the annual unemployment rate for each year in the 1970s:

1970: 4.98%
1971: 5.95%
1972: 5.60%
1973: 4.86%
1974: 5.64%
1975: 8.48%
1976: 7.70%
1977: 7.05%
1978: 6.07%
1979: 5.85%

Average Unemployment rate in the 1970s: 6.22%

Here is another source just looking at annual unemployment rates per year:

The United States Unemployment Rate By Year

And Diamond, Harry Vest, etc do not exist in this forum? They most certainly do. Plus, that's irrelevant, as you are claiming that I deem anyone of opposing opinion incapable of rational discussion. I am just pointing out that conservatives and Republicans I know outside of you and Indy are perfectly capable of rational discussion. Does not matter whether they post here.

I have been through this many times with you.

Wonderful, but your opinion is mistaken.

There is a difference between defending Bush, and doing what you constantly do. That is misrepresent and take things out of context unreasonably to make Republicans look better. Only in your world could a poverty rate that keeps increasing under Bush versus one that keeps going down under Clinton mean that Bush policies did a better job on poverty.

1. Its factually inaccurate to say that the poverty rate increased every year under Bush. There were a couple of years when the poverty rate did go down.

2. The subject of that thread was about calling the recent decade, the decade from hell. I pointed out correctly that the average poverty rate during the 00s as well as under Bush, was less than the average poverty rate during the 90s or under Bill Clinton. Thats a FACT, just as it is a fact that the average unemployment rate during the 00s was less than that during the 90s.

3. Its a fact that a higher percentage of people lived in poverty during the Clinton years vs the Bush years.

I factually rebutted and explained every statistic you put out. The difference is my explaining versus your coming back with one line repetitions of the same thing. I actually explain why I interpret the statistics the way I do and why I think that is reasonable. Other posters read these back and forths.

I then factually rebutted that and again explained why I interpret the statistics the way I do and why I think that is reasonable.

And guess what Strongbow?? More people think I am the reasonable one than you, and not just the left leaning people. Multiple people have pointed out the flaws in your interpretations of things.

LOL of course they do. You will not find many more places where George Bush is this unpopular. Its inconcievable for many here to acknowledge that Bush ever did anything right, or that things were not as bad as many say they were while he was in office.

I said I have never seen it. All I have seen is you trying to argue about how objective conditions under Bush were the way you say they were. Remember, I between the 2 of us, we have never discussed a single policy, just your inability to fact the truth.That to me was a pretty good indication that you would do anything to make this guy look good. If you have some criticisms, good for you. I am glad to have my criticisms of the Democrats as well.

I did not make up ANYTHING about the unemployment rate, inflation rate, poverty rate, debt as a percentage of GDP or GDP growth rate. Everything I stated was based on factual statistics. Its a fact that when looking at these five economic indicators, the past decade was actually pretty good compared to the other decades for which there is data. The averages for these indicators during the Bush years are very good when compared with other Presidents.

The fact that you would attempt to refute all of that and not ever acknowledge are give any sort of credit to the Bush administration for anything is the only indicator of bias.

The point I was making was that you think you can come with your BS repetitions of your spin on statistics and call the discussion over. I am well aware of the fact that its not a game. I know the mods do not assign points to certain arguments. How could I possibly think that it was a game if you are still here posting? You'd be long gone if it were a game with points assigned for good, reasonable, logical, fact supported arguments!

When did I ever say a discussion was over? I simply brought in factual statistics which showed that the averages for 5 different major economic indicators during the Bush years were, relative to many other Presidents, actually very good. I disputed the main contention of the thread that the 00s were "The Decade From Hell" and that it was the worst decade for the USA since the 1930s. There is nothing unreasonable or illogical about that, because they are simply facts.

Neither of you really understand the issues, otherwise you would not feel the need to spin them w/o explanation and he would not feel the need to duck them completely.

Look at this. Here you are again, spinning, mis-representing, generalizing, not about the issues, but about other forum members.

Partisan sources? Please tell me what Partisan sources I use.

Do you consider the United States Department Of Labor to be a Partisan source?

You can get the unemployment rate for each month in the 1970s here:

Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey

Add up all 120 months and then divide by 120.

Here is the annual unemployment rate for each year in the 1970s:

1970: 4.98%
1971: 5.95%
1972: 5.60%
1973: 4.86%
1974: 5.64%
1975: 8.48%
1976: 7.70%
1977: 7.05%
1978: 6.07%
1979: 5.85%

Average Unemployment rate in the 1970s: 6.22%

Here is another source just looking at annual unemployment rates per year:

The United States Unemployment Rate By Year

I added each year and divided by 10. Did not do it by month. Maybe I added a number wrong as well. Maybe you could go back and re calculate your numbers on debt% of GDP in the 1990s!

Either way, I was talking about the 80s being worse unemployment wise then the 1970s.

Wonderful, but your opinion is mistaken.

1. Its factually inaccurate to say that the poverty rate increased every year under Bush. There were a couple of years when the poverty rate did go down.

2. The subject of that thread was about calling the recent decade, the decade from hell. I pointed out correctly that the average poverty rate during the 00s as well as under Bush, was less than the average poverty rate during the 90s or under Bill Clinton. Thats a FACT, just as it is a fact that the average unemployment rate during the 00s was less than that during the 90s.

3. Its a fact that a higher percentage of people lived in poverty during the Clinton years vs the Bush years.

I then factually rebutted that and again explained why I interpret the statistics the way I do and why I think that is reasonable.

LOL of course they do. You will not find many more places where George Bush is this unpopular. Its inconcievable for many here to acknowledge that Bush ever did anything right, or that things were not as bad as many say they were while he was in office.

How could an opinion be mistaken? There are plenty of Republicans capable of reasonable discussion.

We already went through the numbers in the other thread.

You saying that more people lived in poverty or that average unemployment was higher in the 1990s is not something that can be reasonably used to defend George Bush. This is where my argument was. 2000 Clinton was in office. We were talking more about politics then we were the exact date of change in decade when I entered the discussion. Looking at the 2 decades in comparison gives the mediocre 90,91,92 period to Clinton and the very good year 2000 to Bush. So comparisons of the 2 decades do not work if we are discussing the 2 Presidents.

Again, Clinton started with high unemployment and poverty rates and knocked them down throughout his Presidency to historic lows.

Bush started with those historic lows, and in the case of poverty, it got consistently worse, in the case of unemployment, it went up and down. But it started low and ended high. 2 million jobs for Bush vs 23 million for Clinton. Wages, salaries, after tax income, all much better under Clinton.

When you look at where 8 years of Clinton policies left us versus where 8 years of Bush policies left us, you will not find anyone who will take 8 years of Bush.

2000 we had the lowest number of people living in poverty ever, 3.9% unemployment, more Americans had moved out of poverty into the middle class, more Americans going to college than ever, more manufacturing jobs than in any decade since the 1960s, surplus, lower debt, etc. We have been through it all.

You did not factually rebut me on anything, and you never explain why we should all look at your interpretations as more reasonable. You THINK you did, but you think alot of things, so that's ok.

Even in this thread, you are still stuck on trying to defend George Bush's economic record, which is pretty difficult to do. Especially when compared to Bill Clinton's.

You are also still stuck on claiming that I do not discuss issues, but other forum members. I will put my discussion and explanation of the issues up against anyone's. Certainly against your one line repetitions of the same numbers using faulty logic.

All I do is call out other people who do not discuss issues. This is what I have been trying to get INDY to do. He has been asked to discuss issues by many here, and asked to explain himself and has not.

So again, stop accusing me of violating your made up rules of the forum that have already been rejected by the moderators. YOU ARE NOT A MODERATOR HERE, YOU DO NOT DECIDE WHAT IS RELEVANT TO DISCUSSION OR WHAT CAN AND CANNOT BE POSTED. THE PEOPLE WHO ARE MODERATORS HAVE ALREADY TOLD YOU THIS.

There are plenty of places where George Bush is this unpopular. You don't get out much. The anti Bush people here are generally very diverse and they constantly discuss issues Obama is dealing with, and they disagree with each other. They disagree with Obama. They disagree with other liberals. They use facts, they explain themselves.

Again, you are stuck on calling the entire forum a bunch of Bush haters and not seeing my point. Again, I ask you, when have you and I ever had a discussion about any of Bush's policies?? We have only discussed your unwillingness to face what happened when he was President. Not even whether he was responsible or not, which there are plenty of good points for "Yes" and plenty of good points for "NO." What the facts were, what happened, how employment numbers looked, how poverty trends looked, how income looked, etc- this is what we have discussed. Alot more forum members have seen the flaws in how you present things than how I present things. How is this indicative of some kind of hostile to Bush crowd? All it is is people looking at what the facts say and coming to the conclusion that you are misrepresenting them. You can be a died in the wool Republican and still come to that conclusion. So no, its not a bunch of people agreeing with me because they are whacko liberals. People have pointed out their work with statistics and numbers and told you how what you are doing is not logical, without injecting their political views into it at all.

The pro Bush people here, by in large, use talking points and make generalizations about "liberals" because this is how you have been taught to discuss by people like Rush, Hannity, O'Reilly, etc. This was not how debating between Democrats and Republicans worked prior to the mid 80s when this talk radio culture took off.

Your poverty comparison of Bush and Clinton, for example, is right out of a Bill O'Reilly segment that was widely rebutted by independent sources years ago.

Now, all you other forum members, try and find anything I do that is right out of any left win spinmeister's playbook.

And this guy is accusing me of spinning?! What a pathetic existence.

What a pathetic existence.

Over the line, U2387. Maybe it'd be best if you just add Sting to your ignore list. You're not going to change his mind, he's not going to change yours, and no amount of voluminous posts from either of you will change that.

However, Sting, U2387 is right when he says that it is not your place to tell other posters what they can and cannot or should or should not be posting on these forums.

It'd be best if you both just dropped it, as it clearly isn't going anywhere.

well, this is certainly interesting:

According to the new Washington Post poll of Massachusetts voters, between approximately one-third and one-half of Brown’s voters claimed that neither Obama (52%) nor the Democratic agenda (29%) in Washington was a factor in their vote. The difference in opposition to Obama among Brown voters (43%) and opposition to the Democratic agenda (65%) is fairly remarkable, as if one could cast a vote to convey displeasure with the agenda without also sending a message of opposition to Obama. Inexplicably, a small percentage of Brown voters (4 and 5% respectively) said that they were voting for Brown to express support for Obama or the Democratic agenda. We also find that 29% of Brown’s voters had voted for Obama, and 33% still approve of Obama’s job performance. 24% of Brown voters are enthusiastic or satisfied with administration policies! They have a funny way of showing it.

It is clear that two-thirds of Brown’s voters wished to express their opposition to the Democrats’ agenda, which is to say that pretty much everyone who did not vote for Obama in 2008 does not support Obama’s agenda and wanted to express their opposition to it. I think we knew that before Tuesday. Over a third of Brown’s voters (37%) were dissatisfied or even angry with Congressional Republican policies, which is what you might expect when almost that many of Brown’s voters approve of Obama’s performance and the Congressional GOP is dedicated to thwarting Obama in everything he does.

Looking at what Brown’s voters want him to do with respect to health care, we see that they are divided right down the middle: 50% (47% strongly) do want Brown to work to halt Democratic health care efforts, and 48% (40% strongly) want him to work with Democrats to make changes to their proposals. Half of Brown’s voters want him to sink Obama’s agenda, full stop, and approximately half of them want him to collaborate with Democrats. That is what we might call a mixed message. Looking at Brown voters’ opposition to the health care bill itself, we see that two-thirds of them strongly oppose the bill, which is consistent with what we saw earlier, 14% “somewhat oppose” it and 13% actually support it. 26% of Brown voters believe government should be doing more “to solve problems.” 51% of Brown voters support MassCare. Perhaps most amusing, 52% of Brown voters approved of Ted Kennedy’s job performance.

So what we have here is a significant bloc of Brown voters, at least 24% of them, who approve of Obama, support his policies, and want more activist government, and some of them even support the bill Brown has promised to kill. On one level, it makes perfect sense that these people voted for Brown, because Obama and the Democratic agenda were apparently not factors in deciding how to vote. If they weren’t factors, Brown must have won their votes for some other reason. On another level, it seems bizarre and difficult to fathom that they would vote for someone campaigning on the promise to stop the policies and administration that they support. Perhaps had they been able to know how their votes would be interpreted, or rather misinterpreted, they might have voted differently, and Brown would have been limited to his core of McCain voters.

Eunomia ? What Happened?

Maybe you could go back and re calculate your numbers on debt% of GDP in the 1990s!

90s Debt as a percentage of GDP:

1990 55.72
1991 61.13
1992 64.13
1993 66.26
1994 66.35
1995 67.24
1996 66.84
1997 65.18
1998 63.67
1999 61.47

Average Debt as a percentage of GDP in the 90s: 63.80%

Clinton administration Debt as a percentage of GDP:

1993 66.26
1994 66.35
1995 67.24
1996 66.84
1997 65.18
1998 63.67
1999 61.47
2000 58.20

Average Debt as a percentage of GDP during the Clinton administration: 64.40%

00s Debt as a percentage of GDP:

2000 58.20
2001 57.74
2002 59.90
2003 62.31
2004 63.57
2005 64.29
2006 64.98
2007 65.67
2008 70.49
2009 90.36

Average Debt as a percentage of GDP in the 00s: 65.75%

Bush administration Debt as a percentage of GDP:

2001 57.74
2002 59.90
2003 62.31
2004 63.57
2005 64.29
2006 64.98
2007 65.67
2008 70.49

Average Debt as a percentage of GDP during the Bush administration: 63.62%

So, average debt as a percentage of GDP was a little higher in the 00s vs. the 90s, but it was lower during the Bush years compared to the Clinton years. With the exception of the Truman years, the Clinton years had the highest debt as a percentage of GDP in United States history. Truman's average was about 95%.

90s Debt as a percentage of GDP:

1990 55.72
1991 61.13
1992 64.13
1993 66.26
1994 66.35
1995 67.24
1996 66.84
1997 65.18
1998 63.67
1999 61.47

Average Debt as a percentage of GDP in the 90s: 63.80%

Clinton administration Debt as a percentage of GDP:

1993 66.26
1994 66.35
1995 67.24
1996 66.84
1997 65.18
1998 63.67
1999 61.47
2000 58.20

Are you fuckin soft? How many times have we gone over the same numbers? Look at Clinton's first term, it was STABLE. I already explained to you that given what he inherited from Reagan/Bush, it took a good deal of fiscal restraint(1993 reconciliation bill) to achieve this. Of course, there were still going to be deficits, and money added to the gross national debt, you can't undo 12 years in 4. However, as the chart shows, it had been increasing by leaps and bounds since 1980. Clinton stabilizes this, and then it drops, and somehow, this shows his policies were responsible for high debt%of GDP.

Only in your world is there any possible way that the numbers can reflect good on Bush and bad on Clinton. Even if the average was a bit higher, look at what each started with. As I said, if Bush had started at 66% like Clinton did, we would have had 73% by the end of his first term and 101% when he left office.

This is exactly why you are viewed as such a joke on here. Its not the numbers, its you using them to dispute that Bush ran up record deficits and debt, which can not be done. You are older than me, and you surely remember well the Clinton years with all the talk of debt and deficits going down, 2 balanced budgets and a surplus. The opposite happened when Bush came in.

You do not have to deny this. It makes you look like a pathetic spinster when you do. How about a discussion of Bush's POLICIES? Tell us why you think he did the best thing he could have done at the time, why you think x or y policy really did not have the influence some suggest, etc. Not that you have ever done that, most of what you do is cut and paste BS that you do not understand anyway.

Now, no more numbers, we have been through them. No more averages, I have pointed you to the flaws. Tell me how this somehow shows that a Bush Presidency was somehow better than a Clinton Presidency given the numbers you use.

I know you will not do that, you will keep repeating the same things we have already been over, but such is the life of Strongbow. So every time from now on you just can not understand how I would make such wild accusations about you not discussing in good faith, I will point right to this. I do not make this stuff up. It is very clear you are still stuck on saying something entirely different than the facts happened during the Bush years.

well, this is certainly interesting:

Very Good:up:

I think alot of it is people really do not vote on issues. The people in FYM or the guy you see at the diner going over the newspaper and discussing the health care bill are few and far between.

They vote on image. They like the President, know that he is doing health care and that they are for that in the abstract, but they also like this new guy Brown, who has an attractive family and an everyman persona. He is running against this uninspiring, really has not opened up to us much, seen us much though she has been around forever Martha Coakley.

They vote for Brown not knowing that he wants to stop Obama.

Are some people the opposite and vote on issues? Did some vote to stop Obama? Absolutely, but like I have said, in and of themselves, they are not numerous enough in MA to get Brown elected.

though Brown doesn't really want to stop Obama. he's on the whole pretty liberal.

and he seems to love universal health care. in Massachusetts at least.

Bush's policies were ruinous to the country. he took an economy that was very good and, over the course of 8 years through massive deficit spending, deregulation, tax cuts, and various wars, he destroyed it.

and now we're going to blame it on the black man.

natch.

Bush's policies were ruinous to the country. he took an economy that was very good and, over the course of 8 years through massive deficit spending, deregulation, tax cuts, and various wars, he destroyed it.

And there goes the sole blame to Bush. The right is going to blame the left, and the left it going to blame that right, that's how it always goes, and very few people come out and say that as a whole we've been fucking the country up for the past few decades.

and now we're going to blame it on the black man.

Would it be any different if Joe Biden or Harry Reid were the president? Quit playing the race card.

And there goes the sole blame to Bush. The right is going to blame the left, and the left it going to blame that right, that's how it always goes, and very few people come out and say that as a whole we've been fucking the country up for the past few decades.

so then we can expand the blame to Bush -- since it started with Reagan. is that what you mean to say?

Would it be any different if Joe Biden or Harry Reid were the president? Quit playing the race card.

i think your irony detector needs some work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom