Go Scott Brown!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
I would like to thank Mr. Brown for making this race interesting. I do not think you are going to win. I do not htink it is as close as they say, but I want to thank you!

:up:

And Martha - Stop beating up reporters with your political hack thugs!

Thread needs more pictures of Ayla Brown.

3235847236_a662a0c9a5.jpg

Ayla+Brown.jpg

Social Conservatives will sell their souls and support and vote for a person that posed for a nude centerfold. :up:

well, this is pretty brain dead:

A new day is coming: restore faith and balance
By Scott Brown | January 14, 2010

I DIDN’T grow up with all the advantages in life. My mom was on welfare for a time, but I had the support of a loving family and good friends and neighbors. I don’t have all the advantages in this race either, and that’s fine by me. Being the underdog has taught me to work harder, and to appreciate the opportunities of our state and our country.

I’m running because more of our people are unemployed today than ever before. Public debt has reached $12 trillion and counting, and Washington politicians want to borrow trillions more. Terrorists want to strike our country again, and they will do so if we let down our guard. We have fighting forces in two theaters of war, and those men and women need our support.

Like everyone else, I want to see more Americans with good health care coverage. I like what we achieved in Massachusetts. It’s not perfect, but nearly everyone is now covered by a private insurance policy - not a government policy. I hope other states follow our example.

But the healthcare bill under discussion in Washington is not good. It will raise taxes and increase spending. If you are a senior on Medicare, it will lead to a half trillion dollars in cuts to your care. Since we are way ahead of the rest of the country with our own state reforms, we will get nothing in return. My opponent, Martha Coakley, will vote yes on this bill. I will insist we start over.

Failure should be admitted in Washington, and not repeated. With last month’s news that we lost another 85,000 jobs, and with unemployment stuck in the double digits, it’s time to admit that while the $787 billion stimulus had the best of intentions, it failed to create one new job. We shouldn’t pass yet another stimulus that adds to the debt without adding jobs.

My plan for the economy is simple: an across-the-board tax cut - in the tradition of John F. Kennedy - for families and businesses that will increase investment and lead to immediate new job growth. More tax increases will hurt our recovery. That’s why I have taken a no-new-tax pledge. My opponent will raise taxes.

Amid all our domestic challenges, our nation is still at war with radical Islamic terrorists determined to destroy our way of life. The Christmas bombing attempt on a Northwest Airlines plane is a wake-up call. But instead of being interrogated by military professionals at Guantanamo, the plane bomber has been given taxpayer-funded lawyers in a US courtroom. Because he’s been granted constitutional rights, he’s invoked his privilege to remain silent. Would-be killers should be treated for what they really are: enemies of a country at war, not ordinary criminals.

My opponent would accord such terrorists all the rights our Constitution grants to citizens. I will treat them as enemy combatants who should face military justice.

As this special election draws to a close, the enthusiasm from everyday citizens has been remarkable. To those who have lost faith in their elected leaders, I say: Don’t lose heart. One-party dominance in our state has led to bad decisions and a culture of corruption, but we can restore people’s faith by restoring balance to our political system.

They call me a long shot. But I’m betting that a new day is coming in Massachusetts. I am running in the name of all independent-thinking citizens, whether they are Democrats, Republicans, or unenrolled, to take on one-party rule, and the Beacon Hill bosses, and their machine, and their candidate. With your help, I intend to win.

Scott Brown is a Republican state senator from Wrentham.

A new day is coming: restore faith and balance - The Boston Globe

i mean, honestly. "let's cut deficits by ... cutting taxes." :huh:

So you're willing to call out a talk show host when he calls Republicans "bastards", but you can't admit when a talk show host on your side is racist?

Truth is not your priority...

Obama tries to rescue a flagging Coakley - BostonHerald.com

U.S. Rep. Edward Markey had harsh words for Brown.

“Independent Republican? That’s an oxymoron,” he said. “We’re all waiting for Wednesday morning when we have Martha Coakley joining us down there. Scott Brown. He’s a lot like George Bush. He says he’s a uniter, not a divider. Well, congratulations, Scott Brown, you have united the Democratic party in Massachusetts.”

Sen. John Kerry said, “We are ready to bring this victory home on Tuesday,” as he attempted to blame the country’s economic woes solely on the administration of George W. Bush.

“All of us feel anger about what’s happened. People have lost jobs, lost their savings, lost their health insurance,” he said. “But let’s remember where that anger should be directed.”

Kerry later added, “I got news for you Scott, George Bush drove a truck, too, and look where he got us ... The last thing we need is for someone to go to Washington and drive that truck into George Bush’s economic ditch.”

"Shove a curling iron up her butt!"
"I just feel like there's hope now," Kevin Gray, a 58-year-old retired letter-carrier.
gotta love the GOP :up:

Brown Rallies A Revitalized GOP
January 17, 2010 12:22 PM
By Felicia Sonmez

WEST SPRINGFIELD, MA -- State Sen. Scott Brown (R) brought his surging campaign to this western MA town this a.m., rallying a crowd of GOPers more energized than many in attendance could remember.
Standing on a platform in front of the truck he has often touted in his stump speech and campaign ads, Brown was in high spirits as he addressed a crowd of more than 100 supporters. The crowd responded enthusiastically as Brown made his case against AG Martha Coakley (D) -- even interrupting frequently to make Brown's case for him.
"I'll tell you what," Brown said, using a megaphone to address the crowd. "There's negative campaigning, and then there's malicious campaigning."
"She's malicious!" a man in the crowd cried out. "She's a phony!" shouted another. "Shove a curling iron up her butt!" a third man interjected a few moments later.

Brown Rallies A Revitalized GOP - Hotline On Call

If you are a senior on Medicare, it will lead to a half trillion dollars in cuts to your care.

This really bugs me- not a single principle here for Scott Brown. First, he's implicitly endorsing the right of all Americans 65 and older to a single payer health care system, and then more or less explicitly saying that there's no waste in Medicare (A Republican is saying this!). Every single dollar is sacred. That way lies national bankruptcy. Either we abolish Medicare or someone gets a smaller cut of the pie.

In short he derides any attempt to control one of the single largest spending problems for our long term debt, while turning around and promising tax cuts.

Very brave, Scott Brown. Sounds an awful lot like Tea Party is a slick rebranding of the same mid-aught Republican governing philosophy.

This really bugs me- not a single principle here for Scott Brown. First, he's implicitly endorsing the right of all Americans 65 and older to a single payer health care system, and then more or less explicitly saying that there's no waste in Medicare (A Republican is saying this!). Every single dollar is sacred. That way lies national bankruptcy. Either we abolish Medicare or someone gets a smaller cut of the pie.

In short he derides any attempt to control one of the single largest spending problems for our long term debt, while turning around and promising tax cuts.

Very brave, Scott Brown. Sounds an awful lot like Tea Party is a slick rebranding of the same mid-aught Republican governing philosophy.

The Democrats aren't making Medicare cuts to curb waste and fraud or to extend the time before the program goes bankrupt. They are making the cuts to pay for a whole new entitlement.

Exuberant New England colloquialism? :shrug:

It's a reference to a case she was involved in-the rape of a two year old girl with a curling iron.

Some saw Coakley as lax on ’05 rape case
AG defends steps in long process

By Michael Rezendes, Boston Globe Globe Staff | January 6, 2010

In October 2005, a Somerville police officer living in Melrose raped his 23-month-old niece with a hot object, most likely a curling iron.

Keith Winfield, then 31, told police he was alone with the toddler that day and made additional statements that would ultimately be used to convict him.

But in the aftermath of the crime, a Middlesex County grand jury overseen by Martha Coakley, then the district attorney, investigated without taking action.

It was only after the toddler’s mother filed applications for criminal complaints that Coakley won grand jury indictments charging rape and assault and battery.

Even then, nearly 10 months after the crime, Coakley’s office recommended that Winfield be released on personal recognizance, with no cash bail. He remained free until December 2007, when Coakley’s successor as district attorney won a conviction and two life terms.

Coakley, now the Democratic candidate for US Senate, has made much of her record prosecuting crimes against children, and says her office handled this investigation appropriately. But the case stands out as one in which she drew criticism for not being aggressive enough. Indeed, the case gave rise to Coakley’s last competitive election.

Larry Frisoli, a Cambridge attorney who had represented the family of Jeffrey Curley, a 10-year-old Cambridge boy murdered by sexual predators in an infamous 1997 case, was so angered by Coakley’s handling of the Winfield investigation that he ran against her as a Republican for attorney general in 2006, ultimately unsuccessfully.

“That was the principal reason Larry decided to run,’’ said Frank Frisoli, Larry’s brother and former law partner. “He clearly felt that procedure was not being followed.’’

Larry Frisoli died of kidney and liver failure last year.

In a recent interview, Coakley said her office acted appropriately at every turn, adding that her office fielded 900 complaints of sexual and physical child abuse each year. She asserted that it was not unusual for prosecutors to require more than one grand jury before obtaining indictments, especially in cases such as Winfield’s, in which there is only circumstantial evidence and the victim is deemed too young to testify.

“I think the jury’s conviction is sound and will be upheld on appeal,’’ Coakley said.

Coakley pointed out that Winfield had no prior convictions, had deep roots in his community, and had appeared voluntarily at his arraignment after a 10-month investigation, leaving her office with scant reason to ask for cash bail and little reason to believe that a judge would order it.

She insisted that Winfield’s status as a law enforcement officer had no bearing on her decisions. “The fact that he was a Somerville police officer was irrelevant,’’ she said.

Coakley’s prosecutors made the recommendation that Winfield be released with no cash bail, even though an investigator with the Department of Children and Families, working in the weeks immediately following the rape, found that Winfield had been suspended from his job with the Somerville police for disciplinary reasons and had lied about it.

In addition, the investigator found that Winfield had concealed the fact that he had been evaluated at Melrose-Wakefield Hospital for stress less than two weeks before the rape.

Indeed, before Winfield’s trial, prosecutors sought to admit evidence that Winfield, in the days leading up to the rape, was treated for a substance abuse problem and had threatened to kill himself by holding a gun to his head, “evincing great emotional stress and the strong possibility that [he] would harm himself or others.’’

Although high cash bail is intended primarily as a means to ensure that the accused appear for court dates, judicial guidelines say it can be imposed in cases because of “the nature and circumstances of the offense’’ or the potential sentence a defendant faces. Each of the rape charges on which Winfield was indicted carried a potential life sentence.

John Swomley, a defense lawyer who has represented clients prosecuted by Coakley, said he found her decision to recommend that Winfield be released on personal recognizance unusual.

“Given the evidence it appears they had, I can’t imagine them not asking for cash bail,’’ he said.

Family members of the toddler remain troubled by Coakley’s recommendation that Winfield be allowed to remain free.

“Why was he able to be two years out of jail? Why is that?’’ said one family member. “We ask that question all the time.’’

The Globe is withholding the names of the family members because naming them would indirectly identify the victim and the Globe does not publish the names of sexual abuse victims.

But Robert L. Sheketoff - Winfield’s attorney in his appeal, which is still pending - said the decision by Coakley’s office to allow Winfield to remain free on personal recognizance was appropriate.

“Bail is not supposed to be used as a means to keep someone locked up,’’ he said.

The Winfield case began Oct. 13, 2005, after a day when Winfield and his wife were baby sitting their niece, along with their own two children.

That afternoon, when the toddler’s grandmother stopped by to pick her up, she found the toddler crying, and the child refused to walk. After taking the toddler home, the grandmother changed her diaper and noticed what she could only conclude was a severe diaper rash, according to a narrative of the case detailed in court documents.

When the toddler’s mother returned from work, the girl was still crying and in obvious pain. And when the mother changed her diaper, she, too, noted that the area was very red.

By 11 p.m., when the toddler’s mother once again changed her diaper, the redness had become alarming. “Her genital and anal area was bleeding, and her skin was peeling off,’’ according to prosecutors.

The next morning, after her condition had worsened, the toddler’s mother took her to a Somerville pediatrician who referred her to Children’s Hospital and notified the Department of Social Services (now the Department of Families and Children), along with Melrose police. The toddler ultimately spent a month at Shriners Hospital for Children in Boston recovering from burns.

Three weeks after the rape, on Nov. 7, Winfield gave his interview to Melrose detectives, saying he was alone with the toddler for about an hour on the day of the crime. He also said, “I would have never, ever, ever, ever wanted to take on another child,’’ a statement that was later used by prosecutors at trial to show that Winfield’s commitment to care for his niece was an intolerable burden and, therefore, a motivation to harm her.

The following January, after neither Melrose police nor Coakley’s office had taken any public action against Winfield, Frisoli wrote to an assistant district attorney saying that he and the toddler’s mother planned to pursue charges on their own.

“I believe I already have enough evidence for the issuance of a complaint,’’ Frisoli wrote, “and do not intend to allow them to go unprosecuted.’’

In response, Coakley’s office contacted Frisoli and assured him that the case would go before a grand jury. Yet, months later, after presenting testimony, Coakley’s office decided that “additional time was needed to determine the legal sufficiency of the evidence’’ and did not ask the grand jury to take action.

By that time, Frisoli had announced his plans to run against Coakley for attorney general. On July 10, he followed through with his promise to have the toddler’s mother file applications for criminal complaints against Winfield and his wife. A magistrate’s hearing was set for Aug. 1.

“To me, it was a ploy and a political stunt to promote his own race for attorney general,’’ Coakley said in the interview. Coakley also said she believed Frisoli was “trying to have his cake and eat it, too,’’ by accusing her of foot-dragging while knowing that if indictments were issued, he could claim credit for prompting her to take action.

Coakley’s office presented the case to another grand jury, offering previously submitted testimony along with new evidence that included telephone records and information about Winfield’s employment history.

In late July, that grand jury issued the two rape and two assault and battery indictments against Winfield and, on Aug. 1, the day the hearing on the applications for criminal complaints was to have taken place, Winfield was arraigned and released on personal recognizance.

Coakley said that her office did not ask for a dangerousness hearing - a proceeding in which prosecutors may request pretrial incarceration by arguing that the accused presents a danger to the community - because Winfield did not show any sign of being a repeat offender or sexual predator. It would take another 15 months and a new district attorney, Gerard T. Leone Jr., before Winfield was convicted and sentenced to prison. Winfield appeared voluntarily for trial, generally meeting the terms of his release.

Recently, the question of bail in child rape cases made local headlines when a Kingston man was accused of raping a 3-year-old girl while free on $10,000 cash bail, which was imposed after an earlier charge of breaking and entering and raping a 5-year-old girl. Prosecutors had recommended $200,000 cash bail after the first alleged rape, but a judge would not agree to it.

Following the Kingston incidents, state Representative Karyn E. Polito, a Shrewsbury Republican, filed legislation that would require require prosecutors to request a dangerousness hearing in all child rape cases.

“What happened to this little girl is horrendous,’’ said Polito, referring to Winfield’s niece.

Im pretty sure Obama is non-religious, but of course he couldn't say that or else America would flip out :doh: !

I'm pretty sure Obama couldn't tell us a lot of things during the campaign.

Virginia, New Jersey and Massachusetts show what America thinks of the policies and agenda of the "real" Obama.

The Democrats aren't making Medicare cuts to curb waste and fraud or to extend the time before the program goes bankrupt. They are making the cuts to pay for a whole new entitlement.

Your construct is meaningless. They're not doing it TO only curb waste, but cutting useless programs like Medicare Advantage and reducing Medicare's rate of growth IS the mechanism for how they'll pay for the insurance subsidies, and if they do it right Medicare's quality of care will actually improve. Anyway, someone will eventually have to do exactly what Scott Brown is condemning, even a conservative/libertarian with a different ultimate aim like eventually weaning seniors off of a single-payer system, or just paying down the debt or whatever. As long as he tells voters that Even Considering cutting Medicare is a reason to throw out the opposition, Brown's maliciously trying to halt meaningful progress in America.

Again, it's ok to say "I agree that there should be cuts, but they need to be better targeted at X and Y rather then W and Z" or "I agree that there should be cuts, but we need to pocket all the savings and return it to the American people". But he sounds like a Bush Republican. It's bad to borrow trillions of dollars- so I'm proposing tax cuts! Wooo!

Ah, Massachusetts politics... What a complicated beast you are.

Massachusetts has always been an odd duck,
yes it is perceived to be a liberal state, the registration and elected officials skew heavily towards the Democrats

but scratch the surface a little, and racism and sexism are doing just fine

As long as he tells voters that Even Considering cutting Medicare is a reason to throw out the opposition, Brown's maliciously trying to halt meaningful progress in America.

He's a malicious guy, trying to steal Teddy's seat and all :angry:

But look on the bright side, if Brown somehow wins maybe he could be bribed like that gaggle of Dem senators or bribed like big labor was just a few days ago. It's meaningful progress.

He's a malicious guy, trying to steal Teddy's seat and all :angry:

But look on the bright side, if Brown somehow wins maybe he could be bribed like that gaggle of Dem senators or bribed like big labor was just a few days ago. It's meaningful progress.

Wasn't there some Kennedy Senate carpetbagging way back in the 60s? :hmm: If you just sit there long enough you become an institution!

That kind of was what I was expecting based on his weird straddle of "I support MA health care but not federal because we're not getting enough here". Like, does he want a Nebraska handout or is this just a bizarre way of staying liberal enough to be elected?

It's meaningful progress.

do the Republicans have any -- any -- sort of plan for actually governing the country? or do they simply exist to whip up populist anger -- created, as we know, by Bush policies of war and debt -- and aim it at whatever target they so choose?

if the GOP had anything constructive to offer, or appeared to be even remotely interested in actually governing the country, i'd almost take joy in the Democrats losing because it appears as of Coakley is god-awful. but the Republicans seem interested in only tearing down the ability of government to do anything beyond blow up Arabs, torture people in Gitmo to death, and lower taxes.

there appears to be only one adult in DC who wishes to actually do his job and govern, thankfully he's the president.

there appears to be only one adult in DC who wishes to actually do his job and govern, thankfully he's the president.

You really don't get it.

If President Obama had even remotely governed the past year as the moderate, bi-partisan, reformer-of-the-politics-of-old president he campaigned to be there would be no such thing as the Tea Party movement.

You really don't get it.

If President Obama had even remotely governed the past year as the moderate, bi-partisan, reformer-of-the-politics-of-old president he campaigned to be there would be no such thing as the Tea Party movement.

You expect a moderate, bipartison, reformer-of-the-politics-of-old president to appeal to the minority of far right cranks in the Tea Party movement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom