Global Warming Revisited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it time to revisit the claims of global warming / climate change?

I think it's time.

President Obama called skeptics (like me) of global climate change as those of believe in a flat earth.

The following is just one of several reports I have seen online. I have seen nothing in the mainstream media reporting on these current studies.

What do you think?

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/no_warming_for_19_years

I am always keen to debate this important topic as long as it’s in an honest spirit. Your link didn’t work for me, but I have seen several sources site the “no warming for 19 years” line.

It can be explained quite simply and it’s a misreading of medium term El Niño La Niña cycles.

Take a look at the surface temperature chart referenced here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38513740

You’ll notice that if you take the first peak, in 1999, and compare it with 2016, temperatures were similar, so “no warming” ...but as the chart shows, that’s misleading because 1999 was the top of that warming cycle, whereas 2017 is in the middle of this warming cycle. For a legitimate comparison, compare peak to peak and trough to trough. So 1999 is comparable to the most recent peak in 2018 where it is 2c warmer than it was in 1999.

I am always keen to debate this important topic as long as it’s in an honest spirit. .

Well good luck with that. These folks have Oded on Dredge Report garbage and Faux News denial for too long.

Look, adaptation of some animals and plants to climate change has already been observed. Not to mention the effects of ocean acidification on aquatic life.

Anyone who does not acknowledge the reality and effects of global warming at this point is in willful denial or has simply not been paying attention.

Or paying attention to the wrong sources.

The current issue of Scientific American has an article on coastal areas in New Jersey where residents are being bought out and moved all because of rising sea levels.

Miami is already feeling the impact and it will only get worse. When you see the rich and famous quietly selling off their property so that their children will not be underwater in 50 years you know the time is nigh.

At this point mental illness is the only real explanation as to why anyone would deny global warming.

Excerpt from the NYT:

Ken Caldeira, a climate scientist at the Carnegie Institution for Science in Stanford, Calif., has a habit of asking new graduate students to name the largest fundamental breakthrough in climate physics since 1979. It’s a trick question. There has been no breakthrough. As with any mature scientific discipline, there is only refinement. The computer models grow more precise; the regional analyses sharpen; estimates solidify into observational data. Where there have been inaccuracies, they have tended to be in the direction of understatement. Caldeira and a colleague recently published a paper in Nature finding that the world is warming more quickly than most climate models predict. The toughest emissions reductions now being proposed, even by the most committed nations, will probably fail to achieve “any given global temperature stabilization target.”

More carbon has been released into the atmosphere since the final day of the Noordwijk conference, Nov. 7, 1989, than in the entire history of civilization preceding it. In 1990, humankind burned more than 20 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide. By 2017, the figure had risen to 32.5 billion metric tons, a record. Despite every action taken since the Charney report — the billions of dollars invested in research, the nonbinding treaties, the investments in renewable energy — the only number that counts, the total quantity of global greenhouse gas emitted per year, has continued its inexorable rise.

Like the scientific story, the political story hasn’t changed greatly, except in its particulars. Even some of the nations that pushed hardest for climate policy have failed to honor their own commitments. When it comes to our own nation, which has failed to make any binding commitments whatsoever, the dominant narrative for the last quarter century has concerned the efforts of the fossil-fuel industries to suppress science, confuse public knowledge and bribe politicians.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/01/magazine/climate-change-losing-earth.html#epilogue

Back
Top Bottom