Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2015, 03:21 AM   #196
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
Well the scientific debate is settled, but the political one is still raging.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Oh I know. I meant there was no "other side," from the business perspective, competing with the oil companies. There is no "climate change industry."

Old 07-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #197
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I listened to a two hour interview with Patrick Moore.
All of this "climate change" propaganda is all about money and power.

His website:Home

From his site:

Patrick Moore on how to stop worrying and love Mother Earth - Part 1

Dr. Moore: No. I do not believe alarmism and fear are the correct responses even if our emissions are causing some warming. In particular I do not believe it makes sense to adopt policies that would obviously cause more harm that the supposed "catastrophe" that might be caused by warming. The proposal to end fossil fuel use in a short time frame with no alternative is a classic example. Many of the so-called "cures" for climate change would cause more damage to the patient that the so-called "disease".

The climate has been considerably warmer throughout the history of modern life (550 million years) for most of the time than it is today. These were the Greenhouse Ages, often lasting 100 million years or more, when all the land was either tropical or subtropical. Not that many millions of years ago Canada's Arctic islands were covered in sub-tropical forests. There was no ice at either pole. The sea was considerably higher. Life flourished through these times. They will say that humans are not adapted to such a warm climate, ignoring the fact that humans are a tropical species, and would not be able to live where there is frost without fire, clothing, and shelter.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #198
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
All of this "climate change" propaganda is all about money and power.

And the "climate change is a myth" propaganda isn't? Deny the truth and vote Trump 2016

Old 07-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #199
Refugee

Local Time: 05:48 AM
For those who want to know the science better, there is no better literature review than the IPCC Assessment Report 5. Every few years, the UN has asked the field to put together a report of the current science and state of climate change. This is the latest one.

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/

If you have questions about the more technical parts, feel free to ask. I'm familiar with most of the general concepts, but still have a lot to learn when comes to some areas i.e. geology/atmosphere coupling to name one. I find the whole climate change science a bit boring because it mainly analyzes large spatial and temporal scales, while I'm more interested in the nitty gritty of cloud microphysics.

I would definitely take a read. Many scientists put aside their research for a few years to consolidate these reports, and since many fund themselves through public sector grants, it's not like they're compensated a whole lot for the kind of work they do in the first place.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #200
Refugee

Local Time: 05:48 AM
Quote:
All of this "climate change" propaganda is all about money and power
That's news to me. I just took a class with one of the leading climate scientists in the nation (he shares the Nobel Peace Prize with co-authors of AR4). He lives in a little Midwest town in a small little home and drives a Toyota. His office has one window in a small two-story building that was supposed to be constructed for temporary use, but instead has been used as the home of a leading center of atmospheric scientists since 1987.

Now if you wanna see an office, you have to go walk across the street to the engineering mall. Now that will make you think money and power.

Quote:
Dr. Moore: No. I do not believe alarmism and fear are the correct responses even if our emissions are causing some warming.
No, it's not obviously. And no scientist is saying you should be scared, but rather we ask "What do you need to know about climate change?"

Quote:
Many of the so-called "cures" for climate change would cause more damage to the patient that the so-called "disease".
Like?

Quote:
The climate has been considerably warmer throughout the history of modern life (550 million years) for most of the time than it is today. These were the Greenhouse Ages, often lasting 100 million years or more, when all the land was either tropical or subtropical. Not that many millions of years ago Canada's Arctic islands were covered in sub-tropical forests. There was no ice at either pole. The sea was considerably higher. Life flourished through these times. They will say that humans are not adapted to such a warm climate, ignoring the fact that humans are a tropical species, and would not be able to live where there is frost without fire, clothing, and shelter.
Who's saying the human species would go extinct? It will certainly have serious challenges, such as feeding the world, substituting non-renewable energies for renewable, relocating massive populations from rising sea levels, and working around changing zones of precipitation and drought.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #201
Refugee

Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:

Not gonna go into the rest of the argument which is stupid, but this part is probably the most stupid part. All those other natural climate changes occurred over a period of 10s or 100s of millions of years which allowed animals and plants time to adapt to the new conditions. The climate change we're experiencing has occurred over the past 140 years since the Industrial Revolution. This means that animals don't have time to adapt to the conditions and thus go extinct, greatly harming biodiversity and the rest of the ecosystem.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #202
Blue Crack Addict

It's cool how this guy says it's no big deal if all our cities are underwater and we don't have the land to support the population, mass extinction of species, death and destruction, etc. Rebuilding human society from scratch? Ehh, whatever, at least a few of us will still be alive, nothing to concern ourselves with at all.

Idiot.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #203
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Okay, I get it.
It seems most here are sold on climate change.

If you would, at least like to read more about those who remain skeptics, why not visit Patrick Moore's homepage? Reading is fun.

From his homepage:

"Dr. Patrick Moore has been a leader in the international environmental field for over 30 years. He is a founding member of Greenpeace and served for nine years as President of Greenpeace Canada and seven years as a Director of Greenpeace International. As the leader of many campaigns Dr. Moore was a driving force shaping policy and direction while Greenpeace became the world's largest environmental activist organization."
Old 07-16-2015, 11:38 PM   #204
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Okay, I get it.

If you would, at least like to read more about those who remain skeptics, why not visit Patrick Moore's homepage? Reading is fun.

From his homepage:

"Dr. Patrick Moore has been a leader in the international environmental field for over 30 years. He is a founding member of Greenpeace and served for nine years as President of Greenpeace Canada and seven years as a Director of Greenpeace International. As the leader of many campaigns Dr. Moore was a driving force shaping policy and direction while Greenpeace became the world's largest environmental activist organization."
I'm with you. Just gotta be in the right mood to do battle in here.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:43 PM   #205
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:48 AM
Quote:
Okay, I get it.

From his homepage:

If he hasn't been crowned as worthy by the almighty Al Gore, then I don't care what he says.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:53 AM   #206
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Okay, I get it.

If you haven't noticed most of those "sold" have done the reading. They have shown they are more well-read on the subject than you over the years.

You happen to have stumbled upon ONE controversial lobbyist.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #207
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I don't know how effective the little "reading is fun" jab is when it's clear you're not interested in reading the evidence in favor of climate change.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #208
Refugee

Quote:
Okay, I get it.

From his homepage:

I'm gonna go with the consensus of 97% of climate scientists rather than one dude. Oh and NASA: http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals1 show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position."

Old 07-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #209
Refugee

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/20...patrick-moore/

Also, he's not a founding member of Greenpeace: "Patrick Moore frequently portrays himself as a founder or co-founder of Greenpeace, and many news outlets have repeated this characterization. Although Mr. Moore played a significant role in Greenpeace Canada for several years, he did not found Greenpeace. Phil Cotes, Irving Stowe, and Jim Bohlen founded Greenpeace in 1970. Patrick Moore applied for a berth on the Phyllis Cormack in March, 1971 after the organization had already been in existence for a year."

Also, he's a paid spokesman for the timber, mining, chemical and the aquaculture industries. He's a paid lobbyist, not an independent source.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #210
ONE
love, blood, life

I understand that not everyone is going to be a scientist, but I still want to repeat myself and say x percent of scientists doesn't mean a lot. Citing one means absolutely nothing on top of that.

The best way to make a point is to research and inform yourself. Hearsay isn't a defense. Defense by popular vote isn't a defense either. Just TRY to understand the science for yourself.