Glenn Beck: Right-Wing Extremist?? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Glenn Beck: Right-Wing Extremist??

After watching this video, I'm even more confused as to what huge issues all liberals seem to have with Glenn Beck. During the video, he spoke of his support of legal gay marriages, repeatedly attacks Bush, and says President Obama is far superior to a would be President McCain. So, I'm really curious now. What exactly are the main issues liberals cite for HATING him so?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I used to think he was okay back when he was on CNN. I remember him bitching about the spending of the Bush administration - which is something that warmed my heart back then. The problem with him is that he is super religious and can't see the foreign policy dynamics, specifically in the middle east, in any kind of rational or objective way.

Because of this same thing, he trends towards conspiratorial John Birch-like views.
That includes the economy...because it's all a conspiracy to him.
Written by John of Patmos.

I was in similar shoes, 20 years ago...when I was 17. A close friend of mine was working with a dude that introduced him to those kinds of conspiracy books that (for one example) claim MLK was a communist...additionally I personally know people that still believe Obama was born in Kenya (among other lovely morsels) long story short, I know all about Glenn Beck and his followers and that whole paranoid segment of the Right.

Glenn Beck plays to this crowd and confirms their erroneous beliefs- either because he's true wacko, or a cynical businessman like Limbaugh. The real reason liberals hate him - apart from naturally believing caricatures about certain conservative types - is more or less because of this, JMO. Rush Limbaugh might say some ridiculous things, but I don't know that's he's pretending there is some factual or historical justification for it - it's just his opinion. Glenn Beck would stand in front of a chalkboard, taking historical facts and twisting them into a paranoid conspiracy linking reality - into some kind of precursor to the Book of Revelation. And I think that scares people.

But I think the Left is full of irrational hate as well as the Right, there isn't anything unique to it. Some people are just assholes and don't want to understand...and there is a segment of the Left (Leftists, not all liberals) that doesn't feel the need to understand people like Beck. Especially when he calls their Saviour a "racist" and other such ignorant nuggets.

All in all, - if sincere - he's probably more misunderstood than anything.
If not sincere - he's just as deplorable as a lot of people think. FTR, I think he's a true believer, and his intellect is saddled by how reality conforms to his eschatology. He's not such a bad guy, really. This is why = the best that Jon Stewart and his otherwise brilliant writers could do - was just a mockery of him - without really attacking the meat of what he was saying. That sort of tells you it all. Beck was using a lot of facts. He was/is just correlating them in an ignorant way.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Glenn is a master manipulator, and works the audience he thinks he's speaking to. So of course he toned it down and twisted it for Katie.

He is not for gay marriage, just do a quick search on YouTube.

You really think that he thinks Obama is "far superior"? He voted for McCain, don't doubt that, but he's giving you a armchair quarterback version that he thinks you want to hear.

And of course he bashes Bush, they all do. Why? Because they all figured out that they would be hypocrites if they didn't. The question you should be asking yourself is why wasn't he doing this DURING Bush's presidency?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan

But I think the Left is full of irrational hate as well...and doesn't feel the need to understand people like Beck. Especially when he calls their Saviour a "racist" and other such ignorant nuggets.
"Saviour"? How cute
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:09 AM
you people are just being closed-minded

if you would read 4 or 5 of his books, you might change your mind.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Glenn Beck just wants to sell books.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 04:09 AM
In the Fox news vs other media debate, I believe that Fox News is the only real conservative news channel in a sea of liberal media, and thus stands out. All media in America is pretty biased which is why I tend to get my news elsewhere. As for Glenn Beck, I think he's a sell-out. He used to be a voice of reason and now he's a voice of propaganda. He says what his target audience wants to here and because he's been right in the past, people listen to him. Ultimately, any political talk show should not be considered an accurate source for whatever political theories you may have.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiph View Post
In the Fox news vs other media debate, I believe that Fox News is the only real conservative news channel in a sea of liberal media, and thus stands out. All media in America is pretty biased which is why I tend to get my news elsewhere.

really? could you give us some examples of the "liberal media"?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I more interested in when was he the "voice of reason" and how has he been "right" in the past?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
really? could you give us some examples of the "liberal media"?
CNN and MSNBC have spun many things in the past to be extremely liberal. I believe ABC is guilty of this as well. I am of the opinion that news shouldn't have a "spin" and should just display itself as is. Unfortunately that's really hard to find these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I more interested in when was he the "voice of reason" and how has he been "right" in the past?
Something about him predicting something and it actually happening (like the economy crashing).
Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
CNN and MSNBC have spun many things in the past to be extremely liberal. I believe ABC is guilty of this as well. I am of the opinion that news shouldn't have a "spin" and should just display itself as is. Unfortunately that's really hard to find these days.
I agree news shouldn't be spun in anyway, but I hope you realize that it's going to take a little more than this, like possibly some real examples.

Quote:
Something about him predicting something and it actually happening (like the economy crashing).
That's specific...
Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
MSNBC is left-leaning, I give you that. CNN, on the other hand, quite honestly, I don't know what their deal is anymore. They seem to be turning into a tabloid/"let's ask Twitter followers what stories we should cover!" network more than anything else.

As for Glenn Beck...I don't know at all what his past pre-Fox News was like, so maybe at one time he was something along the lines of sane. Whenever I saw him on Fox, he just came off like a raving lunatic who made absolutely no sense of any sort. If that's how he really is, I think the guy needs help. If that's not how he is, and he's just acting that way because he knows that gets a certain part of the viewership riled up...that's just scary.

And by the way, Obama's not even close to being my "Saviour". The only time anyone would get that sort of a title from me is if they actually, you know, literally saved my life.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
MSNBC is left-leaning, I give you that. CNN, on the other hand, quite honestly, I don't know what their deal is anymore. They seem to be turning into a tabloid/"let's ask Twitter followers what stories we should cover!" network more than anything else.
I haven't kept up to date with them in recent years except during major events. I remember turning on CNN and just thinking "What?". I agree with the tabloid description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
That's specific...
Yeah, I'm not defending him.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not defending him.
I guess I'm confused then, I thought you were trying to say that he was the voice of reason at one time.

I thought you were talking about some specific events that you knew of where he was correct and that's why he has an audience.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Glenn Beck on Fox was bordering on insane. The chalkboard conspiracy theories were just ridiculous.

I remember watching, via Countdown, his rant about the Rockefeller building and how it was Communist propaganda.

Tags
glenn beck, right wing