Glenn Beck Has A Dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello?... I feel like I deserve an apology.

I asked you that question so that you would know that I obviously wasn't referring to you.

Of course I was referring to INDY. Maybe it wasn't obvious enough, I thought all the context clues were right there? I'm not sure how I could have been more obvious. You never said that about Beck, I can't remember you touting Reagan... so I'm perplexed as to why this reaction. :huh:

Maybe it's too early on a Monday morning :shrug:

I apologize if you misunderstood me.

Well, for one, you might have mentioned Indy before using the word "this poster." Otherwise, it seemed there was only one person you were referring to, since you only quoted me.

But in any case, I'm sorry for the rant and misunderstanding your 2nd reply on the last page.

So Shirley, I accept your apology and I apologize as well. :wink:

Glenn Beck Colored | Glenn Beck African American | Video | Mediaite

On his radio show today, Glenn Beck tackled a particularly sticky issue when it comes to race. How does it make any sort of sense, he wanted to know, to refer to all black persons as “African American,” particularly when so many black individuals don’t live in the U.S.?

Beck notes that, in South Africa, recognized races and ethnicities include black and “colored” (Wikipedia explains the term thusly: “In the South African, Namibian, Zambian, Botswana and Zimbabwean context, the term Coloured (also known as Bruinmense, Kleurlinge or Bruin Afrikaners in Afrikaans) refers to an ethnic group of mixed race people who often possess some sub-Saharan African ancestry but not enough to be considered Black, either by themselves or by others.”)

So is the term “colored,” Beck and co. wondered, really such a “bad thing” as we’re lead to believe? “Only here,” he lamented, referring to the U.S. “Why are we made to feel bad?” He has a theory:

“African American” was not made to do anything except try to create a super man. “Oh don’t you dare feel bad about yourself! You’re African American!” No. You’re an American. Instead of building the country up and saying, “Lookit. We all have the right, here in this country… Look at what happened with Martin Luther King. That makes you an American. ‘Judge not by the color of your skin.’” And you weren’t over in Africa! Your great-great-great grandfather was, your great-great-great-great grandfather may have been, but you weren’t!

And sure this country sucked for blacks. Sucked. Beyond sucked, for a long time. But it doesn’t now. It doesn’t now. Be proud to be an American."

He added that all the PC labels we have for another end up making Americans afraid to speak with one another, because Americans don’t inherently want to offend one another. We want to say the “right” thing and take the kindest course of action, but we’re impeded by our fear of offending one another. His advice? Have no fear and “dismiss these human rights frauds.”

doesn't everyone know that slavery was God's/The Founding Father's (praise be upon them) plan?

sure, it "sucked," but at least those Africans were brought to where Jesus lives (the American South) and given the gift of eternal life and the ability to become rappers and basketball players while those who remained in Africa remained set in their animalistic, pagan ways and continue to suffer from not having the advantages of a Judeo-Christian society. if anything, it's they who should be paying reparations to us.

i mean, really, all-in-all, kind of a good thing, right guys? ignoring the 300m or so who died over the course of the slave trade and the colonialization of Africa that lead to the rise of murderous dictators like Mobutu and Mugabe?

African's got saved, y'all. and, better, they got to become Americans.

And there's plenty of Americans who agree with Beck. Didn't Pat Buchanan say something similar?

Beck has tried several times to come off as post racial and every time in doing so is very much racial and completely ignorant of this irony.

You don't tell a group that a situation "doesn't suck" for them anymore. If you have to try and convince them then something is obviously wrong.

Why spend so much energy trying to justify or defend the use of "colored"? First of all what color are they? White people come in all shades, we don't try and justify some other term. In using the term "colored" you're basically saying that white is the norm and that black people or brown people are a variation of the norm.

I would think that no one would want to ever use or defend that term, considering it all goes back to the separate "colored" fountains and separate everything. Every time I see that it still makes me cringe and I can't believe things were that way in our history.

I suppose the rant he intended to make was against identity politics, which is a standard enough conservative complaint, but as usual what comes out is a weirdly disjointed mishmash of only vaguely related issues. Not that his ideas aren't often problematic through to offensive in their own right, but it's the extreme ADHD disjointedness that really stumps me when trying to understand his appeal. There are far more cogent critics of 'the Left' out there than this. You can't really even formulate a proper critical response to his rants, as opposed to pointing out specific factual errors or offensive statements, because they're simply too careening and unstructured to offer a way in.

Whataknow, Glenn Beck and his fledgling 24 hour cable news network are now on the television... if you have Dish Network. Which I do. Channel 212.

He left Fox to start GBTV.

He built that.

Whataknow, Glenn Beck and his fledgling 24 hour cable news network are now on the television... if you have Dish Network. Which I do. Channel 212.

He left Fox to start GBTV.

He built that.

I'm sure it will fledge beautifully.

I'm so glad I don't have Dish Network. It would just be creepy by osmosis.

I hope he has someone to open his sodas for him on that show.

It's like Katie, only a whole lot crazier

Diemen said:
You mean he's doing without any corporate sponsors? And he's broadcasting it himself, using his own satellites?

Well, that certainly is impressive!

Glenn Beck only drives on roads he paved himself.

I'm so glad I don't have Dish Network. It would just be creepy by osmosis.

I hope he has someone to open his sodas for him on that show.

It's like Katie, only a whole lot crazier

Hey, now, let's not insult Katie that way :p.

I don't have Dish Network, either, so I too will miss out on seeing this channel.

Oh, darn. *Snaps fingers*

The "epitome of true journalism" is now an artist as well:

Glenn Beck makes mock-'Piss Christ' with Obama figurine | PopWatch | EW.com

PissObama1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom