Glenn Beck Has A Dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's this scary rumor going around that Palin will announce her candidacy for President. Shudder.

*Mutters to self* Please, dear God, no, please, dear God, no...

I'm absolutely disgusted at how political this anniversary is turning out to be. And they have the gall to suggest others are being insensitive about 9/11.

:up: Thank you. How 'bout we all just leave political BS out of the event and simply use the day to honor the memory of all those lost? WHY is that so hard for some people to do?

I remember, right after 9/11, how helpful and generous people were, how they didn't let their petty differences get between them, all they cared about was looking after each other. What the hell happened to that? I saw that "Daily Show" bit, that was awesome. Glenn's a moron.

Also, PhilsFan and cori-I love you both :applaud: :hug:. Excellent posts.

Angela

I remember, right after 9/11, how helpful and generous people were, how they didn't let their petty differences get between them, all they cared about was looking after each other. What the hell happened to that?

I remember that too, and that's what I was thinking about Saturday. Was that real? I thought it was at the time.

I also remember how ugly it started to get when they started talking about the money settlements---how some of the widows started arguing that "I should get more taxpayer money because my spouse was an investment banker and her spouse was only a restaurant worker" or how the Pakistani veternarian around here who has done so much pro bono work for street animals and impossibly injured animals got death threats. I think there were a lot of people who genuinely responded with cooperation and generosity, but a lot of it was ugly, even then.

BonosSaint, I hadn't heard those stories. That's not surprising, but honestly, they were battling over payment based on whose job was more "worthy" or "decent"? How disgusting can some people be?

I really don't understand why people think that way. I truly don't.

I remember that too, and that's what I was thinking about Saturday. Was that real? I thought it was at the time.

So did I. Maybe it was just a dream after all :sigh:.

Nice Onion piece there, Diemen. While I'm inclined to say that Glenn Beck or no Glenn Beck, we'd still have stupid people doing and saying horrific things, and that if you do something because Glenn told you to, you're a complete moron and it's your fault alone that you're a moron, at the same time, I fully agree, he's certainly not helping matters at all.

I'm just at a complete loss to understand how the hell the Democrats are losing to this mindset, but then there's this statement:

According to scholars, pink-faced half-wits have had remarkable staying power throughout history despite their outlandish, easily debunked claims, shameless self-promotion, and complete lack of credentials.

Sad but true. Again I say, I don't get it. Why is being smart and knowledgeable and decent such a bad thing?

Angela

Nice Onion piece there, Diemen. While I'm inclined to say that Glenn Beck or no Glenn Beck, we'd still have stupid people doing and saying horrific things, and that if you do something because Glenn told you to, you're a complete moron and it's your fault alone that you're a moron, at the same time, I fully agree, he's certainly not helping matters at all.

So my grandmother is a moron?

Well, no offense, but if we're calling someone a moron, they're someone's mother, father, grandmother, etc.

And to be fair, I love my family, but many of them believe people like Beck and take their word as gospel. In this regard, yes, they're morons.

I don't know her, so I can't actively say, but if she has actively done or said something cruel to somebody else as a result of listening to him, I can't see where that'd be a positive thing.

Mind you, I have family I love dearly who believe this stuff or have believed other things similiar to this, too, and I think some of their actions and words are moronic as well. I had a grandmother who, when my dad was a teenager and brought home a friend from school once who was black, went around and shut all the curtains in her house lest anyone see this black person in her home. My dad's friend got really bothered by that (as did my dad-he laid into his mom pretty hard for that) and the friend left. That was a moronic thing for my grandmother to do. My other grandmother, whom I loved dearly and whose house I went to all the time as a child, used to say (this was before I was born, if she did say anything like that after I was born I must've missed it), that certain women were "pretty for black girls". Again, a moronic thing to say. I have a cousin that despises Obama and would gladly listen to the Palins and the Becks of the world, I have an aunt that freely supports the immigration bill in Arizona because she's brought into all the scare tactic stuff the conservative media and politicians have said about it. So when I say that, I'm referring to my family, too, family that I otherwise love and always enjoy being around when I get the chance.

You can love people dearly and still call them out when they buy into misinformation, and especially if they act on said misinformation. Perhaps my wording was admittedly harsh, but I honestly don't know what else to call people who think Glenn Beck makes sense and is worth following. I don't get how otherwise good-hearted people can agree with what he says and does.

Angela

BonosSaint, I hadn't heard those stories. That's not surprising, but honestly, they were battling over payment based on whose job was more "worthy" or "decent"? How disgusting can some people be?

I really don't understand why people think that way. I truly don't.

Angela

And I'm pretty sure that's how the compensation eventually ended up being paid out...the stockbroker's life was given much more value than the janitor's, than the firefighter's. And so America goes.

Its funny how Glenn Beck complains about the progressives and liberals telling America what to do yet he tells his followers what to do. Go figure.

I am a regular subscriber to his 24/7 website
and he provides a list of replies to accusations like that.

I think no 5 works best here:

5. Nice try, but we are capable of thinking for ourselves, just as the Founding Fathers intended.

5. Nice try, but we are capable of thinking for ourselves, just as the Founding Fathers intended.

If so, why is Beck telling them what to do? Does he think Americans have lost their ability to think for themselves and he's their savior?

Well, no offense, but if we're calling someone a moron, they're someone's mother, father, grandmother, etc.

And to be fair, I love my family, but many of them believe people like Beck and take their word as gospel. In this regard, yes, they're morons.

I too have family that listen to every word he says and treat it like it's gospel. They are morons whom I love dearly.

Of course they are capable, but do they? Case in point, my mom. She listens to Rush and gets all of her news from Faux News. This usually leads to her freaking out over some thing she thinks the Democrats are planning to do. Does she bother to research? No, she believes what they are saying. She's not dumb, but in this case she is very easily manipulated by the slant of that coverage.

Thankfully she has me to research stuff for her.

I love that he provides a list of answers for his followers to use when they are accused of simply parroting him. :lol:

Some of the greatest people I know are buying what Beck and Co. are selling.

It makes me sad.

In general I just avoid discussing politics with them.

But I get it. . .human beings are not always entirely rational and Beck has tapped into some very deep-seated fears and anxieties in this country. What is really ugly is that he is milking that unease and anxiety for all he can.

I think you hit it, Sean. The anxiety is real. Sometimes for irrational reasons, but for some rational reasons--fear for the economy, anxiety about unemployment, fear that there is not enough to go around this time. And it is a shame how the opportunists will prey on that. Somebody like Beck makes them feel they have some control when they feel they have lost it all. People are hurting. They are looking in the wrong direction, but they are being offered a direction. The Democrats, the left, will have to address the fear and the hurting and not dismiss it out of hand.

I love that he provides a list of answers for his followers to use when they are accused of simply parroting him. :lol:

I made that all up for a laugh
how perfect was it?

The (supposed) answer he gave his listeners to use was,

"Nice try, we are capable of thinking for ourselves, just like the Founding Fathers intended."

Some of the greatest people I know are buying what Beck and Co. are selling.

It makes me sad.

In general I just avoid discussing politics with them.

But I get it. . .human beings are not always entirely rational and Beck has tapped into some very deep-seated fears and anxieties in this country. What is really ugly is that he is milking that unease and anxiety for all he can.

different people see different things in the tea party movement

I don't think the people you speak of are the whacko- bigots that so many posting in here seem to want to broad brush paint as 'tea baggers'.

and there is this

Bill Clinton: Listen to the tea party - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

I still believe he is one Democrat that has the ability to relate to what some might call 'average' blue collar workers.

glennbeckjoker3.png

Glenn Beck said he thinks ten percent of all Muslims are terrorists.

As ThinkProgress pointed out, Beck's estimate would mean that roughly 157 million Muslims in the world are terrorists.

Speaking on his radio show Monday, Beck decried the relative lack of coverage that the news media is giving to the figures he discusses day after day on his radio and television shows.

"We have revolutionaries here in America speaking -- American citizens speaking -- about an open violent revolution and no one will cover it!" Beck said. "Would they cover it if you had tape of al Qaeda saying they're going to get out in the streets, they want violence? Of course you would!"

Beck surmised that the media don't think that the threats he describes are sufficient enough to cover seriously. However, he said, they should look at the havoc a relatively small number of "Islamic terrorists" had caused:

"What is the number of Islamic terrorists? One percent? I think it's closer to ten percent but the rest of the PC world will tell you, 'oh no, it's minuscule.' OK, well, let's take you at your one percent. Look at the havoc one percent of Muslims causing in the rest of the world. You don't think one percent, half a percent here in the United States of radicals, of people who want to violently overthrow the government, is a problem?"

UPDATE: As The Huffington Post's Sebastian Howard pointed out on Twitter, Beck's figure of ten percent is hardly new. In fact, Beck used the same statistic in his 2003 book, "The Real America." In it, Beck says that he has concluded, after "reading and prayer," that, while ninety percent of Islam is peaceful, "ten percent wants to see us dead." The remaining ten percent, he writes, is "composed of extreme radicals who have taken Islam through a time tunnel and twisted it into something ugly and barbaric."

Glenn Beck said he thinks.

(Sorry, I know it's a cheap shot, but I read it and laughed and...yeah :p)

"We have revolutionaries here in America speaking -- American citizens speaking -- about an open violent revolution and no one will cover it!" Beck said. "Would they cover it if you had tape of al Qaeda saying they're going to get out in the streets, they want violence? Of course you would!"

This confuses me. I'm not sure if I'm reading his wording wrong or what here, but it sounds like he's mad that nobody's covering Americans talking about a violent revolution (which, if that's what he's saying, he must be new or something, 'cause I've heard quite a few stories about it in various news outlets), but then he says they WOULD cover any threats by al Qaeda (as well they should), and yet he's making it sound like the media doesn't consider the latter group's threats viable enough and I'm not getting it. Are my eyes just failing me tonight?

Personally, I think any terrorist group, domestic or foreign, is terrifying and we should definitely make note of the fact they exist and do everything in our power to stop them. Their ethnic background really matters not one whit to me. It's what they're saying and doing that matters.

Angela

His book, as well as Sarah's and Bush's, are all towards the top on our "bestsellers" shelf at work. I get to see their faces quite frequently :(. Talk about an unholy trio.

(Interestingly, though, his and Bush's books are both next to a book entitled "Assholes Finish First", which gave me a good cackle the other evening)

Angela

can only take about 2 minutes of Glenn Beck on a good day

which is about one minute more than i can take of rachel maddow

some of you get so ingrained with your political bias, step back from your narrow minded ideals once in a while

in american politics both sides suck

liberals suck

conservatives suck

all is see here is another group of self serving, self righteous dingleberries wrapped up in life like their own shit doesn't stink

try simply being human beings from now on and the rest will find its way

can only take about 2 minutes of Glenn Beck on a good day

which is about one minute more than i can take of rachel maddow

some of you get so ingrained with your political bias, step back from your narrow minded ideals once in a while

in american politics both sides suck

liberals suck

conservatives suck

all is see here is another group of self serving, self righteous dingleberries wrapped up in life like their own shit doesn't stink

try simply being human beings from now on and the rest will find its way

You waited 6 years to make your first post, and your first post in here was:

meh

politics on message boards

F politics

can't we all just get along?

Yet you've been talking/ judging politics ever since then, and not one post has been made trying to get along with people. You've even taken it outside of FYM and trolled in I/O.

Maybe it's time for you to step back and start taking your own advice.

Back
Top Bottom