Glenn Beck Has A Dream - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #106
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
What race is Nelson Mandela?
I know your almost void of empathy, but just imagine if the only reason your race was on a certain continent was because they were forced and brought over as property you would probably want a way to identify yourself differently from those with the same color of skin that didn't have to live with that history.

I don't think Mandela will be answering the US census.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I know your almost void of empathy, but just imagine if the only reason your race was on a certain continent was because they were forced and brought over as property you would probably want a way to identify yourself differently from those with the same color of skin that didn't have to live with that history.

I don't think Mandela will be answering the US census.
I believe England had African residents brought by force to their country. So what race is Seal.

__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #108
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
I believe England had African residents brought by force to their country. So what race is Seal.

He calls himself Nigerian-Brazilian.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Ethnicity signifies shared cultural, linguistic, or religious traits

Race signifies shared biological (genetic or phenotypic) traits

So what race is Seal?
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #110
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Why don't you give him a census form and find out?

What race are you?

How many races in the world would you say there are? How many races are there perceived?
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 05:35 AM
If black people in America would just call themselves Americans and put that on all forms and applications there would be no documentation for all those phony, bullshit claims of discrimination.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Why don't you give him a census form and find out?
Is there something wrong with black?
Quote:
What race are you?
Gee, always thought I was white but I guess I'm an Indianian-American.
Quote:
How many races in the world would you say there are?
Lets, see. There's the Indy 500, Daytona 500, 24 Hours of Le Mans, The U.S. Nationals, the Grand Prix of Brazil, Japanese Grand Prix, Grand Prix of... Well, thousands I imagine.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Is there something wrong with black?
In Canada that is the most common term used. Probably because large parts of our black community hails from the Caribbean and many of those would take offence at being classified as African anything. Every one of my black friends and co-workers identifies as black.

That said, what's it to you? You're free to call yourself white and others can call themselves as they wish. Why it should bother you is beyond me.
__________________
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #114
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Is there something wrong with black?
I don't know you tell me. Is he black because of his skin color, or because both his parents were, or grandparents? Isn't his mother "brown"?


Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Gee, always thought I was white but I guess I'm an Indianian-American.
Nice try but not equatable.

Race is something that is often defined by culture, time, and not exactly scientific.

But if we want to stick to previous definitions there are:

Caucasoid race
Congoid race
Capoid race
Mongoloid race
Australoid race

Probably not exactly the way you would make a census form, eh?
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
In Canada that is the most common term used. Probably because large parts of our black community hails from the Caribbean and many of those would take offence at being classified as African anything. Every one of my black friends and co-workers identifies as black.

That said, what's it to you? You're free to call yourself white and others can call themselves as they wish. Why it should bother you is beyond me.
It bother me that Glenn Beck is called a f@#king moron for saying, "African-American is a bogus, PC, made-up term. I mean, that’s not a race."

It bothers me that some Americans are so PC they don't know what to call a black man or woman from another country.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 08:35 AM
Well maybe you should consider the source. And maybe if Glenn Beck didn't have a history of questionable comments and maybe if he realized that you attract more flies with honey than with vinegar, you wouldn't have this reaction from some people.

He has, through his own actions and his own words and the aggressive, militant tone in which he delivers them, sealed his own fate.
__________________
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #117
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
It bother me that Glenn Beck is called a f@#king moron for saying, "African-American is a bogus, PC, made-up term. I mean, that’s not a race."

It bothers me that some Americans are so PC they don't know what to call a black man or woman from another country.
You missed the point yet again. Beck's a moron not because he said they didn't refer to themselves as black, but that they didn't refer to themselves as just "Americans". He wasn't talking about race. Maybe one should read the article.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #118
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Has there ever been a productive result to the back and forth bickering between you two, BVS?
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #119
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Why are you just asking me?
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #120
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 07:35 AM
The question is to both of you. Though you do seem to get the most up in arms about the other's responses.
__________________

__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I had a Dream Justin24 Dream Out Loud (and in Colour!) 8 04-13-2006 06:44 PM
I had the strangest, most uncomforting dream Danospano Zoo Confessionals 12 03-01-2004 09:24 AM
What did you dream last night? Idaho Lemonade Stand Archive 46 09-22-2003 06:52 PM
Dream killer scatteroflight Dream Out Loud (and in Colour!) 7 08-14-2001 01:06 PM
When the Night Arrives (David Dream 1) UpwiththeSun Dream Out Loud (and in Colour!) 0 06-08-2001 02:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com