Gertrude Bell and the Birth of Iraq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Gertrude Bell and the Birth of Iraq, by Chris Calder [history, Middle East, Transjordan, Jordon, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Ibn Saud, Faisal, T.E. Lawrence, Winston Churchill]

I think it was the British, during the 1940s, that finalized the current borders.

I asgree with Joe Biden that the U.S. should have divided, after the recent U.S. invasion, Iraq into three different regions (countries)

-the Sunnis

-the Kurds

-the Shiites

Those three groups will never get along with each other because of religious and cultural differences.
There is no compromoise in their religions.

There is no compromoise in their religions.

In my view, that is a not particularly insightful statement, I am sorry to say. The nature of the human is tribalistic. Religion is the convenient scapegoat.

Islam is the convenient scapegoat.

In my view, that is a not particularly insightful statement, I am sorry to say. The nature of the human is tribalistic. Religion is the convenient scapegoat.

Islam is the convenient scapegoat.

I do not understand your comment.

The Sunnis and the Shiites are deeply divided on their interpretation of how to practice their faith. This, I think, is one of the causes of the violence in Iraq.

I do not understand your comment.

The Sunnis and the Shiites are deeply divided on their interpretation of how to practice their faith. This, I think, is one of the causes of the violence in Iraq.

Trace it back to its roots, it goes back to tribalism.

They are not fighting over deep theological questions, it's tribal identity and local power plays.

Christians are poorly placed to criticise Islam as inferior on the basis of sectarianism.

They are not fighting over deep theological questions, it's tribal identity and local power plays.

Christians are poorly placed to criticise Islam as inferior on the basis of sectarianism.

How do you suggest we discuss the distinct differences among Muslims?

Where can we who discuss this topic be properly placed?

I have not mentioned Christians in my comments. Why the comment on Christians?

Trace it back to its roots, it goes back to tribalism.

Indeed. Note that the Iraqi Kurds are also Sunni Muslim, but they clearly do not get along with their Sunni Arab neighbors to the South.

Quite simply, as you put it, it comes completely down to tribalism. The Middle East is quite easily described as a group of Muslims that hate each other, both historically and presently.

How do you suggest we discuss the distinct differences among Muslims?

With a thorough understanding of the expansive and varied history of the Islamic world, and the nations and tribes that make it up. Undoubtedly, studying this to the appropriate level is very long and complicated, but it is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom