German court outlaws circumcision for boys - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #121
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I like the idea that because one has a religious belief, that the law should not apply to them.
Seriously. It's amazing how much crap has been allowed to occur under the guise of "religious practices". I'm with you, if it harms other people, I don't really care about the religion of those involved at that point. You're endangering someone's life and that needs to be stopped.

Yeah, I've never heard of people doing that before now, either, and I really don't get such a practice. Especially in this day and age, 'cause, um, last I checked, we DO have things available to stop bleeding-band-aids, gauze, cloth, etc.... So why rabbis are doing that, I don't know. But I'm with those who think this should be stopped. I don't get the point, and it just sounds dangerous and stupid and creepy.

I feel for the families whose children died or were infected through this.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:34 PM
I could see how people would take this sexually, but I honestly didn't even go there with my thoughts. I don't think this is a sanatary method for stopping the bleeding.

Maybe 5000 years ago it seemed like a OK idea, but it's not. There is serious harm that can be done by doing this, and a child doesn't have any say in this manner. And it's not the child's fault if it's parents aren't very bright or are willing to ignore medical advice and data that states complications or even death can come from this.

We used to think that spitting on someone's wound would heal them (or choose whatever favorite relic you like), but we don't do that anymore. So again, why is this acceptable?

Old 09-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #123
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:34 AM
Oh my god that's disgusting

I don't mean to insult ultra-orthodox Jews, but at least from my outside perspective...
Old 09-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #124
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Oh my god that's disgusting

I don't mean to insult ultra-orthodox Jews, but at least from my outside perspective...
Let me finish that thought for you

".....I have a more objective and rational opinion. It's a disgusting practice. Also, I take back what I said about caring if I insult anyone. Also, Jive Turkey is like, totally the smartest and coolest person I've ever spoken with"
Old 09-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #125
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:34 AM
This is a perfect example of religion getting in the way of rational thought.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Niederman said the research linking metzitzah b’peh to infant deaths is “full of holes,” adding that the ritual is performed safely “tens of thousands of times a year” worldwide, and that babies who aren’t circumcised can also acquire herpes shortly after birth.
This is my favorite quote right here. Two perfectly true statements that do nothing to actually refute the fact that rabbis are introducing a potentially deadly infectious agent to an open wound on an infant with an immature and naive immune system.

Damn your science.

In the rest of the civilized world, the foreskin is crushed with a metal clamp before it is cut so there isn't as much bleeding. Good times.