German court outlaws circumcision for boys - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:49 AM
I've heard really sad stories from certain rural midwest towns where boys who were in tact were made fun of for being "freaks" when showering for gym.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:49 AM
I have had this discussion with my partner because I strongly feel that it's an antiquated, barbaric, and unnecessary practice and I am very much against inflicting it on any sons we may have. Mercifully he agrees so there is really no conflict there.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Oh, yeah, I knew it had to do with the Jewish faith and such, I just don't get how that procedure is supposed to relate to that faith, exactly. But admittedly, I'm not well-versed in Jewish rituals .

There are many important stages in the life of a Jew, beginning with the "Brit Mila" which has its origin in biiblical times and in Hebrew it is called a "Brit Milla" (hence the word "Bris" in Yiddish). It symbolizes the "Brit" (covenant) between a Jew and G-d. Here is some more information:

Brit Milah - The Covenant of Circumcision (Bris)
Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono

There are many important stages in the life of a Jew, beginning with the "Brit Mila" which has its origin in biiblical times and in Hebrew it is called a "Brit Milla" (hence the word "Bris" in Yiddish). It symbolizes the "Brit" (covenant) between a Jew and G-d. Here is some more information:

Brit Milah - The Covenant of Circumcision (Bris)
There are tribes in Africa that also have important stages in the life of their females
Old 06-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
Acrobat

I always found it odd that the western world is so against female circumcision but so for male circumcision. I don't see a difference.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

There is a massive difference if you are talking about female genital mutilation, which causes fistulas, an inability to urinate, death, etc.

What male circumcision could probably properly be compared to is the removal of the clitoral hood (and even then it is very questionable because male circumcision would still result in the vast majority of men being able to experience orgasm while the removal of the clitoral hood would result in the opposite - ie. the vast majority of women would no longer be able to climax).

ETA: There is also some medical science supporting the thesis that male circumcision leads to lower HIV infection rates in countries where hygiene is an issue - italics mine because this last part is often left out. There is no medical reason whatsoever to remove the clitoral hood.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Kind of silly that God wants you to cut a part of your dick off.

No thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram
There is a massive difference if you are talking about female genital mutilation, which causes fistulas, an inability to urinate, death, etc.

What male circumcision could probably properly be compared to is the removal of the clitoral hood (and even then it is very questionable because male circumcision would still result in the vast majority of men being able to experience orgasm while the removal of the clitoral hood would result in the opposite - ie. the vast majority of women would no longer be able to climax).

ETA: There is also some medical science supporting the thesis that male circumcision leads to lower HIV infection rates in countries where hygiene is an issue - italics mine because this last part is often left out. There is no medical reason whatsoever to remove the clitoral hood.
The point is that it's genital mutilation against one's will. Babies still die from botched circumcision or even more pleasantly, die from herpes transmitted by the mohel.
There's also evidence that the loss in sensitivity of the glans is responsible for at least some instances of erectile dysfunction
Old 06-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #24
Acrobat

Cutting off a part of your body just to slightly lower the risk of you getting an STD when we live in a world full of condoms is kind of ridiculous.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:49 AM
Quote:
Male circumcision is the surgical removal of some or all of the foreskin (prepuce) from the penis. Early depictions of circumcision are found in cave paintings and Ancient Egyptian tombs, though some pictures are open to interpretation. Circumcision is often performed for religious reasons. In Judaism, it is considered a commandment from God.
Let's set the record straight,
it is a commandment from God.

Wandering around in the desert all those years, one would encounter a lot of sand storms.
And with loose robes, well, sand is little bitty pieces of glass, that could get quite uncomfortable.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
Cutting off a part of your body just to slightly lower the risk of you getting an STD when we live in a world full of condoms is kind of ridiculous.
It certainly is in North America and Europe and in such places there is no sound medical reason for this.

It gets a bit more grey in African countries where HIV infections did drop (statistically significantly) among circumcised men. Again, this is a function of access to hygiene, but in places where condoms may be unavailable due to remoteness of location, too expensive for someone living on a buck a day, or culturally not accepted and where the HIV is at epidemic levels, there may be some argument for medical merit. As the WHO has advocated, for example.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #27
Acrobat

You make a valid point, anitram.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #28
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I don't doubt it but that is half of American boys as a whole. If you look at the smaller context of the community in which I was raised, live, and work I'd honestly be impressed if you found one, so it's not just the father but the peers as well.
I find this absolutely astonishing. You'd find it extremely difficult to find a circumcised male under the age of about 40 or 45 in Australia and New Zealand. Hell, when a friend of a friend had sex with a circumcised guy, it was a novelty topic of discussion.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #29
War Child

Local Time: 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I find this absolutely astonishing. You'd find it extremely difficult to find a circumcised male under the age of about 40 or 45 in Australia and New Zealand. Hell, when a friend of a friend had sex with a circumcised guy, it was a novelty topic of discussion.
It's funny, cuz where I live, I had the same situation, except it was so interesting because it was an UNcircumcised guy.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:49 PM
Christopher Hitchens Goes After Rabbi Harold Kushner re: Circumcision - YouTube

Nothing to add.