George Zimmerman, the killer of young Trayvon Martin, was found 'not guilty'.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
seriously if anyone thinks these gang killings don't or can't involved claims of standing their ground they are wrong, unless that is just reserved for 'certain' people.

Can you claim Stand Your Ground with an illegal gun?
If not, what are the chances a gang member would have a legal gun?

Marijuana is the problem, not guns. Trayvon was high on marijuana as evidenced in the toxicology report from the autopsy. If people weren't getting so high on dope, disastrous events such as this entire fiasco would have never occurred.

Marijuana is the problem, not guns. Trayvon was high on marijuana as evidenced in the toxicology report from the autopsy. If people weren't getting so high on dope, disastrous events such as this entire fiasco would have never occurred.

:lol:

Actually, more people should get weed then. If Zimmerman was on dope, he wouldn't be driving his car, and sure as heck wouldn't pay attention to some random hooded kid. It'd be aaaallllll cooooollll mannnn. :wink:

Actually - I think that we really haven't covered the issue of concealed weapon permits. We've only touched on it.

Forget for a moment the larger issue of gun control - let's assume we all agree people can have a rifle/handgun in their home for defense.

Should anyone be able to carry a concealed weapon out in public?

Also - regarding Stand Your Ground - If Martin was armed this could have led to an Ol West shootout. In theory, if you extend the idea - you can have groups of people "Standing Their Ground" against whole other groups (think OK Corral). Should we seriously allow this?

The discussion of Stand Your Ground laws should be viewed in light of the long standing defense of Self Defense. The defense is rooted in common law (meaning the law developed over hundreds of years and thousands of cases and is not a result of legislation). To rely on the defense, the burden of establishing the elements is on the defendant.

The general rule is a person may use non-deadly force to prevent imminent injury. The development of this law extended the applicability of the defense to include the use of deadly force when a person is in reasonable fear of serious injury or death.

Some states modified the deadly force aspect of the Self Defense rule with the statutory requirement of a Duty of Retreat. This means a defendant must take reasonable steps to retreat and so demonstrated an intention not to fight before eventually using force. The exception is not universal, with exceptions stating that a person need not retreat from their own home or a person acting under color of authority (a police officer).

Stand Your Ground is not a recent invention and is essentially the rejection of the Duty of Retreat. Some states have established Stand Your Ground by statute, while others it has developed by court decisions. The underlying concept for Stand Your Ground is that there is no duty to retreat when a person is assaulted in a place where he or she has a right to be.

It can be argued that the imposition of a Duty of Retreat rewards the aggressor and deprives a person’s right to “be where he or she has a right to be” when faced with an aggressor.

There have been suggestions that Stand Your Ground laws will return us to the days of the “Wild West”. I haven’t seen sufficient evidence to suggest that has actually happened.

Concealed Carry laws perhaps should be a separate thread. Interestingly, people have the right to obtain a Conceal Carry Permit in all 50 States. I’ll have to spend more time researching this topic – I would be interested to see how often a person uses a concealed weapon if they do have a permit – and how often the use was improper.

Knowing that some states have very restrictive gun control laws, it would be interesting to see who is able to obtain a concealed carry permit. My gut tells me the wealthy and, more importantly, politically connected, will always be able to get these permits.

There have been suggestions that Stand Your Ground laws will return us to the days of the “Wild West”. I haven’t seen sufficient evidence to suggest that has actually happened.

I think if you combined Stand Your Ground with a very generous concealed weapons law (meaning just about anyone can carry) - then you might have such an environment.

Three black teens attack 13 year old white kid.

When I saw this on CNN a few days back, it made me think of the media circus around the Zimmerman case. It makes me wonder - if the races of the attackers and victim had been reversed - do you think there would have been a national outcry from the Left?

Three black teens attack 13 year old white kid.

When I saw this on CNN a few days back, it made me think of the media circus around the Zimmerman case. It makes me wonder - if the races of the attackers and victim had been reversed - do you think there would have been a national outcry from the Left?

Are the black teens going to be acquitted?

I think this is really cheap and shows that you don't understand what the issue really was in the TM case. It's not interracial violence, but the unequal application of justice and how racial profiling can kill, as well as the insanity of our gun laws as well as SYG.

This has nothing in common other than the fact that you have victims and perps of different races.

That video made me want to vomit, fwiw.

I disagree - the media circus began before Zimmerman was acquitted.

The media circus began when the police determined it not necessary to arrest Zimmerman after having shot the black kid. That does suggest there was inequal application of justice being applied.

Because he was let go after shooting an unarmed teenager.

Did it not seem the media convicted Zimmerman before all the facts were in? And when all the facts came to light - at the trial - it turns out there wasn't enough evidence to convict Zimmerman.

I wish I had the money to start a boring, dry news channel that just reported facts. I don't care if it operated at a loss - at least people would be able to sort through facts without being bothered by rhetoric.

Did it not seem the media convicted Zimmerman before all the facts were in?

Fox race-baited the entire time.

I wish I had the money to start a boring, dry news channel that just reported facts. I don't care if it operated at a loss - at least people would be able to sort through facts without being bothered by rhetoric.

PBS and NPR.

I'd like to start a website that just reports every single murder, and it's victims, despite race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

The media circus began when the police determined it not necessary to arrest Zimmerman after having shot the black kid. That does suggest there was inequal application of justice being applied.

The police were absolutely right not to charge Zimmerman. You are 100% wrong. The police were right. He never should have been charged as the jury aquitted him. In fact he was overcharged in order to appease to the race baiting left. If anything Zimmerman is a victim of politics.

The police were absolutely right not to charge Zimmerman. You are 100% wrong. The police were right.

Why were the police right not to arrest him when they arrived at the scene? You have a guy who has just shot and killed a teenager. That guy says "Stand my ground! Yadda, yadda, yadda." So are you then just going to say, "OK. Let's forget about it. You can go now."?

He was the victim of a crime and defended himself as his head was being bashed against concrete.

How would you know this was the situation the moment the police arrived at the scene?
I mean, this was before Zimmerman was able to hire a top lawyer team from donations he solicited (and received) after it became an international news item. And before all the testimonials, etc.
What you're saying in your quote is the outcome of his trial, he was acquitted. But at the moment it happened the situation was a lot murkier. So I would expect the person who shot and killed someone else to be taken into custody. After some more research it might be that there is no case, but that's most likely not something you know in the first moments after arriving on the crime scene.

Back
Top Bottom