George W. Bush, the man, not as moronic as it seems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
He says that God doesn't talk to him with a voice in his head, that the bible isn't literally true, and accepts the scientific fact of evolution, I wonder what will slip out over the next few decades
George W. Bush's recent statement that he believes the Bible is "probably not" literally true has apparently left many Christian conservatives reeling in shock.

David Brody of the Christian Broadcasting Network told CNN"s John Roberts on Thursday, "I think a lot of social conservative evangelicals were surprised -- probably grabbing the smelling salts as we speak."

Bush made the controversial statement during a Monday interview on ABC's Nightline. When asked whether he thinks the Bible is literally true, he replied, "Probably not. No, I'm not a literalist, but I think you can learn a lot from it."

One blogger at the conservative Washington Times, commented the next morning, "I already have an e-mail from a former Bush administration official who writes, 'This just completely alienated his evangelical supporters.'"

Bush further stated in the interview, "I think that God created the Earth ... and I don't think it's incompatible with the scientific proof that there is evolution."

Brody suggested that Bush may have merely been referring to what creationists call "microevolution" -- small-scale changes that do not rise to the level of creating new species. However, he didn't appear altogether confident, telling Roberts, "The problem was, the president didn't seem all that -- if you want to use the word -- coherent on the subject."

Brody, who has written that Bush would "have had to go into damage control mode" after these comments if he were still running for office, said that the remarks definitely "would have been an issue" in 1999, when Bush was actively seeking the support of the religious right in his bid for the presidency.

Brody concluded by suggesting, with what appeared to be a note of bitterness, that "George Bush has always been -- quote -- 'good' on the 'life' issue with social conservatives and good with the marriage issue. And it seems that he had cover because he had the public policy positions down."

Some evangelicals, however, claim they were not surprised by Bush's remarks. A blog titled "The Moral Collapse Of America" pointed out after the interview that "George W. Bush's religious beliefs are not compatible with evangelical Christianity," because "Bush has openly said many times that Christians, Muslims and all other religions pray to the same God."

"Evangelical Christians were conned into thinking that Bush was 'one of them,'" the Moral Collapse blogger concluded. "the reality is that he isn't one of them and he never was."
The Raw Story | CNN guest: Bush Bible comment shocked evangelicals

YouTube - Bush: God, The Bible, Faith, Evolution and Creation

This is fascinating, without having to appease the base, he comes off as pretty mainstream.

you mean to tell me that W's faith was nothing more than a cynical calculation?

stunning.

though it always struck me that W's faith was more of the Alcoholics Anonymous kind -- the self-esteem booster -- and not so much the "God's Plan" kind.

So you're telling me that there wasn't really an Ark with two of every animal on it? Next you'll be telling me that a man waved his arms and parted a whole ocean? :doh:

Dragons and unicorns really existed though. . . . . didn't they?
:wink:

It's been said since day one, W was nothing more than a puppet. That's why he came off so stupid when he spoke, the strings weren't attached. I think he cared a little more for the social conservative "values" than Karl Rove, but not much more. Karl was calculative, he didn't really give a shit about gay marriage. If I were to take a guess W and Cheney probably aren't hardcore about it either, but the Diamonds and Nathans are and they really wanted your votes.

Maybe he's just had enough reason to doubt his certainty over the last 8 years.
Anyone of us could fish a quote about his resolve in faith circa 9/11.

Maybe he's just not quite as 'born again' as he used to be. He wouldn't be the first.
I'm not talking about a lapse of faith but a move away from 'certainty' and fundamentalist literal readings.

And FWIW, I never thought the man was a moron but relatively speaking (considering his occupation) he certainly was. The fact that he's acknowledged 'evolution' is not all that surprising, it's more baffling that an otherwise reasonable (again, relatively) Mike Huckabee raised his hand when the question was asked. He might as well have said "God made me a moron."

It's the same reason he's selling his fake ranch in Crawford. All these things were done for political gain, and he'll no longer need them once he's out of office.

Back
Top Bottom