Gender and race

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
We have a good chance to make history this election--with either the first African-American president or the first woman president.
And beyond the election, I think our attitudes are starting to be scrutinized once again. I'm more affected by the gender aspect of it. I've become more sensitized in the past several years when I've gone from being a young woman to a not so young woman.
I assume too that blacks ask themselves similar questions and black women doubly so.

Where are we really when we get past the lip service? The New York Times had an article on the gender aspect of it today.

The Nation
Postfeminism and Other Fairy Tales
Brendan McDermid/Reuters, left; Dana Edelson/NBC, via Associated Press

By KATE ZERNIKE
Published: March 16, 2008
PERHAPS it was the “Iron my shirt!” hecklers. Or maybe it was Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, the object of those hecklers, having to defend her likability. Or the resonance of her proxy, Amy Poehler, being shut out in the “Saturday Night Live” spoofs of the Democratic debates. Or last week, the spectacle of yet another male politician admitting he had betrayed his wife, while she stood clubbed beside him — and male commentators talked about his patronizing of prostitutes as a “victimless crime.”

It’s not quite an “angry woman” moment, or more pointedly, an “angry white woman” moment, to borrow a label that has attached derogatorily or proudly to white men, black men and black women at various times. But the politics of the last few months have certainly opened a spigot on the question of where exactly society stands on gender matters. Weren’t we in what some people have long called a postfeminist era, when we thought the big battles were over, or at least that the combatants had reached some accommodation? And wasn’t the younger generation less hung up on the stereotypes and issues of the sort Mrs. Clinton taps into among older women?

Not so fast. No matter how historic the prospect of electing a woman or black man as president this year, if the rising volume of chatter in the news and entertainment media is any measure, women are doing a little re-tallying.

It’s hardly that all women are on the same side — there were plenty of women making the points men were about prostitution after Gov. Eliot Spitzer of New York resigned following the news that he had paid perhaps tens of thousands of dollars for sex. But there seemed to be a starker split between men’s and women’s reactions to the scandal. And women who for a long time felt they were on opposite sides of a generational divide on gender issues were finding things in common.

“It’s a little bit like the Anita Hill moment, when all of a sudden everybody is talking about something that probably always goes on, and there really is a fundamental difference in who the men and the women identify with,” said Deborah Tannen, a professor of linguistics at Georgetown University and the author of several books on the ways men and women communicate.

Suzanne B. Goldberg, a law professor at Columbia and director of its sexuality and gender law clinic, called the current climate “a perfect storm.”

“Before Spitzer, there had been a great focus on women as presidential candidates and women as voters,” she said. “Now we add to that women as political spouses.”

“I’m not such a Mars-Venus person but this is one of those moments where gender is at least a partial explanation, it affects how people hear campaign rhetoric, how people see political downfalls,” Ms. Goldberg said. “Even people who were unwilling to see it before are more likely to acknowledge the pervasiveness of sex stereotypes.”

At one extreme there was the bald outrage of Geraldine Ferraro, who complained that Barack Obama would not have come as far as he had if he were a white man or a woman of any race — comments that led her to resign from the Clinton campaign last week. Ms. Ferraro tripped right into the race minefield in her big rush to make her point about the gender minefield. But all along, many women who fought the first wave of battles for gender equality have seen a bias against Mrs. Clinton — which helps explain why older women form the core of her support.

Younger women, for their part, are starting to have what Ms. Goldberg calls “the aha moment” — even if it doesn’t put them in Mrs. Clinton’s column, as some of the welter of commentary last week found.

“Like lots of other twentysomething women, I’ve been an unswerving Obama girl from the get-go,” wrote Noreen Malone on The XX Factor, the Slate magazine blog written by women. “Oddly enough it’s taken Spitzergate — not Hillary’s tears, not her scolding — to make me less dismissive of the feminist ‘obligation’ to vote for a woman.”

It reminded her of a depressing bit of wisdom passed on by a friend’s father: “The most powerful people in the world are old white men and pretty young women.”

“During my supposedly post-feminist lifetime, the women who’ve created the biggest stir are the young women who’ve ruined the careers of powerful old men,” she wrote. “I’m not saying I’m for Hillary now, and I’m not saying that Hillary’s history with sexual peccadilloes is uncomplicated, but it certainly makes me appreciate the fact that she’s learned other ways of manipulating power.”

A year ago, it all seemed so different. If the nation wasn’t quite gender-blind, still, a woman stood poised to become president, didn’t she? So unskeptical were women about that possibility that lots of them felt they did not have to vote for “the woman candidate”; it was the ultimate feminist decision to find Mr. Obama the better candidate — or John Edwards or any of the other men running, although it was Mr. Obama who seemed to transcend the identity politics that many young women in particular found tiresome and anachronistic.

Last edited:
Continued:

But it has proved harder to move the country beyond stereotypes. In an essay she wrote last fall for the new book “30 Ways of Looking at Hillary: Reflections by Women Writers,” the Nation columnist Katha Pollitt declared that the “sulfurous emanations” about Mrs. Clinton made her want to write a check to her campaign, knock on doors, vote for her twice — even though she’d probably choose another candidate on policy grounds. “The hysterical insults flung at Hillary Clinton are just a franker, crazier version of the everyday insults — shrill, strident, angry, ranting, unattractive — that are flung at any vaguely liberal mildly feminist woman who shows a bit of spirit and independence,” she wrote, “who puts herself out in the public realm, who doesn’t fumble and look up coyly from underneath her hair and give her declarative sentences the cadence of a question.”

“Every woman I know who calls herself a feminist, or is even just doing well, especially in a field in which men also contend,” Ms. Pollitt wrote, “deals with some version of this.”

The bridge from Ms. Pollitt’s generation to its successors was apparent last month in an e-mail message a friend of Chelsea Clinton’s sent around. Attached was an article by the early and unreconstructed feminist Robin Morgan that detailed in full-throated outrage the bias against Mrs. Clinton, and women. Chelsea herself apparently appended a note saying that while she did not agree entirely with Ms. Morgan’s point, she was starting to understand what older women were complaining about. “I confess that I did not entirely ‘get it’ until not only guys stood up and shouted, ‘iron my shirts’ but the media reacted with amusement, not outrage,” the note attributed to Ms. Clinton said.

Writing about the e-mail message on Slate, Emily Bazelon asked, “Even if we don’t agree with all of what Morgan has to say, either because we just don’t or because we’re not of her generation, should the reception to Hillary’s candidacy radicalize us? Or is this just all too unhinged?” The group of women on her e-mail list, she said, “were split.”

A contest between a woman and an African-American raises the inevitable question about whether it is harder to overcome racial bias than gender bias. Few claim to know the answer, and many argue it’s too hard to tease out the ways each plays a role. But some also argue that the media is not as quick to recognize misogyny as it is to recognize racism. “The media is on eggshells about race, but has blinders on about sex and gender stereotyping,” said Ms. Goldberg of Columbia.

Kate Michelman, a former president of Naral Pro-Choice America, who is an adviser to Mr. Obama, said in an interview that “racism has risen to a level of social consciousness that sexism has not.”

Of course, it was comedy that crystallized the moment. “Saturday Night Live” mocked reporters falling faint over Mr. Obama (Sample debate question: “Are you mad at me?”) and cutting off Mrs. Clinton for being that irritating bore talking about health care again. Meanwhile, on “The Daily Show” on Comedy Central last week, Samantha Bee played the role of the philandering wife, standing behind a podium contritely acknowledging her offense while her husband stood behind her with the downcast eyes so familiar from Silda Wall Spitzer and the political wives who had come before. It was, of course, preposterous — and not just because Ms. Bee’s husband was wearing pearls.

The Spitzer scandal seemed to stoke particular outrage among women. On Slate, Hanna Rosin wrote of her “Ashley Dupré” moment — referring to the name Mr. Spitzer’s prostitute uses. “I read her story and the old ’70s feminist in me (admittedly a tiny presence) rears up.”

Ms. Rosin was a child in the ’70s, but Ms. Michelman, a veteran of that feminist era, saw something in last week’s scandal too. “I was upset with Bill Clinton but there’s something about this one that has gotten to me more,” she said. “Maybe because Spitzer has carved out for himself these high ethical standards.” And, of course, many women fighting sex trafficking considered him an ally, since that was one of his causes as a prosecutor.

But Ms. Michelman is not changing her vote: “I do think women are angry, but anger doesn’t get us very far. It’s a motivator, but it’s not enough.”

All this racism and sexism shows is that many Americans are little more than immature, grown children, rather than adults. I truly find both concepts to be utterly foreign to me.

But doesn't the obsession with race and gender on the left also show a political immaturity?

What's wrong with actually assessing a candidate's policies and voting accordingly? :scratch:

financeguy said:
But doesn't the obsession with race and gender on the left also show a political immaturity?

What's wrong with actually assessing a candidate's policies and voting accordingly? :scratch:

I agree it should be about the issues, but I have to admit it is kind of strange to hear this from you. You out of all FYM posters come off as one of the most race and gender obsessed members we have. I don't want to get in specifics and throw this thread off, but I think you know what I mean.

It seems to me quite honestly that Republicans have a point when they say that theirs is the party of action, Democrats is the party of talk, talk, talk.

The Republicans get on with appointing an African-American male and African-American female to high office, without looking for plaudits from the PC brigade.

The Democratic party whinges and moans in a rather self-obsessed fashion about whether they should be more concerned about gender or race, and then expects to be congratulated by the rest of the world on its great commitment to advancing the cause of equal rights.

The Democratic party should stop obsessing with what the left-wing sociologists brigade - who, let's face it, are never going to be happy until white men are pretty much barred from everything - think of it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I agree it should be about the issues, but I have to admit it is kind of strange to hear this from you. You out of all FYM posters come off as one of the most race and gender obsessed members we have. I don't want to get in specifics and throw this thread off, but I think you know what I mean.

No, I don't know what you mean. I haven't a fucking iota to be honest, and I'd like you to explain yourself.

financeguy said:

No, I don't know what you mean. I haven't a fucking iota to be honest, and I'd like you to explain yourself.

Well post like this:

The Democratic party should stop obsessing with what the left-wing sociologists brigade - who, let's face it, are never going to be happy until white men are pretty much barred from everything - think of it.

And your attempts of "how men are oppressed" threads, the "science" in those threads were unbelievable.

I was going to post links but then decided it was not the right thing to do, you should know what I'm talking about now.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Well post like this:

And your attempts of "how men are oppressed" threads, the "science" in those threads were unbelievable.

I was going to post links but then decided it was not the right thing to do, you should know what I'm talking about now.

I see.

Posting two threads inviting a discussion on the issue of men's rights is, in fact, evidence of an obsession with gender.

Raising concerns about the high level of male suicides is, in fact, evidence of an obsession with gender.

Who'd have thunk it.

financeguy said:
It seems to me quite honestly that Republicans have a point when they say that theirs is the party of action, Democrats is the party of talk, talk, talk.

The Republicans get on with appointing an African-American male and African-American female to high office, without looking for plaudits from the PC brigade.

The Democratic party whinges and moans in a rather self-obsessed fashion about whether they should be more concerned about gender or race, and then expects to be congratulated by the rest of the world on its great commitment to advancing the cause of equal rights.

Personally, I think you're way off here (no offense). Most of the people here who would have the most problem with sexism or racism are in the Republican Party. While, in an ideal world, the Democratic Party would represent "leftism," in reality, they are little more than a center-right party, at most, from a global perspective. And the bulk of their support, from working-class union types, come from people who are highly "leftist" when it comes to labor issues, but tremendously "conservative" when it comes to social issues. Hence, we have states that vote consistently Democratic, yet overwhelmingly approve anti-gay state constitutional amendments.

The U.S., overall, irrespective of party or ideology, has an immature obsession with race and gender.

Last edited:
financeguy said:

So, recognizing that there's a ridiculous underepresentation of women and minorities in positions of power and authority = banning white males from everything?

If you really want to prove to us that white males are being treated soooo unfairly, you need to do better than this.

Although I'm obviously more aware of the bias that affects me directly, I don't discount others. White men predominantly set the rules, but that's not to say that all white men are living the Life of Riley and I think the attitude to struggling or mistreated white men is often cavalier. Recognition that women and
African-Americans live with a generally lesser status shouldn't invalidate. It shouldn't be us or them. It should be all of us.

I wonder where the bias comes from. I think part of it comes from a tendency to think of what is other as inferior. We cannot accept different without making a case for our own superiority.
When we are in the power position, we want to maintain the status quo. When we are not in a power position, we still want to view ourselves as superior to someone. Perhaps that is part of the answer. We accept the status quo and don't feel threatened by it. But when someone moves from what we consider their place, we are threatened by that. Women have been conditioned to step aside or be a support. Women who do not accept that role get all sorts of epithets thrown at them. But I'm not blind to the fact that women are also often cut down by other women who want to benefit from the male power structure. We are not all in this together, which is the reason for the dearth of old girls' networks.

To say there is not a lesser regard in general for women in this society would be wrong, for all the lip service we are paid.

I'm a feminist. But I'm looking to bring women up, not to bring men down. I like men. I'm not their enemy. They're not mine.
But I'm tired of accepting less.

I don't want to limit this thread to gender. But I'm not particularly qualified to discuss race, not having been racially discriminated against.

Last edited:
melon said:

The U.S., overall, irrespective of party or ideology, has an immature obsession with race and gender.

based on my experience, living, working, and traveling abroad, i don't think this is necessarily true. one thing i think the US actually does well is acknowledge that these things are real, that they exist, that they shape experience and perception, and that it affects one's outlook on life.

i think the US is fighting these things out in a very public way and wildly immature attitudes are aired -- but at least we acknowledge that they exist. this is not the case in many other western nations.

It's hard to say what exactly having a (white) female or an African-American (male) President might do to address those discrepancies, at least relative to "another straight white guy". There's always the argument that the "symbolic" value alone could make a huge difference--that it might in various ways and to varying degrees help open millions of people's eyes to potentials they've been overlooking (consciously or not) in others. It's interesting how the once-common refrains, from several months back, of "Oh Obama's not really black" or "Hillary's only a 'successful woman' because she's Bill Clinton's wife" have largely given way to (perceived?) identity-politics repackaging of both, to the point where they allegedly embody the aspirations, frustrations, predicaments etc. of millions of others "like them" (and where is that supposed to leave black women, anyway?). On the one hand no one wants a mere "token," on the other hand we're w(e)ary of the social fallout from seeing candidates transformed into collective dreams of equality personified, because then the "competitive" undertones inevitably seem to creep in, and people's awareness of what they might be "sacrificing" in voting for whichever candidate is heightened. Does s/he have a Dream, or really just a grievance? And if it's the former, what blind spots might it be hiding?

I think I meant to go beyond whether we should elect an African-American President or a woman president but that this heated campaign laid bare perceptions we often try to pretend we've gotten over in polite society. Nothing like politics to shed social inhibitions.

I think the gender issue also has to do with age, and you can see that reflected on this election. In general younger women (I have no idea what the age cutoff would be) have not experienced sexism at the same level that "older" women (whatever the cutoff for that would be) have.

Do you mean in the sense that older women have 'been around the block more', or in the sense that women are actually treated differently based on age?

It has been my observation in my 16 years in the full-time workforce (8 years in retailing, 8 in academia) that on the whole, older women--by which, I suppose, I mean 'women who no longer appear young'--are more likely to be unfairly judged 'unreasonable' or 'incompetent' than younger women are. There are probably multiple reasons for that; I assume one is that on a subconscious, cultural-archetypal level, people are more likely to project 'mother figure' associations onto them, in a similar fashion to how older men are more likely to evoke 'father figure' responses (the latter are *usually* advantageous, however). That's a generalization, of course, and you could qualify it in various ways--for example, young and exceptionally attractive women may be more likely to draw the most outrageous forms of those judgments; in a few workplaces, such as the classroom, older women may actually find it easier than younger women to establish authority and command respect; a woman's race, particularly if different from that of her coworkers, may also affect their perceptions, etc.

It's difficult, though, to parse out where in something like the present primary campaign the dividing line between different experience-based perceptions of an unfolding reality, on the one hand, and more reflexive, less thought-through forms of emotional loyalty, ultimately lies, especially when there isn't some one concrete test case to look at. I do think that some of the more logical reasons for being turned off by Hillary Clinton's campaign can sometimes snowball into responding to her as if she were some sort of apocalyptic Lilith figure, and it can be difficult not to see sexism in that. Likewise, some of the more well-reasoned concerns that Obama may not be as prepared to lead the country as his compelling presence suggests can sometimes slide into a too-easy derisive contempt, and it can be difficult not to see racism in that. But Presidential campaigns trade so heavily in tropes, archetypes, and symbolism to begin with that it can be tough to pin down what a 'logical,' 'reason-based' response to their various twists and turns should look like.

At any rate, I do think that if Hillary wins the nomination, a lot of people are going to walk away darkly muttering, "There will never be a black President in my lifetime," and that if Obama wins, a lot of people are going to walk away darkly muttering, "There will never be a woman President in my lifetime." And I do find that sad.

Last edited:
financeguy said:

Interesting, intelligent, insightful comments on this whole thread.

Thanks everybody.
:heart:

yolland said:
Do you mean in the sense that older women have 'been around the block more', or in the sense that women are actually treated differently based on age?

I meant in the sense that they've 'been around the block more' and some grew up and began their careers, etc. in what was essentially a different time for women. It seems as if younger women at times even take that for granted because their life experience has been different in that regard, perhaps even their upbringing and family life. Of course that's a generalization and each woman has her own story to tell. I'm sure twentysomethings have plenty of stories to tell about sexism they've experienced.

When I have read about results this election, it tends to follow a certain pattern as far as older women vs younger women voters. But of course there are variables other than gender.

NY Times

April 6, 2008
Op-Ed Columnist
Our Racist, Sexist Selves
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

To my horror, I turn out to be a racist.

The University of Chicago offers an on-line psychological test in which you encounter a series of 100 black or white men, holding either guns or cellphones. You’re supposed to shoot the gunmen and holster your gun for the others.

I shot armed blacks in an average of 0.679 seconds, while I waited slightly longer — .694 seconds — to shoot armed whites. Conversely, I holstered my gun more quickly when encountering unarmed whites than unarmed blacks.

Take the test yourself and you’ll probably find that you show bias as well. Most whites and many blacks are more quick to shoot blacks, no matter how egalitarian they profess to be.

Harvard has a similar battery of psychological tests online (I have links to all of these from my blog, nytimes.com/ontheground, and my Facebook page, facebook.com/kristof). These “implicit attitude tests” very cleverly show that a stunningly large proportion of people who honestly believe themselves to be egalitarian unconsciously associate good with white and bad with black.

The unconscious is playing a political role this year, for the evidence is overwhelming that most Americans have unconscious biases both against blacks and against women in executive roles.

At first glance, it may seem that Barack Obama would face a stronger impediment than Hillary Clinton. Experiments have shown that the brain categorizes people by race in less than 100 milliseconds (one-tenth of a second), about 50 milliseconds before determining sex. And evolutionary psychologists believe we’re hard-wired to be suspicious of people outside our own group, to save our ancestors from blithely greeting enemy tribes of cave men. In contrast, there’s no hard-wired hostility toward women, though men may have a hard-wired desire to control and impregnate them.

Yet racism may also be easier to override than sexism. For example, one experiment found it easy for whites to admire African-American doctors; they just mentally categorized them as “doctors” rather than as “blacks.” Meanwhile, whites categorize black doctors whom they dislike as “blacks.”

In another experiment, researchers put blacks and whites in sports jerseys as if they belonged to two basketball teams. People looking at the photos logged the players in their memories more by team than by race, recalling a player’s jersey color but not necessarily his or her race. But only very rarely did people forget whether a player was male or female.

“We can make categorization by race go away, but we could never make gender categorization go away,” said John Tooby, a scholar at the University of California, Santa Barbara, who ran the experiment. Looking at the challenges that black and female candidates face in overcoming unconscious bias, he added, “Based on the underlying psychology and anthropology, I think it’s more difficult for a woman, though not impossible.”

Alice Eagly, a professor of psychology at Northwestern University, agrees: “In general, gender trumps race. ... Race may be easier to overcome.”

The challenge for women competing in politics or business is less misogyny than unconscious sexism: Americans don’t hate women, but they do frequently stereotype them as warm and friendly, creating a mismatch with the stereotype we hold of leaders as tough and strong. So voters (women as well as men, though a bit less so) may feel that a female candidate is not the right person for the job because of biases they’re not even aware of.

“I don’t have to be conscious of this,” said Nilanjana Dasgupta, a psychology professor at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. “All I think is that this person isn’t a good fit for a tough leadership job.”

Women now hold 55 percent of top jobs at American foundations but are still vastly underrepresented among political and corporate leaders — and one factor may be that those are seen as jobs requiring particular toughness. Our unconscious may feel more of a mismatch when a woman competes to be president or a C.E.O. than when she aims to lead a foundation or a university.

Women face a related challenge: Those viewed as tough and strong are also typically perceived as cold and unfeminine. Many experiments have found that women have trouble being perceived as both nice and competent.

“Clinton runs the risk of being seen as particularly cold, particularly uncaring, because she doesn’t fit the mold,” said Joshua Correll, a psychologist at the University of Chicago. “It probably is something a man doesn’t deal with.”

But biases are not immutable. Research subjects who were asked to think of a strong woman then showed less implicit bias about men and women. And students exposed to a large number of female professors also experienced a reduction in gender stereotypes.

So maybe the impact of this presidential contest won’t be measured just in national policies, but also in progress in the deepest recesses of our own minds.

I read that article this morning and thought a lot of it rang true perhaps because of an unconscious division of roles and characteristics between men or women regardless of individual skill and temperment. Perhaps there is a corollary between this and orientation bias regarding a conscious or unconscious categorization of what is "natural".

Current featured poll over at US News & World Report:

usnewswrpoll.jpg

They forgot the "Why the f- should I be thinking of any of these women as prospective daycare managers" option...

Last edited:
They forgot the "Why the f- should I be thinking of any of these women as prospective daycare managers" option...

I guess they figured asking "Who is the best mother" was too direct and antiPC.

Frightening that Sarah Palin is so far ahead in the poll.:huh:

True.:lol: Also:huh:

Kind of reminds me of the 2004 election. Would you prefer John Kerry or George Bush to babysit your children? Frankly neither of them and why are you asking me this? Sigh.

All this racism and sexism shows is that many Americans are little more than immature, grown children, rather than adults. I truly find both concepts to be utterly foreign to me.

So do I and I am an American.

The media is simply an opinion. It does not represent how people truly feel.

Back
Top Bottom