Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
One other thing to remember, in Iraq there was no large united opposition group ready to step in and take over and restore order. The country was still very divided after Saddam was gone, which in part lead to the military quagmire that was the Iraq War. What we're doing in Libya is VERY different from what we did in Iraq.
What has led you to the belief that there is a "large united opposition group ready to step in and take over and restore order" in Libya?

Quote:
Q. In what circumstances, if any, would the president have constitutional authority to bomb Iran without seeking a use-of-force authorization from Congress? (Specifically, what about the strategic bombing of suspected nuclear sites -- a situation that does not involve stopping an IMMINENT threat?)

OBAMA: The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.

As Commander-in-Chief, the President does have a duty to protect and defend the United States. In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
What has led you to the belief that there is a "large united opposition group ready to step in and take over and restore order" in Libya?

I think the numbers of protesters who initially took to the streets in February were significantly high. However, I agree that his doesn't necessarily imply a united opposition.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
It's one of those heart vs head occasions, isn't it, and personally I think that you're right to be sceptical.
Thanks. Of course, certainly, I'm fully supportive of the Libyan people, and I want Gaddafi's reign of terror against the poor civilians stopped as much as the next person. He's a disgusting figure and what he's been doing to his people is shameful. And I don't ever want to retreat completely into a total isolationist worldview, I don't think that is good for anybody here or abroad, either.

But given all the issues surrounding our recent escapades into other countries, and our "help" not always actually turning out as such, I'm very hesitant about the way we currently seem to go about getting involved in other nations. I know sometimes too we don't always have much choice, but I think we could definitely do with some serious revamping of the way we handle our strategy should we need to get involved. The link from that journalist, the bit you quoted, very well said, some excellent points made there. He said it better than I could, I think.

I do hope for the best in this current intervention. May it bring the results that people are looking for. And any talk of cease-fires and such is always good news as well.

Angela
Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:26 PM
^I share yours and financeguy's skepticism. Indeed, I might go further and say that I think that getting involved here was unwise.

What's happening in Libya is horrible yes, but I'm not convinced that our involvement will help the situation there.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #110
Refugee

Local Time: 02:26 PM
Interesting way to look at it:

If this was the movie "Star wars": The Rebels are the Rebellion, the Empire is whoever was incumbent in Libya and the Emperor is Gadhafi

Go the rebels!