FYM'ers Weigh In

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maycocksean

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I'd like to humbly request the mods humor me on this thread which is quite off topic, and consider not moving it to EYKIW.

The reason is simply this: I spend most of my time on Interference here in FYM...I don't usually have the time to go anywhere else. I feel like I "know" the FYM regulars the best of anyone on this forum. I'm enjoying the excitement on the forums since NLOTH came out and I can easily find myself sucked into spending hours reading all the thoughts on the songs, the speculation about the tour etc. But at the same time I've wanted to know what some of the "familiar" folks thought about it. But the NLOTH forum is crazy. . .there are so many people posting there all the time and that's hard to keep track of the threads much less find out what say. . .Irvine or deep or or A_Wanderer or Mrs. S or BonoSaint may have said that got buried on page 15 of a fast moving thread.

So, I wanted to petition to have one "opinion on the new U2 album" thread stay here in FYM? After all the one thing we never talk about is U2 even though, that's ostensibly how we all ended up here. And actually, even if the mods decided to move this thread, at least it will exist and I'll know where to go to hear from all my "peeps."

As for myself, I'm really enjoying the album a great deal. The songs move me in a way that the tunes from the last record just didn't. I find I can't stop listening to the songs and they only get better with each listen.

I'm also finding this to be U2's most spiritual album since October. At the same time, I also see and can appreciate how an atheist/agnostic fan could still find much to love in the album. U2 has always been good at maintaining that universal appeal.

Since I'll be moving back to the U.S. this summer, hopefully I'll be able to meet up with some of you at one of the U2 shows this fall!

Anyone else care to share their thoughts and reactions to No Line on the Horizon?

I haven't really heard it well yet. My office mate got the CD and played it during work a couple of times yesterday and while I got the gist of it, I didn't hear it well enough to comment intelligently. But I should be hearing it in full soon enough, so if you want the opinion of a quasi-U2 fan later on........But there are better fans than me who'll give better comments.

My first reaction was :| but after a few listens I was more like :cute: and now I'm like :hyper:

It has grown on me, and my favorites now were not my initial favorites. Right now my favorites are FEZ, Breathe, and Magnificent and originally I liked Unknown Caller, Crazy, and Magnificent.

I can't really speak to the music and the lyrics; I tend not to read into things too much. Whether I like something or not is just based on gut reaction. I'm not an audiophile, a musician, or really an artist in any form. I either like something or I don't, and I like the album.

Great idea for a thread, I hope it stays here

I just heard it yesterday, I decided just like the other times to wait . I only had time to listen a couple of times but so far my favorite is definitely Magnificent. It also sounds so much better with headphones, well it does for me. And that's dirt cheap headphones, so I can imagine what great ones could do. I love Moment Of Surrender too.

I love the lyrics in Stand Up Comedy, especially the part about standing up to rock stars-the part that's about Bono :lol: I wonder if all of the others wrote that part :D

There is much spirituality in the album?

I'm pretty much like Lies. I either like music, or I don't. The lyrics normally don't bother me, except of course they are offensive in any way. Well, most of my life I didn't understand what the songs were about anyways, as I didn't understand anything. And to this day I often don't pay attention to the lyrics and in many cases have to read them as it can be quite hard for a non-native speaker to understand those.

I was never bothered with the spiritual meaning of U2 songs, the songs just sound great and that's why I love them. Some songs may have a deeper connection with me now, such as Kite, for certain reasons. And since U2 isn't trying to convert me or telling me that I'm a bad person since I don't believe I can't find anything to complain about.

Like all U2 albums, NLOTH triggered pretty much the same reactions as Lies shows with the smiley. At first listen, the songs are okay, but not overwhelming. Second listen is much better and then the songs really start to grow on me. GOYB is something like Vertigo or Miami, I tolerate it but I will never get :hyper: about it.
Magnificient is really great, and the other songs are amazing, too. I would also count Cedars of Lebanon as one of my favorites, even though normally I'm not a great fan of spoken songs. But here it fits really well.
The album is certainly very different once again. And that's a good thing. In some of the songs I think Bono could have left out the "oh's", but it's not that annoying. Still, I might have preferred them without.

Well, that's my opinion on that. :)

And I agree with Mrs Springsteen, with headphones it's a great listening experience. Many sounds you wouldn't hear on a normal stereo come through very clearly on headphones which adds kind of new layers to the overall sound. I like to hear those details which often get drowned out on stereos.

I liked it when I first heard it.

So far, I like Magnificent, FEZ, and Cedars of Lebanon.

I have to listen to it more to get an idea on how I feel about the other songs.

I've said this before:

There are a few turds on this album.

However as in life you need turds to appreciate the gems on this album.

The gems are:

Unknown Caller
Being Born
Magnificent.

The turds will remain nameless.

<>

ps -
You will find some FYMer have no inclination to listen to the new album, I've known of some that didn't even know how many members were in U2.

You will find some FYMer have no inclination to listen to the new album, I've known of some that didn't even know how many members were in U2.

I am sure that is true of one or two.

For reasons too boring to explain, I have no inclination to listen to the album, but I'd say I know more about U2 music than 99% of the population, and probably more than even 95% of members of this forum. I just find that one's musical interests develop and change over time.

I'd like to humbly request the mods humor me on this thread which is quite off topic, and consider not moving it to EYKIW.

The reason is simply this: I spend most of my time on Interference here in FYM...I don't usually have the time to go anywhere else. I feel like I "know" the FYM regulars the best of anyone on this forum.

Hi Sean,

I thought this thread would be more like this one:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f296/weigh-in-here-129907.html

I know you (Sean) are not one that needs to weigh in

But, god knows there are a lot of us FYMers that really do need to weigh in
and keep our mouths closed a bit more

as for NLOTH

I am watching letterman to take in the songs live, as much as possible

boots - bland
breath - good
magnificent - is very good

as for NLOTH

I am watching letterman to take in the songs live, as much as possible

boots - bland
breath - good
magnificent - is very good

I agree with this. Boots, IMO is a terrible song, possibly the worst song on that album, but I will admit there may be a contender or two on there.

I do like this album a lot, and I like it more than the previous two. I really didn't like Bomb, and when a friend of mine said that she only sees COBL as an enduring song off there, I would have to agree. The others I really can take or leave and some I actively dislike.

Mostly it is nice to have an album that isn't completely front-loaded. One criticism that I can fairly level is that I feel there is some disconnect between the Eno stuff and the rest of the album.

Haven't listened to it, probably won't for a while, I'd say that my music taste has shifted around, I'm not going to belittle U2 fans though.

Haven't listened to it, probably won't for a while, I'd say that my music taste has shifted around, I'm not going to belittle U2 fans though.

?

I dont mean this in a "omg wtf ur not a fan" way, but are you a U2 fan? I dont know anyone else on this forum who would not listen to their new album "for a while". :huh:

I am the interference contrarian.

Probably not a fan per se, I've grown up and my taste in music has diversified, it isn't as though I am bitching that I love U2 during ATYCLB, or they used to be awesome the band isn't any better or worse than they were - I just don't find them very interesting (as opposed to a group like The Japanese Popstars who sound different).

I'm not hanging out for new albums, obsessing over band members, making ultimate playlists, or arguing why x album is better than y; so I am probably not a fan.

The reason that I hang around is because FYM is a good political forum where I am a minority of one, and I don't like discussions where people agrees with me, that inhibits original thought.

If the cutting line between fandom is having an interest in listening to this album and not having any particular interest, then I am not a fan.

Just got Saint Etienne's career retrospective 'London Conversations'. Have been looking forward to this for months.

I'm not hanging out for new albums, obsessing over band members, making ultimate playlists, or arguing why x album is better than y; so I am probably not a fan.

Aww, I bet you have a super-secret alter and hang around in Pleba. :wink:

Totally agree on the spiritual aspect of this album, sean. I notice that with every album, but it does seem to be more overt in some places here while still maintaining its universal themes that draw so many people to U2 in the first place. My favorites are "Magnificent", "Moment of Surrender", and "Unknown Caller", but I really love them all. Someone brought this up in "Goal is Soul", but for those of you who grew up in the church in any way, you might notice that the last 1:30 of "UC" including Edge's guitar solo, is the melody of the hymn, "My Savior's Love". I remember my grandma and my mom singing that song all the time when I was little.:love:

I am the interference contrarian.

Probably not a fan per se, I've grown up and my taste in music has diversified, it isn't as though I am bitching that I love U2 during ATYCLB, or they used to be awesome the band isn't any better or worse than they were - I just don't find them very interesting (as opposed to a group like The Japanese Popstars who sound different).

The reason that I hang around is because FYM is a good political forum where I am a minority of one, and I don't like discussions where people agrees with me, that inhibits original thought.

Well, a non-fan just hanging out here I can understand, but you have a silver membership. :lol: I cant honestly say Id pay to be a part of a site dedicated to something I have little or no interest in. :hmm: Each to their own though.

I did have an interest in it, but interference has grown on me, I have no issue paying for a site which I use pretty frequently.

What the heck is this premium silver/gold thing anyway? I never even noticed it!

I am not an FYM'er, so forgive the intrusion. I have completely lost track of what sort of membership I have, or how I got it/what I paid for it. What price senility?

Me too.

I should probably check my bank account to see what else I'm paying for that I'm unaware of. :lol:

You in litigation Anitram?

Seems to be the only growth business in the lawyerly world at the moment.:wink:

I was disappointed in the last two U2 albums, but I love NLOTH. It has some depth and complexity, something that I've been missing from the band for a long time. I realize it isn't experimental or groundbreaking, but at this point in U2's career I'm not really expecting that.

You can check to see when your subscription runs out by clicking on User CP, then scroll to down Miscellaneous and clicking on Paid Subscriptions. :)

I think everyone who had a Premium account when the site changed hands got an automatic six month (or was it four? I forget which) extension. And there are now two levels of Premium, but I'm not sure which level does what. Everyone who was Premium when the changes were made got upgraded to Premium Gold, but can change that when they renew.

I think.

I was disappointed in the last two U2 albums, but I love NLOTH. It has some depth and complexity, something that I've been missing from the band for a long time. I realize it isn't experimental or groundbreaking, but at this point in U2's career I'm not really expecting that.

I feel the same way. I feel like it's an early album. I love Eno as well. It has a bit of mystery to it, that the previous two didn't have.

What is really amazing to me, is how much I love hearing these songs live, so I'd love to see a live CD in the vein of UABRS too this year.

The news of a more intimate, even more spiritual album coming out this year has me even more intrigued.

I'm into it.

Favorites -- MOS, UC, WAS, COL, but I love the rest of them too. ;)

I totally get that there might be FYM regulars that aren't necessarily huge U2 fans. After all there might be a reason they come mainly to this forum. But I'm curious as to how such people found Interference and thus FYM in the first place?

Were you more of a fan when you signed up, A_W, and then the interest faded over time but you stuck around for the scintillating discussion on global affairs?

I found Intereference while looking for tickets to U2's gigs in Japan (the site--in particular one member, Rambling Rose, I believe it was--was VERY helpful in that regard. I ended up holding a VIP pass and right up in front just across from Adam). It's funny because I was actually warned AWAY from FYM when I first joined. Don't go to that forum, I was told. It's just a bunch of arguing. I ignored their advice and the rest is history. :D

I've said this before:

There are a few turds on this album.

There's only one as far as I'm concerned. I don't really care for Stand Up Comedy. I'm not a big fan of Boots either, but I don't hate it.

Back
Top Bottom