FYM'ers Weigh In - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
It's a U2 song that finds Edge playing the "blues".
Silly me.

anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Silly me.
You'd think that Silver & Gold would be a popular FYM tune.

I am not an FYM'er, so forgive the intrusion. I have completely lost track of what sort of membership I have, or how I got it/what I paid for it. What price senility?

No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post

I am not an FYM'er, so forgive the intrusion. I have completely lost track of what sort of membership I have, or how I got it/what I paid for it. What price senility?
Me too.

I should probably check my bank account to see what else I'm paying for that I'm unaware of.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:37 AM
You in litigation Anitram?

Seems to be the only growth business in the lawyerly world at the moment.
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:37 PM
I was disappointed in the last two U2 albums, but I love NLOTH. It has some depth and complexity, something that I've been missing from the band for a long time. I realize it isn't experimental or groundbreaking, but at this point in U2's career I'm not really expecting that.
Bono's shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:37 PM
You can check to see when your subscription runs out by clicking on User CP, then scroll to down Miscellaneous and clicking on Paid Subscriptions.

I think everyone who had a Premium account when the site changed hands got an automatic six month (or was it four? I forget which) extension. And there are now two levels of Premium, but I'm not sure which level does what. Everyone who was Premium when the changes were made got upgraded to Premium Gold, but can change that when they renew.

I think.
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
I was disappointed in the last two U2 albums, but I love NLOTH. It has some depth and complexity, something that I've been missing from the band for a long time. I realize it isn't experimental or groundbreaking, but at this point in U2's career I'm not really expecting that.
I feel the same way. I feel like it's an early album. I love Eno as well. It has a bit of mystery to it, that the previous two didn't have.

What is really amazing to me, is how much I love hearing these songs live, so I'd love to see a live CD in the vein of UABRS too this year.

The news of a more intimate, even more spiritual album coming out this year has me even more intrigued.

I'm into it.

Favorites -- MOS, UC, WAS, COL, but I love the rest of them too.
MadelynIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
You in litigation Anitram?

Seems to be the only growth business in the lawyerly world at the moment.
I'm not, actually.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Haven't listened to it, probably won't for a while, I'd say that my music taste has shifted around, I'm not going to belittle U2 fans though.
I totally get that there might be FYM regulars that aren't necessarily huge U2 fans. After all there might be a reason they come mainly to this forum. But I'm curious as to how such people found Interference and thus FYM in the first place?

Were you more of a fan when you signed up, A_W, and then the interest faded over time but you stuck around for the scintillating discussion on global affairs?

I found Intereference while looking for tickets to U2's gigs in Japan (the site--in particular one member, Rambling Rose, I believe it was--was VERY helpful in that regard. I ended up holding a VIP pass and right up in front just across from Adam). It's funny because I was actually warned AWAY from FYM when I first joined. Don't go to that forum, I was told. It's just a bunch of arguing. I ignored their advice and the rest is history.
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I've said this before:

There are a few turds on this album.

There's only one as far as I'm concerned. I don't really care for Stand Up Comedy. I'm not a big fan of Boots either, but I don't hate it.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
What the heck is this premium silver/gold thing anyway? I never even noticed it!

Judas preferred silver (30 pieces)
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:37 PM
I'm nothing more than a casual fan although I respect them and really like several of their albums. I discovered Interference during a brief, intense flirtation with the band, but I stayed because I liked the offtopic forums, particularly FYM. (I will admit to enjoying some of the arguments in EYKIW). I'll probably get the CD as a gift next month, so will give it a good listen then. Although I'm not a huge fan of U2, I am a huge fan of many U2 fans.
BonosSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #33
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:37 AM
I've only had maybe a half-dozen listens to the album so far...a couple distracted listens to the MySpace stream to ensure I wanted to buy it (like several others here, I wasn't at all a HTDAAB fan), then 3 or 4 listens since buying the CD. I'm really, really enjoying it. It's very much its own album in mood and style, but for me it unmistakably has that monumental presence I've always loved about U2, and which I just didn't hear much of on the last 2 or 3 albums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
There's only one as far as I'm concerned. I don't really care for Stand Up Comedy.
That's the most awkward one for me as well (and is anyone else weirdly reminded of Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin by it? ). It's an OK song IMO, but the lyric has a throwaway feel to me; it might work in some other lineup, but as it is, it seems kinda pointless with reference to the thematic flow of the rest of the album, so far as I can determine that. Personally, I'm not too fond of I'll Go Crazy either--it tries hard, I'll grant it that, but I was left unconvinced there's a really great song in there--but at least that one seems to tie in somewhat with Boots (which I like; it's nothing deep obviously, but fun, in a restlessly, nervily dreamy kind of way). The closing quartet of songs is gorgeous, and I love the first two as well. I'm not as wild about MoS and Unknown Caller as many others seem to be--I find the former 'nice' but bland in a way too many ATYCLB songs were IMO, and the latter fun but a bit too clever for its own good--but still, they're fine; there's nothing eminently dislikeable about them for me. Really, there's not a single song on here I actively dislike, which is great. I think several of these songs are gonna be fantastic live, wish I could see that.

I agree there's a lot of 'spiritual' material here, albeit all in a familiarly U2 sort of way...redemption through love, redemption through hope, redemption through transforming toil into praise, etc. Even though I'm not highly fond of it, I think Unknown Caller seems to hint at an intriguing notion that grace is in a sense comically, existentially absurd as much as it is powerful and transformative. And I love the fact that much like AB, which I suspect will always remain my favorite U2 album, NLOTH ends not with some feelgood blaze of hope'n'joy but with (in this case) the wryly melancholy insights of someone who's managed to survive, but nonetheless missed all his best shots at redemption: that even in hell on earth, with no relief in sight, sometimes you can still stay centered and keep moving forward if you 'choose your enemies carefully 'cos they will define you...they're not there in the beginning but when your story ends/gonna last with you longer than your friends.'

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm an FYMer on a break (mostly) and a great big fan who loves NLOTH, and who tremendously enjoyed the previous two albums, for very different reasons. i loved ATYCLB becasue i found it warm and welcoming at a time in my life when i needed it, and i loved Bomb because i found it adrenalized and thrilling, though both work better as (and are intended as) collections of singles.

NLOTH is clearly the most accomplished album of the past three.

unlike others, i'm a pretty ardent supporter of "crazy tonight" (despite the title which makes me seeth with anger), and if you don't like it on the album, check out the Letterman performance. it's pretty special.

love the title track. i like "magnificent" but not as much as the rest in here. i think MOS is their most purely beautiful and perhaps most despairing track ever. UC is interesting, but i don't quite think it works. love "crazy." kind of meh on boots. i'm also a defender of SUC because i think it's incredibly well constructed and i actually think a lot of the lyrics actually work well with a song that sounds like it's bouncing around a room like a rubber ball in a racquetball court. "fez" is among my favorties on the album. i think "WAS" is good but not quite great, there's something that doesn't quite cohere and it's less than the sum of it's quite lovely parts. "breathe" is good on the album, it's a killer live. and COL is interesting and artistic and actually does have something to say, and it says it pretty well.

so i love the album, couldn't be happier, and what's even better is how well these songs are coming across live.
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:46 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post

(and is anyone else weirdly reminded of Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin by it? ).
We'll I don't know about that, but all I can hear is a Christian artist by the name of Michael W. Smith. It's very disconcerting. Seriously, do a youtube search of one of his songs--say "I Still Have the Dream". (But, Irvine, I suggest you don't do it. I don't want to ruin the song for you).

As I said in one of those appreciation threads it doesn't really bother me that much--I like Smith well enough as cheesy as he can be. But it feels odd coming from U2. I don't hate the song though. . .don't skip it or anything, but it's not my favorite.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. It's really interesting to hear what you all think.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
Although I'm not a huge fan of U2, I am a huge fan of many U2 fans.
Maybe that's why we get along-opposites I'm a huge fan of you though.

Whatever "huge" is, I'm still a fan of U2's music but of the (at times schlocky) hype surrounding them, some of which is due to the music industry being the way it is and some... I'll just say other..no. As for fans there are good apples and bad apples. Good experiences and bad, I've had and seen both. Sometimes the bad has influenced my interest in U2 in a negative way, but you just have to filter it out and enjoy them in a solitary way on your own terms.

I think life changes your fandom, getting older and all that and having other priorities and values. I guess I just don't have the patience and/or inclination for much of it.
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 02:37 AM
I bought NLOTH yesterday. And being one of the older folks, here at Interference. I like the new album. I can put it on my stereo and let it play, through. I don't have to jump around songs. I like the moodiness of the music and dark reflections of thought. It reminds me of Lou Reed.
A stor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
(But, Irvine, I suggest you don't do it. I don't want to ruin the song for you).

i'm totally fine with the religion of the band, and Bono in particular, and i like much of the coded but clear biblical references and slippery wordplay when it comes to addressing big theological concerns. i've always liked that about them.

i just get queasy when, 1) conservative Christians think that Bono is Really One Of Them, and 2) every lyric by the band is intended to be a statement of praise and worship. that Baptist review that someone posted in another thread was a good example of that. it was a well-argued and thought-out review, no question, but i think it started from several incorrect base assumptions, that we need to "get on our boots" and worship God so that we can remove the "line on the horizon" between heaven and earth. that, to me, was just a bit too much. what makes Bono credible, and interesting, imho, is how much doubt and humility is there in the face of the big questions, and his lack of certainty and his continual crisis of faith.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #39
Refugee

Irvine,

when you say
Quote:
conservative Christians think that Bono is Really One Of Them
I think the key here is that, I'm sure most conservative, and liberal, and well whatever kind of Christians think he is one of them.

And I'm pretty sure that he is.

At least if you believe he is the messiah.
MadelynIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

i totally understand that, it's just when i hear things about how, since Bono believes in the divinity of Jesus Christ, then that means that Bono also believes that the Hindus are going to Hell ... that is not Bono at all. it's the difference between pointing out a commonality between yourself and Bono, and the assumption that because you have this point in common, therefore, Bono must logically believe everything else that you believe.

that's all.