FYM Travel Destinations - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 06:33 AM
FYM Travel Destinations

I am figuring out what to do next year, a gap before tackling a PhD and carbon chewing international travel is on my agenda, I have a few destinations that I think would be really interesting to visit and want to know what places fellow FYM people dream of visiting.

Some places I dream of visiting

Iran - so much history coupled to a fascinating culture, the most realistic destination for a month or two at the end of 2009
Iraqi Kurdistan - it looks like a beautiful place, and relatively peaceful as well
North Korea - I want to see Oceania
United States - a road trip across the mainland
Argentina - visit Patagonia
Russia - the fossils of the white sea as well as the volcanos of Kamchatka
Cuba - sanctions mean its like stepping back to the 50's

Who knows, enough experience could turn me into some jaded Grahame Greene style expat.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 03:33 PM
The middle east and north africa is definitely at the top of my list, but I'm a female who likes to travel alone, so I'd have to adjust my travel style.

My next trip would probably be to south and/or central america.

I also think the Trans Siberian railroad (in the summer) would be cool to do, getting off along the way of course.

And cuba would be awesome. Another back-in-time destination is Moldova, particularly Transdniestr. I've been there, it's trippy.
__________________

__________________
Varitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 03:33 PM
As for the expat thing, as a frequent traveler but newly minted expat, it is a very different thing to actually live somewhere than to travel...but that's just me being touche.
__________________
Varitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 06:33 AM
But I will be an expat one way or another, what type is a function of experience
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Who knows, enough experience could turn me into some jaded Grahame Greene style expat.

no matter where you go, keep a journal and write down as many details about that day that you can remember, especially the quirky stuff that you'll likely forget. a journal is better than a photograph -- reading what you wrote years later brings you right back to that day, and the memories are quite vivid.

me, i'm all hot for SE Asia and South Africa these days.

but, me, i'm such a travel slut, i'll do anything.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,997
Local Time: 03:33 PM
Honestly I just want to go to Disney World, I've never been there
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
But I will be an expat one way or another, what type is a function of experience
I was just saying that simply traveling/passing through does not make one an expat. The traveling lifestyle and the expat lifestyle have some things in common but many things are different.
__________________
Varitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
I am figuring out what to do next year, a gap before tackling a PhD and carbon chewing international travel is on my agenda, I have a few destinations that I think would be really interesting to visit and want to know what places fellow FYM people dream of visiting.

Some places I dream of visiting

Iran - so much history coupled to a fascinating culture, the most realistic destination for a month or two at the end of 2009
Iraqi Kurdistan - it looks like a beautiful place, and relatively peaceful as well
North Korea - I want to see Oceania
United States - a road trip across the mainland
Argentina - visit Patagonia
Russia - the fossils of the white sea as well as the volcanos of Kamchatka
Cuba - sanctions mean its like stepping back to the 50's

Who knows, enough experience could turn me into some jaded Grahame Greene style expat.
Join the Marines. They'll probably travel to a few of those places in the next few years. And THEY PAY YOU!
__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 03:33 PM
i'm still wondering if there isn't some kind of super subtle political subtext here ... those are quite unusual places to want to travel ... but better get the US done first, because if you visit the rest of those places in a short period of time and then try to enter the US, i think you're going to find your arse shackled up in Gitmo where they'll torture you by threatening to flush a geology textbook down the toilet.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i'm still wondering if there isn't some kind of super subtle political subtext here ... those are quite unusual places to want to travel ...
Like a code? Like during WWII when the Nazi's put coordinates in ads for, like, dice or something? That's awesome.
__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
Like a code? Like during WWII when the Nazi's put coordinates in ads for, like, dice or something? That's awesome.


so long as it involves the decapitation of Jon Bon Jovi, then i'm all for it.

and that the Americans take credit for it, even if the Brits actually broke the code.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
Join the Marines. They'll probably travel to a few of those places in the next few years. And THEY PAY YOU!
You should visit Long Island, A Wanderer.
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitek View Post
I was just saying that simply traveling/passing through does not make one an expat. The traveling lifestyle and the expat lifestyle have some things in common but many things are different.
I know, and I have to defend an inelegant statement.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 03:33 PM
I haven't been to the top 3 or Argentina.

I really want to go to Nepal/Bhutan in the next 5 years. I'm an outdoorsy person so that seems fabulous to me. I will also do a Namibia/Botswana/Angola/Zambia trip probably in 2010, for many reasons, but mostly I want to sand surf.

I was going to go to New Zealand, Australia and Fiji next summer but work may prevent me from doing so (not enough time). If I can't head out there, I'm going to the Canadian Rockies for some hardcore outdoors stuff and then to Hawaii to hop around the islands for a while.
__________________
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 09:33 PM
A friend of mine does his exchange semester in Kelowna, Canada. And he has transportation every weekend. I'm jealous.
__________________

__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com