Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Well, Justin Raimondo and Attila the Hun have really nothing in common, seeing as Justin Raimondo's over-riding political principle is being anti-war.
A tongue-in-cheek comment, but it appears that Justin's ideology goes far beyond being "anti-war" considering all the venom he throws at anyone who pursues gay rights. What that has to do with "war" is beyond me.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
Indeed. and the way the police officer tries to retaliate reminds me of a knight from Holy Grail trying to keep his facemask from falling down. Uncoordinated twit

Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Absolutely fascinating coverage.
I'm riveted. I've just gone green in more than one way. I was trying to decipher how to open my server to get information out of Iran.
But it's way over my head but I would do it if I could.

This is history people, pay attention.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:12 AM
one thing this has made clear

the Islamic Republic is more of a military dictatorship than a theological dictatorship.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:12 PM
Anderson Cooper said that twitter was scheduled to go down for maintenance yesterday but remained open since it is one of the big forms of communication between Iranians and the outside world. I too learned about most of this stuff through twitter, but reported on another site. Pretty amazing the age we are in now where the eyewitness account holds double the importance of regular reporting. I recall seeing #CNNfail as a topic trend on Saturday because of the lack of reporting. It should have been #MSMfail, quite frankly. Iran is still a top trend on twitter.

Anderson also interviewed an Iranian student who reported that people have been leaving their doors unlocked so that protesters have a place to run to and hide if they are caught in the brawl. It's fascinating what is happening over there. I wish I had the energy/time right now to really delve into the topic and learn all about it, but soundbites will have to do until later this week.

Admittedly, I don't know anything prior to Friday, so is Moussavi not as insane and radical as Ahmedinejad? (Woohoo, I spelled it right the first time around!)
Is he a better choice for peace or would he simply continue "being a threat?"
Old 06-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
Admittedly, I don't know anything prior to Friday, so is Moussavi not as insane and radical as Ahmedinejad? (Woohoo, I spelled it right the first time around!)
Is he a better choice for peace or would he simply continue "being a threat?"
I honestly think it's same shit, different name to be honest. But he is really not the point here so maybe it doesn't matter.

I am not so sure that all this which is happening this week is going to result in anything either, but on the other hand, I'm hopeful that I'm wrong.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Looks like the people have gotten their message out loud and clear. A recount is going to be held.

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Iran 'to hold election recount'

Whether or not it will make a difference is another issue.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #38
Refugee

Local Time: 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I am not so sure that all this which is happening this week is going to result in anything either, but on the other hand, I'm hopeful that I'm wrong.
I'm still a bit thunderstruck so this may not be as articulate or complete as I may like, but I believe the impact of this is MASSIVE regardless of whether there is leadership change in Iran or not.

American and Iranian millenials are not enemies and may have much more in common than either was aware. Who'd have thought that Twitter would serve a useful purpose and bring that into focus. Truly amazing.

This has also opened many eyes to the limitations of MSM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
I'm still a bit thunderstruck so this may not be as articulate or complete as I may like, but I believe the impact of this is MASSIVE regardless of whether there is leadership change in Iran or not.

American and Iranian millenials are not enemies and may have much more in common than either was aware. Who'd have thought that Twitter would serve a useful purpose and bring that into focus. Truly amazing.

This has also opened many eyes to the limitations of MSM.

great post.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

When I was introduced to Twitter it was 2006 and a guest speaker came to our Intro to Mass Media class to talk about various social networking sites. Twitter always stood out in my mind. Half of me thought it was useful (much more user-friendly than RSS feeds), half of me thought it was going to be myspace 3.0. I was right, I guess. I wish I would have put my money on twitter. I would have been somewhat rich.

I was watching Star Trek last night and they were talking to some cryogenically unfrozen humans and explaining to them the future. They stated that television was a medium that died in 2040. While I don't think television is going anywhere, I think it's main use in the future is going to be purely for entertainment. There's no point in sitting through an hour of news coverage if you are only interested in one or two topic and can just as easily google it on your computer and read/watch it there at a moment's notice. I think news channels will become more opinion and less fact in the immediate future.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #41
Refugee

Quote:

I was watching Star Trek last night and they were talking to some cryogenically unfrozen humans and explaining to them the future. They stated that television was a medium that died in 2040. While I don't think television is going anywhere, I think it's main use in the future is going to be purely for entertainment. There's no point in sitting through an hour of news coverage if you are only interested in one or two topic and can just as easily google it on your computer and read/watch it there at a moment's notice. I think news channels will become more opinion and less fact in the immediate future.
i think it's happened already.

the fact that shit celebrities do is covered on major "news" stations almost more than "real news" makes me sick.

the fact that we have "commentators" who pawn their opinions as fact and pretty much tell people how to think, and the fact people seem to eat it up, also makes me sick.

but biggest of all:

TOO MUCH MINDLESS REALITY BULLSHIT! no wonder people are getting stupider and stupider
Old 06-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's only a certain population that is getting "stupider", but there have always been stupid people. Some women committed suicide when they learned Rudolph Valentino had died.
I think we're going to see the sort of prestige that Edward R. Murrow and his contemporary companions had shift over to the internet. Whether or not these individuals will be official is still up in the air. You can be a genius and never go to college either.
There is still real news out there on real channels with genuine investigation. But if you are looking at O'Reilly or Maddow for your news fix, you're stupid. You might as well be watching Daisy of Love on VH1.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #43
Refugee

Quote:
. Some women committed suicide when they learned Rudolph Valentino had died.
natural selection at its finest.

Quote:
But if you are looking at O'Reilly or Maddow for your news fix, you're stupid. You might as well be watching Daisy of Love on VH1.
i used to watch O'Reilly every night with my dad, but then i woke up from the spell and started thinking for myself. my dad still watches him though.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
natural selection at its finest.
Just ignorance at the time. If you had never seen moving pictures before you jumped at the end of The Great Train Robbery when the bandit "shot the audience." Women fell in love with Rudolph Valentino as if he were really there. Infatuation was unheard of while love was very real. I feel sorry for them, but as you can see we as a species have grown up a bit since then. I doubt if the Jonas Brothers offed themselves anyone would follow suit.

Quote:
i used to watch him every night with my dad, but then i woke up from the spell and started thinking for myself. my dad still watches him though.
I don't think it's a big deal to watch it if you realize that you are just getting your ego stroked and are not really learning anything. Like I said, for entertainment value.

Anyway, back on topic, twitter is going nuts right now. Reports of students in Tehran being told to flee their dorms, the army coming in to disperse protesters and various protests taking place in Toronto and LA.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:12 AM
Quote:
There's no point in sitting through an hour of news coverage if you are only interested in one or two topic and can just as easily google it on your computer and read/watch it there at a moment's notice. .
True, T V is not very good. PBS News hour might be the best T V source.

Printed news that has an editor with some accountability is better.

There are a lot of things I don't know.

I try not to have an opinion on everything.

I remember once hearing the question, "Do stupid people know they are stupid?"

I thought sure they do. The answer was no.

People are getting stupider these days,
by only seeking out the couple stories that interest them.
And when they go to google they tend to end on sites that validate their already formed bias.

I take the time to read entire newspapers. How else can one become reasonably informed or a wide variety of events?

I am rarely stunned or surprised by 'big events' out of nowhere.