Frequently Asked Questions about Libertarianism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first question, you did not answer.

Your reply to my second question.....

I am a farmer and I do plant and harvest a lot of my food.

Can we now get back to to the topic?

I don't have the answer to the first question, and I'm not the one that posted something that caused you to ask the question.

And the topic is damaged because nobody seems to actually have questions for you. So there is no topic right now, as you surely have noticed.

That being said......

I do have a question for you:

Is a school, or a school district prohibiting their cafeterias from serving a certain salad dressing an effective example of the "government" becoming more and more Orwellian, or it an example of a school or a school district making a nutrition-based decision, be it a good or bad one?

I mean, I might be wrong here, but, I'm guessing that your state, city or local government is not responsible for the salad dressing decision, that it was the school board or a principal or a University President (not sure what level of school we're talking about here).

How do Libertarians deal with those that abuse or take advantage of the system? I'm all for a system based on personal responsibility, but I think we see time and time again there are enough people that laugh in the face of that way of thinking and abuse the system. From an economics perspective we can see this happening now, as we saw it almost a decade ago with Enron. It seems like the libertarian free market would say such actions are fine - regulation being bad and all - but I think common sense dictates that something needs to be in place to prevent those occurrences from happening.

Ok, I'll ask once again because I truly am curious as to the answer...

Libertarianism is bound to fail. With practically ZERO regulation, people will take advantage of the system. It is only natural that some people's own self-interest will override their sense of morals. and with no goverment regulation, we will have a mess. Government IS NOT the opposite of freedom. In some cases, it can be, but in many other cases Government is there to ensure that there is freedom and fairness in our society. The real goal is, how do we make a smarter and more efficient government that has more of the people's issue in mind instead of lobbyist. Libertarianism is wrong because the focus on eliminating government as to say it will increase personal responsibility, instead of focusing on how to better help our democracy and government that is supposed to represent the people.

Biggest load of waffling, evading, forelock tuggin' shite I've ever read on here. I'm not interested in making government 'smart' or 'efficient' or any of that shite. I'm interesting in getting rid of it, and stopping the massive drain
on the resources of individuals and families (it's OUR MONEY, for fuck's sakes).

So is libertarianism about getting rid of government, or not?

Iron Horse says 'no', Financeguy says emphatically 'yes'.

I say you're all living in some kind of pre 1760 la la land. Fairyland stuff. Government isn't going anywhere, short of a civilisational collapse. I am less interested in such buzzwords as efficiency, but in that instance, I am very interested in seeing it firmly tied to a democratic ('of the people') tradition.

Here's where you're full of shit: you go on about community and community values, but piss on anything that could realise it at any scale larger than a village or small town. That simply isn't the scale on which modern society operates. That's MY fucking manifesto, and you can all choke on it.

(it's OUR MONEY, for fuck's sakes).

no, no it's not. bullshit.

the government funded the public schools i went to, that my parents went to. it built the roads i traveled on. it kept me safe, it kept me secure, and it did the same for my peers. who i am today has very much to do with the type of government under which i was born and in which i now participate as an informed, voting citizen.

it's not "MY" money. it's money that i, in part, earn for work done, and that i give a substantial amount back to the society which has done a really remarkable job in providing opportunity. not a perfect job, perhaps not even a good job, but still a remarkable job. it's absolute crap to think that i somehow pulled myself up by my bootstraps and earned this all by my damn self and fuck off, all's y'alls.

there is a price to civilization. there's a price to organization. there's a price to be paid to participate in a society that precisely enables us to make money. people need to stop crediting themselves so much for their successes (and for their failures).

and, by your logic, i can abort my damn fetus whenever i please because it's MY money that's paying for the abortion.

there is a price to civilization. there's a price to organization. there's a price to be paid to participate in a society that precisely enables us to make money. people need to stop crediting themselves so much for their successes (and for their failures)..

Nicely and succinctly said.

I cannot get regular salad dress in my school's cafeteria because it has been banned by the federal government. The salad dressing they serve is low-fat and sweetened with aspartame.

First of all, what's "regular salad dressing"?

Secondly, where's your evidence that the federal government has banned salad dressings?

Secondly, where's your evidence that the federal government has banned salad dressings?

What is "regular salad dressing?"

Any salad dressing that does not have non-fat, low-fat, or diet posted on the label.

What evidence that the federal government has banned certain whole foods?

Reading is fun :)
School Meals Regulations

What is "regular salad dressing?"

Any salad dressing that does not have non-fat, low-fat, or diet posted on the label.

What evidence that the federal government has banned certain whole foods?

Reading is fun :)
School Meals Regulations

Reading is fun, isn't it? Why did you rephrase my question and then still put it in quotes?

What you stated was wrong, period.

Thinking is fun.

Reading is fun, isn't it? Why did you rephrase my question and then still put it in quotes?

What you stated was wrong, period.

Thinking is fun.

Please quote me on what question I rephrased or question I stated wrong.

Only "regular salad dressing" is in quotes, where did I go so wrong?

Yes, I read it wrong, you didn't put it in quotes. My bad. But you rephrased the question because you obviously knew your first comment was incorrect.

Biggest load of waffling, evading, forelock tuggin' shite I've ever read on here. I'm not interested in making government 'smart' or 'efficient' or any of that shite. I'm interesting in getting rid of it, and stopping the massive drain
on the resources of individuals and families (it's OUR MONEY, for fuck's sakes).

Uhm, yeah. Ok, maybe that's a bit strong. :reject:

I don't have the answer to the first question, and I'm not the one that posted something that caused you to ask the question.

And the topic is damaged because nobody seems to actually have questions for you. So there is no topic right now, as you surely have noticed.

That being said......

I do have a question for you:

Is a school, or a school district prohibiting their cafeterias from serving a certain salad dressing an effective example of the "government" becoming more and more Orwellian, or it an example of a school or a school district making a nutrition-based decision, be it a good or bad one?

I mean, I might be wrong here, but, I'm guessing that your state, city or local government is not responsible for the salad dressing decision, that it was the school board or a principal or a University President (not sure what level of school we're talking about here).

Whenever you're ready....

No problem, thanks for your reply.

What was my first question and why was it incorrect.
I"m still a bit hazy.

You claimed all regular salad dressing had been banned by the Federal Governments in school cafeterias which is simply not true.

I cannot get regular salad dress in my school's cafeteria because it has been banned by the federal government.

So is American ingenuity, from what I hear. Get yourself a small container, and take all the high fat salad dressing to school you want. Or a stick of lard.

Or maybe it's just easier to cry "unnecessary government intervention?"

no, because, you see, if he were to bring his own, the food police would make him empty the contents of his teacher's lunch bag out on the table and he'd have to explain every last ingredient, like going through airport security or worse.

it's totally true. i heard Obama talking about it.

Back
Top Bottom