Frequently Asked Questions about Libertarianism - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:03 AM
What do you reckon is an appropriate libertarian response towards the US police tasering 76 year olds (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,1744612.story ) and the large number of shootings US police commit each year - far larger per capita than any comparable Western democracy?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
What do you reckon is an appropriate libertarian response towards the US police tasering 76 year olds (Wyoming town roiled by police use of Taser on 76-year-old tractor driver during parade -- latimes.com ) and the large number of shootings US police commit each year - far larger per capita than any comparable Western democracy?

Will reply

Old 09-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #18
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
How do Libertarians deal with those that abuse or take advantage of the system? I'm all for a system based on personal responsibility, but I think we see time and time again there are enough people that laugh in the face of that way of thinking and abuse the system. From an economics perspective we can see this happening now, as we saw it almost a decade ago with Enron. It seems like the libertarian free market would say such actions are fine - regulation being bad and all - but I think common sense dictates that something needs to be in place to prevent those occurrences from happening.
Was there something wrong with my question?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:
Was there something wrong with my question?
You don't copy and paste often enough, Mike.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #20

I generally prefer to not make any sense using my own words. Does that make sense?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I generally prefer to not make any sense using my own words. Does that make sense?
I'm not sure what you mean.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #22

In what has to be the least shocking finding in scientific history, market research firm Pear Analytics has found that 40% of Twitter messages are “pointless babble”. The BBC reports on this new social media survey, which could actually mean very good things for the still-new social outlet. Pear found that most Tweets were either babble, or IM-style messages. Only 8.7% of sent messages had any “value”, as Pear defined it.
In order to conduct this study, Pear yanked 2,000 random messages and split them into one of six categories. All messages either counted as news, spam, self-promotion, pointless babble, conversational, or 'pass-along' value. The problem with this measuring system should be obvious; only the messages with 'pass along' value were considered to have any sort of value by Pear.
The fact of the matter is, Twitter is a social media site. None of the messages sent through it have any concrete value, save for the value placed upon them by the persons sending and reading them. The fact that people are willing to use Twitter to share whatever random thoughts happen to be on the top of their head at the time of messaging is a good thing for the website. That's what's going to keep Twitter in business.
Every tweet isn't going to be sent from some Iranian revolutionary or Nobel laureate. Those messages are more interesting to more people, but they're also few and far between. Pointless babble is the lifeblood of social media outlets, and it is the only reason any of them are around when the revolutionaries and visionaries around the world need them to spread a message. Without millions of John Q. Internets sending out tweets to warn their friends whenever they eat a sandwich or have a bowel movement, Twitter would never have gotten to where it is right now.
Pear Analytics intends to repeat this study every quarter to see if usage trends change, but I can tell you right now that they're wasting their time. Things will always fluctuate, but the vast majority of messages on Twitter will never have value to anyone but the people they are sent by and meant for. Human communication is usually pretty banal and boring, but that doesn't mean it's without value. Sometimes its just about the magic of social interaction.
And a little pointless babble here and there never hurt anyone.

Better?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

I like it better when you don't make any sense using your own words.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #24

You just told me to cut and paste more...make up your mind.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Which has exactly squat to do with police tasering a 76 year old man.

Iron Horse's answer to Financeguy, that is. Silly me for thinking this thread would see some real action in the meantime.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #26
Refugee

Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Libertarianism is bound to fail. With practically ZERO regulation, people will take advantage of the system. It is only natural that some people's own self-interest will override their sense of morals. and with no goverment regulation, we will have a mess. Government IS NOT the opposite of freedom. In some cases, it can be, but in many other cases Government is there to ensure that there is freedom and fairness in our society. The real goal is, how do we make a smarter and more efficient government that has more of the people's issue in mind instead of lobbyist. Libertarianism is wrong because the focus on eliminating government as to say it will increase personal responsibility, instead of focusing on how to better help our democracy and government that is supposed to represent the people.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #27
you are what you is

are there really any questions being frequently asked about Libertarianism?
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooropop40 View Post
Libertarianism is bound to fail. With practically ZERO regulation, people will take advantage of the system. It is only natural that some people's own self-interest will override their sense of morals. and with no goverment regulation, we will have a mess. Government IS NOT the opposite of freedom. In some cases, it can be, but in many other cases Government is there to ensure that there is freedom and fairness in our society. The real goal is, how do we make a smarter and more efficient government that has more of the people's issue in mind instead of lobbyist. Libertarianism is wrong because the focus on eliminating government as to say it will increase personal responsibility, instead of focusing on how to better help our democracy and government that is supposed to represent the people.

I have not said that the focus of Libertarians is to eliminate government.

You are correct in saying that the government should protect the people, insure freedom, and fairness.

As a Libertarian and a U.S. citizen, my concern is the increasing growth of the federal government and its increasing meddling in our personal lives.
(refer to my earlier post concerning the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights)

I cannot get regular salad dress in my school's cafeteria because it has been banned by the federal government. The salad dressing they serve is low-fat and sweetened with aspartame.

Just one example.

My fear is that one day it will not just be food that will be regulated , but thought and free speech.

I cannot understand why some people seem to be fine with letting big brother get bigger and bigger.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #29
you are what you is

based on projections regarding global supply and demand of food you might wanna prepare yourself for far more intruding regulations on food
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
based on projections regarding global supply and demand of food you might wanna prepare yourself for far more intruding regulations on food

What projections about global supply or food?

The earth is a glorious provider of food.

What's the problem?