Free Speech

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. We have the first Amendment. If we lock up Neo-Nazis. We'll have to lock up Farakhan. And is a church service open to these laws if they preach against certain behaviors. I'm I allowed to say I think getting a sex change is a conscience choice and not following the path of some embedded gender identity.

Oh wait the cops are knocking. They saw my post. Gotta run !

I'm I allowed to say I think getting a sex change is a conscience choice and not following the path of some embedded gender identity.

Yeah I'd definitely get a "sex change" knowing that I would spend the rest of my being abused by bigots and far more likely to kill myself. Great "choice".

Honestly? I think free speech is great and all, but that people may be damn well condemned for what they say. You're allowed to say everything, but that also means you are responsible for what you say and should face the consequences of it. I'm not sure these consequences have to necessarily be enforced by law though. In some cases, absolutely, but sadly people have the right to be narrow minded bigots just as much as people have the right to be normal human beings.

I think that as long as one isn't yelling fire in a crowded theater, to borrow an oft-abused cliché, free speech should be nigh completely unregulated. Obviously, when it crosses the line into inciting violence (and there's likely a good conversation to be had about what constitutes "inciting violence"), it can no longer be protected. But, short of that, I can't think of any speech I'd be in favor of criminalizing.

Free speech doesn't mean consequence free speech.

You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater.

Just speakin' your Christian beliefs may lead to people boycotting your business. That's not bullying.

I never need to respect anyone's beliefs, just their right to hold and express them.

All that said, I have issues with "hate speech" and "hate crimes." These are complex things. I wouldn't agree that hate speech should be "illegal" as this silly, click bait headline suggests.

The right to hold them and express them doesn't mean they get to go unchallenged, or that you and your business won't face social opprobrium should you express them.

This is well worth reading, I think, whether you are a liberal or a conservative.

The writer is a liberal professor.

"Instead of focusing on the rightness or wrongness (or even acceptability) of the materials we reviewed in class, the complaint would center solely on how my teaching affected the student's emotional state. As I cannot speak to the emotions of my students, I could not mount a defense about the acceptability of my instruction. This shift in student teacher dynamic placed many of the traditional goals of higher education — such as having students challenge their beliefs — off limits."

All of it here >

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/college-professor-afraid

Interesting at times, although self absorbed and misguided at times.

I think the problem is multi-faceted and has nothing to do with right and left. We see this issue in here; we have a growing population that just doesn't know how to engage, they were never equipped to do so, and when they try and speak their side and come upon the facts or questions that challenge them they cry victim rather than back away and rethink or research. And then you have another side of the factor that has become too sensitive to anything labeled a victim, the litigious issues have become so overwhelming in certain arenas.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This is well worth reading, I think, whether you are a liberal or a conservative.

The writer is a liberal professor.

"Instead of focusing on the rightness or wrongness (or even acceptability) of the materials we reviewed in class, the complaint would center solely on how my teaching affected the student's emotional state. As I cannot speak to the emotions of my students, I could not mount a defense about the acceptability of my instruction. This shift in student teacher dynamic placed many of the traditional goals of higher education — such as having students challenge their beliefs — off limits."

All of it here >

I'm a liberal professor, and my liberal students terrify me - Vox

I was a liberal adjunct professor at a large university until 2013, and my liberal students never scared me at all.

I covered sensitive topics in my courses, including rape, capital punishment, female genital mutilation, and disputed accounts of mass atrocities. Our classroom debates were contentious, and forced students to examine their own biases. I kept an "on-call" list that pressured students to participate actively in those discussions. I did not use trigger warnings.

I never had any complaints.

I bring up my own experiences as a reminder that if the plural of anecdote isn't data, the singular of it sure as hell isn't, either. The fact that I enjoyed my time teaching doesn't tell you anything about the state of education in America — and neither does the fact that the pseudonymous author of this Vox article is a liberal professor who is terrified of his liberal students.

And yet the response to his article, which as of this writing has now been shared more than 190,000 times on Facebook, shows it has struck a nerve. This is something people are genuinely concerned about — enough that the thoughts of an unidentified man from the Midwest feel like a revelation, as if some secret truth everyone suspected has finally been exposed.

In other words, it's truthy: it offers a conclusion that feels as if it should be true, even though it isn't accompanied by much in the way of actual evidence. In this case, that truthy conclusion is that the rise of identity politics is doing real harm — that this new kind of discourse, whether you call it "identity politics" or "call-out culture" or "political correctness," is not just annoying or upsetting to the people it targets, but a danger to academic freedom and therefore an actual substantive problem to be addressed.

I was a liberal adjunct professor. My liberal students didn’t scare me at all. - Vox

truthiness.

The initial article doesn't go into too much detail about his or her methods in the class. But if a teacher is pushing certain perspectives on the students, there is bound to be push-back, and rightly so. Teachers should discuss relevant social issues, but the role is to bring light to the underlying causes and present differing ideas, letting the students arrive at their own conclusions. I firmly believe it is not the job of a teacher to push ideals of right and wrong on students, except in egregious cases like hate speech etc.

Back
Top Bottom