FOX - Racist bastards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CTU2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So I'm watching TV last night, and the President is on, and as we all well know when he's on, he's ON. All 4 networks, no exceptions (trust me, Bush has pre-empted House and induced copious swearing around my house). But I flip past FOX, no Obama, they're showing one of their regular shows instead. Interesting.

Their excuse was they have Fox News(who aired it) but I think American Idol was on last night and they didn't want that effected... :shrug:

did all the other networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, HBO, WB, CSPAN, MSNBC, PBS) preempt their programs for the press conference?

If Fox News carried the conference I don't see any reason why the FOX channel should have carried it as well.

I guess the question is whether they would have broadcasted it if Bush had still been president

personally I have no clue
we are safe from Fox etc over here in The Netherlands
(as far as I know)

And so you're willing to jump to the conclusion that Fox is racist?

As has been said, there's Fox News. Don't worry, I'm sure if people wanted to watch the guy, they could have found a network, cable or otherwise. I heard yesterday that when things like this preempt regular shows, that NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox lose a combined $20 million, and maybe Fox just wasn't willing to do that.

If Fox News carried the conference I don't see any reason why the FOX channel should have carried it as well.

FOXNews is a cable channel and not available to everyone. FOX is a "free" channel.

I doubt HBO & WB covered it. But WB's audience averages around 12, and HBO is a subscription movie channel. I would assume all of the other channels did though. I don't think race has anything to do with it. It's probably a matter of money and/or politics.

And so you're willing to jump to the conclusion that Fox is racist?

As has been said, there's Fox News. Don't worry, I'm sure if people wanted to watch the guy, they could have found a network, cable or otherwise. I heard yesterday that when things like this preempt regular shows, that NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox lose a combined $20 million, and maybe Fox just wasn't willing to do that.

I honestly should have put up a winky smiley or something. I don't actually think they're a bunch of racists. I do think they're very partisan, and this is one more example of that.

I was genuinely shocked to turn on the TV and find one of the "big 4" networks not carrying it. That's always just been a given, that the President is shown.

I honestly should have put up a winky smiley or something. I don't actually think they're a bunch of racists. I do think they're very partisan, and this is one more example of that.

I was genuinely shocked to turn on the TV and find one of the "big 4" networks not carrying it. That's always just been a given, that the President is shown.

I guess some can't sense sarcasm :shrug:

But I agree with you that Fox is pretty transparent in their partisanship, and I thought what they did was a pretty asshole move on their part.

I heard yesterday that when things like this preempt regular shows, that NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox lose a combined $20 million, and maybe Fox just wasn't willing to do that.

I have a hard time believing that number... I'm sure they lose, but that number seems a little high.

But I agree it was for selfish reasons that Fox did it, I mean why inform their audience when they can continue to force feed them manufactured pop stars and Coca Cola products?

Fox also decided not to air a Bush conference at least once during his terms in office, so people need to get the hell over it.

(I don't have the specifics as to when it was, but it was mentioned in several articles I read about this in the past few days.)

yeah, Fox played their show 'Lie to Me' instead.

"Lie to Me" "Obama speech", same thing really. :lol:

What a ridiculous thread title. I'm still amazed by the fact that if you even slightly disagree with this president, you're a racist. I guess I'm a racist. I'll have to go tell all of my black friends.

Be glad that there is at least one channel which airs the regular shows. Do you really want to see the same Presidential speech on ALL the channels??? Ypu can only watch one channel at the time, can you? (Or you must have a Zooropa video wall in your living room:hyper: )

And what is it with people who call others a racist for no reason?

Sorry, didn't want to offend you, but that's what I think!

This has occurred during several of his press conferences. CNN, MSNBC, and CSPAN carried them, while Fox News did not. I don't watch Fox, I only discovered this by chance. For all I know, they haven't shown a single one of his press conferences.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me. They're free to show whatever they want. They're doing the smart thing, clearly their viewers don't like and aren't interested in listening to President Obama.

I think the issue here wasn't "do our viewers care about Obama yammering on" as much as "crap, this is going to pre-empt American Idol and we're going to lose a bazillion dollars."

I can't speak to Fox News itself, but that'd be a reasonable explanation as to why they didn't air it on the main Fox network.

Well, unless he is declaring war to the world or something like that I don't really see why all the channels, especially the regular ones, should have to preempt their programmes.

But maybe that's because here we would need such a topic at a press conference for our TV channels to show that instead of their regular programmes. :wink:

Well, there's Carl on The Simpsons, and Cleveland on Family Guy ... so there's at least two!

Oi.

This is so NOT about racism. You might be able to make the argument that it's about politics (i.e. Fox would have pre-empted for a Republican candidate) but to make this about racism is just sheer nonsense and serves only to reinforce the ideas our conservative posters have about liberal whining.

It didn't help that the topic itself was barely worth a thread.

(No offense intended, CTU2Fan.)

Well, I saw Genean Garafolo on MSNBC and she called me a redneck, tea-bagging racist, so I guess its true.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom