Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #31
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
And some jeans put the measurements right there on the outside for the world to see...
oh yes. most of the men i see wearing those kind of jeans should not be showing off their measurements.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:23 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
And some jeans put the measurements right there on the outside for the world to see...
my jeans do that. why! who thinks that's a good idea? at least most of my shirts cover that part.

what i loved was a few years i got a football jersey with an authenticity/licensing patch on the front, and on this particular one it also showed the size.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #33
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
my jeans do that. why! who thinks that's a good idea? at least most of my shirts cover that part.

what i loved was a few years i got a football jersey with an authenticity/licensing patch on the front, and on this particular one it also showed the size.
switch brands

and yes! mine is like that too. i hate it. i've never actually worn it in public but if i do, i'll just mark over the size. imo that makes the jersey less authentic to display the size, but oh well.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:18 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
exactly. at least with men's pants, it's all about measuring the width and length in inches/centimeters. so i'd imagine once a guy knows those measurements he can buy pants pretty much anywhere.
Almost. When I was in the US I always had to take jeans one size smaller because, as I later overheard in a conversation, the sizes have been changed in 2008 due to a growing population.
And with my body stature, relatively tall but very slim, it's always a pain to find trousers in my size. So usually I have to wear a belt.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:19 AM   #35
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Almost. When I was in the US I always had to take jeans one size smaller because, as I later overheard in a conversation, the sizes have been changed in 2008 due to a growing population.
And with my body stature, relatively tall but very slim, it's always a pain to find trousers in my size. So usually I have to wear a belt.
what! oh good lord, how sad. i've now lost what little hope i had in the u.s. clothing industry
Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Oh well, in the Levi's store in San Francisco I could've gotten custom made jeans, but was too cheap for that.
Here in Germany it's the same. It's always a celebration if I find jeans which are exactly my size. Usually, those that are wide enough are too short, and those that are long enough are too wide. But better too wide than too short.
I wonder if the sizes have been changed here, too. Haven't been jeans shopping since I came back.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Oh well, in the Levi's store in San Francisco I could've gotten custom made jeans, but was too cheap for that.
Here in Germany it's the same. It's always a celebration if I find jeans which are exactly my size. Usually, those that are wide enough are too short, and those that are long enough are too wide. But better too wide than too short.
I wonder if the sizes have been changed here, too. Haven't been jeans shopping since I came back.
Ever heard of a tall, Dutch population? I know tons and tons of stores here where you can get great jeans, which aren't too short, and which aren't too wide, either
Old 04-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

We have stores for tall people either, but usually those are also heavier than me, i.e. wider. But we can go have a look.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:10 PM
why would you censor an ad like that?? a. that woman in the ad is beautiful and b. there are obviously going to be MANY women who can identify more with her than the women you may get in other ads which as people have suggested just pretend women with curves don't exist. It's bizarre.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:10 AM
I want to be Christina Hendricks. Except when she has her breasts really pushed up and it just looks painful. And it must be so painful to walk around with those things Just like in the episode of Mad Men when she takes her strap down and it's all red and irritated. So I'd like to be her most of the time, then deflate them when it gets to be too much. But I really do think she's a goddess.

Seriously though, the back pain. They'd never let her do a tv lingerie ad. And I would say that by Hollywood/modeling/tv standards, she's considered to be plus sized, huge, large. Remember those NY Times fashion writers who talked about her Golden Globes dress and said that you should never put a "big" girl in a dress like that? But women respond to her because they can relate more to her, and because she's beautiful and confident about her body.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth brown View Post
why would you censor an ad like that?? a. that woman in the ad is beautiful and b. there are obviously going to be MANY women who can identify more with her than the women you may get in other ads which as people have suggested just pretend women with curves don't exist. It's bizarre.

We must protect the kids, especially from "plus" sized breasts and bodies.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryStar View Post
Ever heard of a tall, Dutch population?
A lot of us have this problem in the US. I am Dutch, lots of Dutch in my area and US sizes suck b/c all "regular" pants are 31-31.5" inseam. You can go up sizes but the inseam remains the same. Most brands also sell Short, Long, and Tall sizes with different inseams but they don't usually carry these in the store. I am not even that tall compared to the rest of my Dutch friends (I am 5'7" and the shortest) but I had to find a store that sizes by waist and inseam because if I get my size at a regular store like Gap they are always an inch or more too short. Now that I found a store that has a 27"/33" I get all my jeans there.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

We must protect the kids, especially from "plus" sized breasts and bodies.
Context context context.

The commercial was inappropriate for the family hour, and in a post-Janet world, the FCC isn't going to let that -- or Victoria's Secret, or Trojans, or KY -- fly.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Well I just think that whole "family hour" thing is silly-parents should do the work and monitor the tv viewing of kids and not rely on some concocted safe zone. What are they watching in the afternoon and what kind of violence are they seeing, let alone breasts. Personally I'd be much more concerned about that.

If I had kids I wouldn't worry about them seeing that Lane Bryant ad. Sooner or later they're going to learn about breasts anyway and even, gasp, see them. They can see them at the beach, at the mall. Even more than they'd see in that ad. So unless you're going to cloister your kids and lock them up at home or put blinders on them, I think it's a pointless thing to try to control. Let alone to worry that there's too much cleavage because the woman weighs more.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

I do not think the fashion industry should be blamed for body issues. If you really get into high fashion and that sort of thing, it has nothing to do with promoting girls that are tall and skinny. Those high fashion models are basically mannequins for the clothing (and are treated as such, if you watch backstage they have people just ripping off their clothes in front of everyone, pulling them this way and that, doing whatever they want). The clothes are made to a certain standard, not with an individual model in mind, so they need to be within a certain size range to do the job or they won't fit the clothes and can't model them. It is about the clothes and the branding, not the model or making some statement about size or body image.