FOX And ABC Censor Plus Sized Lingerie Ad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And some jeans put the measurements right there on the outside for the world to see... :lol:

my jeans do that. why! who thinks that's a good idea? at least most of my shirts cover that part.

what i loved was a few years i got a football jersey with an authenticity/licensing patch on the front, and on this particular one it also showed the size.

my jeans do that. why! who thinks that's a good idea? at least most of my shirts cover that part.

what i loved was a few years i got a football jersey with an authenticity/licensing patch on the front, and on this particular one it also showed the size.
switch brands :tongue:

and yes! mine is like that too. i hate it. i've never actually worn it in public but if i do, i'll just mark over the size. imo that makes the jersey less authentic to display the size, but oh well.

exactly. at least with men's pants, it's all about measuring the width and length in inches/centimeters. so i'd imagine once a guy knows those measurements he can buy pants pretty much anywhere.

Almost. When I was in the US I always had to take jeans one size smaller because, as I later overheard in a conversation, the sizes have been changed in 2008 due to a growing population.
And with my body stature, relatively tall but very slim, it's always a pain to find trousers in my size. So usually I have to wear a belt.

Almost. When I was in the US I always had to take jeans one size smaller because, as I later overheard in a conversation, the sizes have been changed in 2008 due to a growing population.
And with my body stature, relatively tall but very slim, it's always a pain to find trousers in my size. So usually I have to wear a belt.
what! oh good lord, how sad. i've now lost what little hope i had in the u.s. clothing industry :lol:

Oh well, in the Levi's store in San Francisco I could've gotten custom made jeans, but was too cheap for that.
Here in Germany it's the same. It's always a celebration if I find jeans which are exactly my size. Usually, those that are wide enough are too short, and those that are long enough are too wide. But better too wide than too short.
I wonder if the sizes have been changed here, too. Haven't been jeans shopping since I came back. :hmm:

Oh well, in the Levi's store in San Francisco I could've gotten custom made jeans, but was too cheap for that.
Here in Germany it's the same. It's always a celebration if I find jeans which are exactly my size. Usually, those that are wide enough are too short, and those that are long enough are too wide. But better too wide than too short.
I wonder if the sizes have been changed here, too. Haven't been jeans shopping since I came back. :hmm:

Ever heard of a tall, Dutch population? :wink: I know tons and tons of stores here where you can get great jeans, which aren't too short, and which aren't too wide, either :)

We have stores for tall people either, but usually those are also heavier than me, i.e. wider. But we can go have a look. :)

why would you censor an ad like that?? a. that woman in the ad is beautiful and b. there are obviously going to be MANY women who can identify more with her than the women you may get in other ads which as people have suggested just pretend women with curves don't exist. It's bizarre.

I want to be Christina Hendricks. Except when she has her breasts really pushed up and it just looks painful. And it must be so painful to walk around with those things :wink: Just like in the episode of Mad Men when she takes her strap down and it's all red and irritated. So I'd like to be her most of the time, then deflate them when it gets to be too much. But I really do think she's a goddess.

Seriously though, the back pain. They'd never let her do a tv lingerie ad. And I would say that by Hollywood/modeling/tv standards, she's considered to be plus sized, huge, large. Remember those NY Times fashion writers who talked about her Golden Globes dress and said that you should never put a "big" girl in a dress like that? But women respond to her because they can relate more to her, and because she's beautiful and confident about her body.

why would you censor an ad like that?? a. that woman in the ad is beautiful and b. there are obviously going to be MANY women who can identify more with her than the women you may get in other ads which as people have suggested just pretend women with curves don't exist. It's bizarre.

:applaud:

We must protect the kids, especially from "plus" sized breasts and bodies.

Ever heard of a tall, Dutch population?

A lot of us have this problem in the US. I am Dutch, lots of Dutch in my area and US sizes suck b/c all "regular" pants are 31-31.5" inseam. You can go up sizes but the inseam remains the same. Most brands also sell Short, Long, and Tall sizes with different inseams but they don't usually carry these in the store. I am not even that tall compared to the rest of my Dutch friends (I am 5'7" and the shortest) but I had to find a store that sizes by waist and inseam because if I get my size at a regular store like Gap they are always an inch or more too short. Now that I found a store that has a 27"/33" I get all my jeans there.

Well I just think that whole "family hour" thing is silly-parents should do the work and monitor the tv viewing of kids and not rely on some concocted safe zone. What are they watching in the afternoon and what kind of violence are they seeing, let alone breasts. Personally I'd be much more concerned about that.

If I had kids I wouldn't worry about them seeing that Lane Bryant ad. Sooner or later they're going to learn about breasts anyway and even, gasp, see them. They can see them at the beach, at the mall. Even more than they'd see in that ad. So unless you're going to cloister your kids and lock them up at home or put blinders on them, I think it's a pointless thing to try to control. Let alone to worry that there's too much cleavage because the woman weighs more.

I do not think the fashion industry should be blamed for body issues. If you really get into high fashion and that sort of thing, it has nothing to do with promoting girls that are tall and skinny. Those high fashion models are basically mannequins for the clothing (and are treated as such, if you watch backstage they have people just ripping off their clothes in front of everyone, pulling them this way and that, doing whatever they want). The clothes are made to a certain standard, not with an individual model in mind, so they need to be within a certain size range to do the job or they won't fit the clothes and can't model them. It is about the clothes and the branding, not the model or making some statement about size or body image.

Do you live in the US? Let's trade places for a while! In Holland your size is no problem at all. My size is 27''/30'', which is pretty hard to find, unless you want to pay 120 euro for a pair of jeans!

Yes, I live in the US. 27/30 would be approx. a Size 4 Short. The stores I usually shop always carry the "short" sizes but never the "tall" or "long" ones that I need. :angry:

Hey it's 8:42pm, American Idol, and I just saw a Lane Bryant ad with that woman in her bra. It wasn't the ad in this thread but she was flaunting her curves.

I do not think the fashion industry should be blamed for body issues. If you really get into high fashion and that sort of thing, it has nothing to do with promoting girls that are tall and skinny. Those high fashion models are basically mannequins for the clothing (and are treated as such, if you watch backstage they have people just ripping off their clothes in front of everyone, pulling them this way and that, doing whatever they want). The clothes are made to a certain standard, not with an individual model in mind, so they need to be within a certain size range to do the job or they won't fit the clothes and can't model them. It is about the clothes and the branding, not the model or making some statement about size or body image.

When designers are too lazy or too untalented or too horrified by the thought of someone over a size 2 wearing their precious creations that they can't be bothered to make clothes that actually fit someone thicker than a toothpick, they ARE promoting a certain body type. And this crap does affect ordinary women. Trends in high fashion eventually hit middle America. I think I have a pretty healthy body image but after spending a whole freaking afternoon trying on every single pair of beige slacks in the local department store because I need a new pair for spring and not being able to find anything that could fit over my hips without gaping at the waist I was actually beginning to wonder what was wrong with me. Thank God for consignment shops. I was finally able to get a pair of pants from a couple seasons ago that actually fit properly.

When designers are too lazy or too untalented or too horrified by the thought of someone over a size 2 wearing their precious creations that they can't be bothered to make clothes that actually fit someone thicker than a toothpick, they ARE promoting a certain body type. And this crap does affect ordinary women. Trends in high fashion eventually hit middle America. I think I have a pretty healthy body image but after spending a whole freaking afternoon trying on every single pair of beige slacks in the local department store because I need a new pair for spring and not being able to find anything that could fit over my hips without gaping at the waist I was actually beginning to wonder what was wrong with me. Thank God for consignment shops. I was finally able to get a pair of pants from a couple seasons ago that actually fit properly.

Apart from the small minority of oversexed hetero sexual men and Anna Wintour-like walking toothpicks, most designers are jealous gay men who are so envious of our curves, which they can never have without surgery, that out of revenge they design clothing and advertisements only aliens will fit in!

Roswell_alien_prop.jpg

I think I have a pretty healthy body image but after spending a whole freaking afternoon trying on every single pair of beige slacks in the local department store because I need a new pair for spring and not being able to find anything that could fit over my hips without gaping at the waist I was actually beginning to wonder what was wrong with me.

Same here. I was looking for a pair of khakis and forget it. I have a smaller waist and hips than the rest but I'm not skinny. I was trying on the "curvy" fit and they still didn't fit. One size was too tight and the next size up was too big. I'm tall too so I need the long inseam, which is next to impossible to find in stores. When I shop for pants I do wonder what's wrong with me. Lee makes pants and jeans now with no gap waistbands-they're kind of tough to find in stores. That waist gap is a bane of my existence, especially in jeans. I just wear my tops over them and use a belt. I don't think I've tucked anything in since at least 1990 anyway.

Of course I'm over a size 8 which I found out on the Today Show this week is a plus size in modeling :lmao:

I think that alien is a plus size too :D

I have a problem where the top (hips, crotch, waist) is too big if the legs fit. I guess I have thunder thighs or something but if the top fits, the legs are too tight (for my comfort, I guess they are correct for style) and if the legs fit then the top part could fit me at nine months pregnant. The store where I found the jeans sold by waist/inseam makes a "boy cut" style so I have three pairs of those. The top is fitted correctly and flattering and the thighs are also flattering without feeling like I'm wearing a unitard.

I think every woman has issues finding pants since everyone is different. I'm an average weight and size and when I find a good fitting pair I buy more than one and wear them for years. I think it's been nearly a year since I bought a pair of pants. One of my good friends is super tall and skinny and another is very short with a boyish figure (straight hips/waist) and also skinny. I don't know anyone of any size, height, or weight that can't complain all day about pants shopping.

I think every woman has issues finding pants since everyone is different. I'm an average weight and size and when I find a good fitting pair I buy more than one and wear them for years. I think it's been nearly a year since I bought a pair of pants. One of my good friends is super tall and skinny and another is very short with a boyish figure (straight hips/waist) and also skinny. I don't know anyone of any size, height, or weight that can't complain all day about pants shopping.
Yep, skinny women have just as much trouble as any others finding "perfect fitting" pants. Fashion shoots and shows keep seamstresses at hand along with all those other touch-up-crew people, ready to pin, slash, tuck and trim as needed to create the appearance of a perfectly tailored fit on the spur of the moment. There's nothing magical about being a size 2 or whatever that guarantees a perfect fit right off the rack.

Definitely strange, cleavage vs violence and blood and gore. Is that one during the family hour? I don't know.

NY Daily News

Forget the dead bodies and bloody murder scenes. Dita Von Teese's "offensive" bust was deemed too controversial for an upcoming episode of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation."

The 38-year-old burlesque star was forced to "take it down a notch" when playing a teacher who moonlights as a striptease artist named Rita Von Squeeze on the CBS show.

"There was a lot of network talk about my 'offensive cleavage,'" Von Teese told TV Guide, according to London's Daily Mail.

The busty siren said she found the complaints "interesting considering how much blood and gore there is" on "CSI."

Read more: Dita Von Teese: 'CSI' toned down my 'offensive cleavage' for CBS viewers

Definitely strange, cleavage vs violence and blood and gore. Is that one during the family hour? I don't know.

NY Daily News

Forget the dead bodies and bloody murder scenes. Dita Von Teese's "offensive" bust was deemed too controversial for an upcoming episode of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation."

The 38-year-old burlesque star was forced to "take it down a notch" when playing a teacher who moonlights as a striptease artist named Rita Von Squeeze on the CBS show.

"There was a lot of network talk about my 'offensive cleavage,'" Von Teese told TV Guide, according to London's Daily Mail.

The busty siren said she found the complaints "interesting considering how much blood and gore there is" on "CSI."

Read more: Dita Von Teese: 'CSI' toned down my 'offensive cleavage' for CBS viewers

This drives me fucking crazy.
Sex, nudity, the human body are touchy subjects for TV and kids, but violence is just fine. Not that there aren't a lot of both on TV, but sexuality is almost always more controversial than violence.

People can justify watching violence to themselves so long as there's some kind of underlying good guys/bad guys angle redeeming it. If they feel like they're watching gratuitous sex, that just makes them feel dirty. Or something like that.

maybe I just an eternal optimist

but, when cleavage is involved,
I always believe there is some kind of underlying good redeeming angle to it.

Back
Top Bottom