Forget MLK's Dream: It Seems We Can't Throw Our Crayons Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have audio at my office

but it is blatantly obvious that there is a strong under current of racism in many of the Obama detractors

slide_1398_20072_large.jpg

slide_1398_20075_large.jpg

guess-which-state-this-is-they-had-nearly-5000-18703-1239831628-51.jpg

Do you not believe racism to be alive and well?

I don't have audio at my office

but it is blatantly obvious that there is a strong under current of racism in many of the Obama detractors

The only thing different between Glen Beck and his ilk is they no longer have to wear the white hoods. Unfortunately, they have TV.
I'm not sure Beck and others have the sense to even know what they are perpetrating. Or maybe they do.
President Obama is in danger from one/many of the original home grown terrorist groups. :sad:

In general, it’s a very sheltered stupidity. You couldn’t develop either that worldview, or such a susceptibility to the utterly outlandish stuff from people like Beck, without being in possession of a great level of ignorance that could only come from living a very, very sheltered existence. These people all seem super scared of everything/anything isn’t “them” or where they’re from, even within their own country, probably even within their own area. And you couldn’t get your message so wrong and confused on so many levels without being flat out stupid. Like the woman at the town hall meeting who screamed “Nazi!” at the gay Jew who serves under the mixed race President, sorry, but you’re just fucking stupid, nothing more. 98% of that side of the argument is really not worth any comment or counter-argument because it’s just so utterly… crazy. They may as well be out there claiming Obama is an alien (and I don’t mean from Mexico). Like Beck spinning Obama’s community service stuff into a charge about a civilian thug army that’s going to start knocking on doors and rounding up… I’m not sure who, he never said, it’s just utter lunacy.

But there seems to be a hell of a lot of these people, so what do you do? And yeah, the racism factor is massive, but I think it’s less the all-out “I hate/look down own X people” type and more just wrapped up in that sheltered stupidity and sheltered fear of the “other”.

In general, it’s a very sheltered stupidity. You couldn’t develop either that worldview, or such a susceptibility to the utterly outlandish stuff from people like Beck, without being in possession of a great level of ignorance that could only come from living a very, very sheltered existence.

I know that's true, because I had a lifelong, her's, friend tell me after the election, that her church was saying Obama was the antichrist. Problem is her life hasn't been sheltered. But she has been indoctrinated against African Americans from birth. Nothing I said made her think otherwise.

But there seems to be a hell of a lot of these people, so what do you do? And yeah, the racism factor is massive, but I think it’s less the all-out “I hate/look down own X people” type and more just wrapped up in that sheltered stupidity and sheltered fear of the “other”.

I don't know what to do anymore, except what I do. Which is call them on their owm bigotry. It is still massive.
My main concern is these people(s) who can be so easily be led. I want to just shake them. :|

I know that's true, because I had a lifelong, her's, friend tell me after the election, that her church was saying Obama was the antichrist. Problem is her life hasn't been sheltered. But she has been indoctrinated against African Americans from birth. Nothing I said made her think otherwise.

I don't know what to do anymore, except what I do. Which is call them on their owm bigotry. It is still massive.
My main concern is these people(s) who can be so easily be led. I want to just shake them. :|

I think there's something still very sheltered in those who cannot walk away from their own very strong viewpoints to consider another side for just a minute, like this church goer you mentioned. People who can't expand their horizons to examine other arguments and points of view are ignorant, and as a result, sheltered. I share your concerns on those who are so easily manipulated and led to one belief. It's as frustrating as those who think there are only two viewpoints and if you don't share theirs, then you must automatically think/believe the contrary. Maybe in black and white land (excuse the pun), but not over here in reality.

It's funny how conservative white men are the first to reference Dr. King to show how racist they aren't.

This poster's threads on race are extremely disturbing to me. But it's really hard to tell if it's just so ingrained in his culture that he doesn't recogize it as racism, or if it's just a covering of his own eyes choosing not to see it. I guess that's a thin line sometimes.

I truly wish he would comment sometimes, especially in his own threads.

I did. And I disagree.

well if you look at the word racism, it kind of is.

race - a classification of humans baised on certain physical traits
ism - a distinctive doctrine, system, or theory

anytime you bring up race in an issue, it is racism. even if it is harmless discussion. it's not wearing a white hood and calling people names, but if you look at the word, it is still racism, just not racism in the negative way that we usually associate the word.

same with the word racist. we love to call people that in a negative way all the time. but if you look at the language and break down the word, racist means anyone who uses race in an issue, not just in a negative way. you say "Obama is our 1st black president." totally harmless statement, but you are using race in that statement. therefore, technically speaking you are being a racist.

You are ALL racists! :lol:

Sure, there are those radical white supremacists sprinkled around the country. But the race card is definitely being overplayed. First, Glenn Beck accuses Obama of hating white people and now Carter accuses Republicans in general of having "undertones of racism?" This is ridiculous how people just jump to conclusions like that. Apparently, it's a rule now that whenever we disagree with someone of a different race, we must be racist.

Honestly, I'd bet half the reason why racism is still so alive today is because people are so quick to accuse each other of it. It is REALLY juvenile. Grow up. This is what kids at my school did whenever they got bad grades; the teacher just HAD to be a racist.

Obviously to make a blanket statement about racism being involved in any and all criticisms of Obama is completely ridiculous. And he'd be the first one to say so. I don't think he needs Pres Carter to sound off about it and add to his problems.

But I believe there is a racist element in some people who are campaigning against him. What are they doing with such things unless they're trying to somehow play to racist elements?

Conservative Activist Forwards Racist Pic Showing Obama As Witch Doctor | TPMMuckraker

obama-witchdoctor-muck.jpg

Rush Limbaugh couldn't resist trying to connect the brutal beating of one student by another on a school bus to President Obama, using it as an example of how Obama is somehow causing racism throughout the U.S.:

You put your kids on a school bus you expect safety but in Obama's America the white kids now get beat up with the black kids cheering 'yeah, right on, right on, right on.' Of course everybody said the white kid deserved it he was born a racist, he's white.

In fact it would be Limbaugh who seems to have the racial hangup. The St. Louis-Dispatch reports that the beating was not racially motivated, as a Belleville police captain had originally speculated, but was instead incited by a pretty common dispute on school buses: choice of seating.

YouTube - Rush Limbaugh: "Obama's America - White Kids Now Get Beat Up By Blacks"

That is not what he said at all, listen again.

Do you honestly think there is not a sizable portion of the teabag crowd that are racists?

I'm sure there must be some. But who is honestly taking them seriously?

I don't like the tea crowd very much either. There's a lot of ignorance going on over there and not a lot of thinking. But to jump to conclusions and start calling them all out to be racists is just stooping to their level. Does name calling really take us anywhere?

By being so paranoid about the race issue, we are only prolonging it.

I thought about something this morning related to the whole attempt to paint a significant portion of conservatives as racists...

Are there some crazy, racial, unnecessary signs at some of these events? Absolutely. Do they make up anywhere close to a significant percentage of the total participants? I highly doubt it. I think anyone trying to make these "conservative racists" claims needs to ask themselves a question. Let's say that Michael Steele or JC Watts ran for president, or was elected president. Do you think those people holding racially-based signs about Obama would be protesting Steele and Watts the same way? If your answer is "no, they wouldn't," then you cannot argue that their opposition to Obama is based solely on race, despite whatever dumb sign they're waving. If your answer is "yes, they would," then is it really fair to clump those people in with rational conservatives, when it is obvious they are not conservatives but across-the-board racists? To me it seems that a racist would be a racist, and would dislike a black Democrat just as much as a black Republican.

What am I missing? :scratch:

I don't think he needs Pres Carter to sound off about it and add to his problems.

I think some are overlooking the carefulness Carter put in his words:

"An overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated antimosity..."

He's only talking about the teabag protester types, and I believe he's right.

If someone isn't racist would they really want to hold a racist sign at their tea party? Or participate with others who are holding such signs ? Of course all of the signs aren't racist but a good deal of them are. If you're not racist then you should be ashamed of those signs and refuse to participate unless the demonstration is elevated to a higher level.

I have some disagreements with/concerns about Obama, ones that I think are pretty rational-but never in a million years would I resort to anything that had racial over or undertones.

I thought about something this morning related to the whole attempt to paint a significant portion of conservatives as racists...
I don't think anyone is doing that, if so please show me.

Are there some crazy, racial, unnecessary signs at some of these events? Absolutely. Do they make up anywhere close to a significant percentage of the total participants? I highly doubt it.
There's a lot of racism that you and iron horse have not been able to recognise in the past. Maybe because you are used to it being so ingrained into social conservatism, so I posted some of the more obvious signs but there are a lot that I don't think you would even recognize as racist. Racist, like all other walks of life come in subtle packages as well.

I think anyone trying to make these "conservative racists" claims needs to ask themselves a question. Let's say that Michael Steele or JC Watts ran for president, or was elected president. Do you think those people holding racially-based signs about Obama would be protesting Steele and Watts the same way? If your answer is "no, they wouldn't," then you cannot argue that their opposition to Obama is based solely on race, despite whatever dumb sign they're waving. If your answer is "yes, they would," then is it really fair to clump those people in with rational conservatives, when it is obvious they are not conservatives but across-the-board racists? To me it seems that a racist would be a racist, and would dislike a black Democrat just as much as a black Republican.

I don't think anyone is saying it's SOLELY based on race either. You and others were asked and never did we hear an answer, why did you start protesting after Obama won when Bush was doing the same thing that you claim the protests are about?

What you're missing is what we've all been waiting for: Some Republican leadership.

Where are the reasonable Republicans leading the conservatives in a reasonable opposition to Obama? Where are the reasonable Republicans calming down the whackos? Why are Republican leaders allowing talk show host and nutjobs to define the conservative position?

well if you look at the word racism, it kind of is.

race - a classification of humans baised on certain physical traits
ism - a distinctive doctrine, system, or theory

anytime you bring up race in an issue, it is racism.

Again a nice package for white conservatives to mail to each other. Look up the actual definition of racism.

Race is a legitimate subject in may conversations, especially given some of the things these idiots have been saying.

I think there's something still very sheltered in those who cannot walk away from their own very strong viewpoints to consider another side for just a minute, like this church goer you mentioned. People who can't expand their horizons to examine other arguments and points of view are ignorant, and as a result, sheltered. I share your concerns on those who are so easily manipulated and led to one belief. It's as frustrating as those who think there are only two viewpoints and if you don't share theirs, then you must automatically think/believe the contrary. Maybe in black and white land (excuse the pun), but not over here in reality.

I believe people who shelter themselves from other viewpoints could have emotional problems. I believe this because I have relatives who textbook racists, and of course, hate Obama. These relatives of mine are emotionally disturbed, judging by their comments about Obama, blacks and liberals. I think it may have to do with their bad experiences with minorities that happened decades ago. Instead of getting over what happened, they've let that hate infest their minds and their hatred grew and grew, and now with Obama as president, it is out of control - so much so it is scary. So, I believe racism has a lot to do with emotional and mental problems.

Exactly. Now that we have a black president, it's all over. :hug:

you're still not helping, Martha. you just noted that we do, indeed, have a "black" president.

we have to stop saying such things. if we stop talking about black people, maybe they'll stop being black.

and then we won't have these problems.

Back
Top Bottom