Forget MLK's Dream: It Seems We Can't Throw Our Crayons Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who has said this?

When I was younger, I would wear t-shirts about being Irish on days other than St. Patrick's Day. Some teachers and classmates would get critical of it, and ask me why I was wearing the shirt. They were really offended that I wore something like that.

This past St. Patrick's, I was on Facebook and reading a status of one of my former classmates. Now, she would talk about races coming together, and people celebrating each other's differences, etc. But when there was a St. Pat's parade near her house, she called the parade a waste of time and something she could care less for. Now, I was offended. I didn't say anything, when I should've. But there is an example of people making bias comments when they complain about all the bigotry in the world. Those people just add to it.

I assume you said this same thing about Obama when the Rev. Wright story broke. And I also assume you're constantly asking this of all the Democratic Senators who choose to be in the company of Robert "KKK" Byrd.

Yes I was disgusted by his association with Rev Wright and quite confused by it. But I chose to take the rational route and listen to his responses about it and give him the benefit of the doubt as to the truthfulness of his responses-and put it in perspective as far as the honesty I believe most politicians to have. I don't think he's any more honest, or any less honest, than the average politician. My gut instincts tell me so far that he's a good and decent man, but he is a politician.

As far as Byrd, well all politicians have dubious or worse associations. So until they all wash their hands of them, it all tends to cancel itself out and become a moot point in this argument.

But I fail to see how either one of those points justifies any sort of racism, racist thoughts, images, or sayings, etc..being used when opposing Obama's health care policy (or any other policy). If you're going to do that, do it on the facts and not a bunch of fear mongering that can be racist at times.

I'm hung up on this comment. I agree that all races are equal and should be treated as so (as well as women and gays). However, my pause comes when I think of how beautiful our world is because of all our differences.

Specifically in this thread's case, is it wrong to have pride in your ethnicity? Instead of ignoring our differences, can't we celebrate them?

Forgive me for lurking and posting.

i was being wildly sarcastic.

people like to talk about being "colorblind" -- which is a symptom of white privilege.

Back
Top Bottom