Forget MLK's Dream: It Seems We Can't Throw Our Crayons Away - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
That would explain it; I don't watch TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
most of the protesters I've seen have had some serious issues with a black president.
So if not TV, where exactly are you getting your images of these protesters? Maybe from sources going out of their way to distort them as "most of the protesters" rather than the small minority they actually represent?

Or are you simply predisposed to the notion that America is inherently a racist country and subsequently only notice those images that reinforce and confirm that believe?

Old 09-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:47 AM
And where are you getting your sources letting you know they are a minority? Because I know for damn sure that conservative outlets are distorting their images to make sure the overt racist signs and sentiments don't exist and no one seems to notice the "subtle" racism on these outlets.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
So if not TV, where exactly are you getting your images of these protesters? Maybe from sources going out of their way to distort them as "most of the protesters" rather than the small minority they actually represent?

Or are you simply predisposed to the notion that America is inherently a racist country and subsequently only notice those images that reinforce and confirm that believe?

i will go to the next one in DC and report back. i couldn't attend the last one. i love protests. i go whenever i can to people watch. it's never less than fascinating.

however, given the general nature of the protests themselves -- taxes are bad! illegal immigrants are bad! insurance companies are good -- i am more inclined to believe that your average demonstrator probably doesn't have a terribly sophisticated grasp on many of these issues, to start, and, as well, many of these concerns have been racialized to quite an extent by the GOP pundits -- akin to the clearly racialized language of the "welfare Queen" of the 1980s -- that i think part of the appeal that would draw one to DC to protest something like health care reform (as opposed to, say, a war in the Middle East where tens of thousands and more were going to die) would be to vent racialized tensions.

it's never so cut-and-clear as, "i'm a racist, so therefore i hate Obama."
Old 09-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
no one seems to notice the "subtle" racism on these outlets.

note the outrage -- the outrage! -- over Rev. Wright, and then compare that to an average night on the Glenn Beck program.

a black man could never, ever, get away with the amount of anger and resentment and paranoia that these white men get away with every night on Fox.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
a black man could never, ever, get away with the amount of anger and resentment and paranoia that these white men get away with every night on Fox.
yeah, look at kanye west
Old 09-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue4u2 View Post
The only thing different between Glen Beck and his ilk is they no longer have to wear the white hoods. Unfortunately, they have TV.
I'm not sure Beck and others have the sense to even know what they are perpetrating. Or maybe they do.
President Obama is in danger from one/many of the original home grown terrorist groups.

Its horrifying and .....
that's why a lot of folks keep praying for him & his family in that way as well as for him to be strong & as wise as he can be as presdient.

and some of us also surround him & them with white protective light....
Old 09-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
yeah, look at kanye west

this proves the point.

*everyone* echoed what a jackass Kanye was and he was shamed by Leno.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCF View Post
I'm sure there must be some. But who is honestly taking them seriously?

I don't like the tea crowd very much either. There's a lot of ignorance going on over there and not a lot of thinking. But to jump to conclusions and start calling them all out to be racists is just stooping to their level. Does name calling really take us anywhere?

By being so paranoid about the race issue, we are only prolonging it.

If things like -- the still current major discrepancies between balck & white people....

Test cases with rentals & house buying still show even last year a white couple & a black couple with the same stable and well paying type of created jobs resume job & other good personal history -- the black couple STILL gets rejects much of the time more than the white couple.....

A white High School Graduate with a criminal record
will still get hired more THAN a black College Graduate with NO criminal record....

there re still medical care descrepancies but i don't remember the specifies I red earlier this year.

One of the hopeful notes is that some more white people in their 20's & 30's do seem to be more comfortable with Afro-Americans than those in their 40's up....
that is good.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Racist, like all other walks of life come in subtle packages as well.
unfortunatley that is true as well.....
Old 09-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
note the outrage -- the outrage! -- over Rev. Wright, and then compare that to an average night on the Glenn Beck program.

hoooooo boy tht's true!

Unfortunately i don't remember the name but a particular black individual a professional of some kind whether in academia or some oher area that I know of/heard on radio/read articles etc that I trust who has attended Rev Wright's church said The Rev rarely went on like that.

And being the age Rev Wright is--- he's lived through some of the worst of 20 century racism.

The USA is a very complex country with it's ideals written into law, and expanded over time-- along with it's major contradictions, and atrocities that happened, and sometimes sill exist.

I just try to keep making the USA a better country in the ways I can.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #56
Refugee

Quote:
Let the Racers say their piece.

It's a loser.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
the only way we'll ever be truly colorblind is if we keep saying, "i don't even notice people's race. someone has to point it out to me."

because black people (or asians, or women, or gays) will forget if you stop reminding them that they are.

and then we'll truly be living MLK's dream.

the end.

I'm hung up on this comment. I agree that all races are equal and should be treated as so (as well as women and gays). However, my pause comes when I think of how beautiful our world is because of all our differences.

Specifically in this thread's case, is it wrong to have pride in your ethnicity? Instead of ignoring our differences, can't we celebrate them?

Forgive me for lurking and posting.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #58
She's the One

Local Time: 02:47 AM
Quote:
Un, newspapers? You remember them.

Quote:
Of course. That's it exactly.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Philk? View Post
I'm hung up on this comment. I agree that all races are equal and should be treated as so (as well as women and gays). However, my pause comes when I think of how beautiful our world is because of all our differences.

Specifically in this thread's case, is it wrong to have pride in your ethnicity? Instead of ignoring our differences, can't we celebrate them?

Forgive me for lurking and posting.
I agree with you, Got Philk. I see nothing wrong with having pride in your ethnicity. I believe everyone - white, black, Latino, etc. - should be proud of where they come from, and freely celebrate it.

I say this because I've noticed a bias when some people say we should celebrate each other's differences. For example, if minorities were celebrating their heritage, that's fine. But if, say, it was St. Patrick's Day and people of Irish decent (like me) were happily displaying their pride for being Irish, some people would think that is wrong, it shouldn't be done, etc.

I mean, if you believe everyone should be proud if their heritage, you should mean everyone! Practice what you preach!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
But if, say, it was St. Patrick's Day and people of Irish decent (like me) were happily displaying their pride for being Irish, some people would think that is wrong, it shouldn't be done, etc.
Who has said this?