Focus On The Family/Tim Tebow Super Bowl Ad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sarah Palin's greatest appeal is what she isn't.

Well then she must have A LOT of appeal, because she isn't a lot of things...

I finally get it. I never could understand why conservatives are falling for W and Palin types... but I get it now.

Backwards logic at it's best.

The Terry O'Neill type for one.

Does that include guys? I've read other similar comments from guys too. The way men were portrayed in some of those ads wasn't exactly flattering either. It's an ad, it's supposed to generate buzz.

The unheralded significance of the Audi ‘green police’ ad | Grist

"Is it me or were the Super Bowl commercials this year unusually ugly, misogynistic , and, worst of all, unfunny?"

Don't know who wrote this editorial but it could have been a guy

BOSTON GLOBE EDITORIAL
‘Real men’: Dumb beer ads, courageous footballers

February 9, 2010

Misogynistic and overheated even by the usual standards of NFL advertising, many of this year’s Super Bowl ads treated women merely as obstacles to beer and male enjoyment, and pushed a rather obnoxious, shallow notion of what it means to be a “real man.’’ Luckily, two members of the winning New Orleans Saints squad offered much better examples of what family - and manhood - should be about.

Last Tuesday, Saints linebacker Scott Fujita used the Super Bowl’s media day to discuss his support for gay marriage. It’s a firmly pro-family stance, and a courageous one in the machismo-obsessed NFL.

And Saints quarterback Drew Brees, MVP of the game, spent the moments immediately after it holding his 1-year-old son, who wore headphones to protect him from the noise. Millions watched this touching, personal moment, which showed that athletic prowess and tenderness are far from mutually exclusive.

The advertisers at this year’s Super Bowl pushed a version of manhood mostly about drinking, cars, and trying to escape the responsibilities of family life. But two of the on-field participants told very different stories - stories that will resonate long after the last beer commercial has faded from memory.

I think that the most significant thing that can be said about this Tebow superbowl ad is that it is his first political advertisement. And by that I mean that they are launching his political career. Sure, he's expected to have a glorious NFL career, but I think this is also the beginning of a looooong political campaign. "Tebow in 2030" or whatever. He's being groomed. It is his destiny.

Prepare to be governed by Tim Tebow someday. Mark it.

not many people are expecting many glorious things out of tim tebow's nfl career.

So back to the topic:

The actual ad was pretty innocous, right guys?

All of you got worked up into a frenzy for nothing it seems.

<>

So back to the topic:

The actual ad was pretty innocous, right guys?

All of you got worked up into a frenzy for nothing it seems.

<>
My problem was not with the ad, but the message the Tebow's are trying to get across. The message that was articulated through the reference the ad made as well as the stories told in the media in the lead up. The message being that you should ignore doctor's advice on the off chance your child becomes a great college football player.

We can only hope the National Organization for liberal women Women is indeed on its deathbed.
People wouldn't take kindly to the grim response commercial showing women who died from ignoring the medical advice of their doctors to get abortions, would they?

Jim Daly, Focus on the Family's president and CEO, was "excited to tell people it's coming because the Tebows' story is such an important one for our culture to hear." He promised that "you won't want to miss it."

As it turns out, a lot of people missed it. Neilsen Media Research estimates that the Tebow spot was the least-watched commercial of the entire Super Bowl, reaching "just" 92.6 million viewers. By comparison, the most watched ad of the day, a Doritos commercial, had an estimated audience of more than 116 million viewers.

Back
Top Bottom