Five women killed for wanting to choose their own husbands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
A Pakistani lawmaker defended a decision by southwestern tribesmen to bury five women alive because they wanted to choose their own husbands, telling stunned members of Parliament this week to spare him their outrage.

"These are centuries-old traditions and I will continue to defend them," Israr Ullah Zehri, who represents Baluchistan province, said Saturday. "Only those who indulge in immoral acts should be afraid."

The women, three of whom were teenagers, were first shot and then thrown into a ditch.

They were still breathing as their bodies were covered with rocks and mud, according media reports and human rights activists, who said their only "crime" was that they wished to marry men of their own choosing.

Zehri told a packed and flabbergasted Parliament on Friday that Baluch tribal traditions helped stop obscenity and then asked fellow lawmakers not to make a big fuss about it.

MSNBC

What an example of gross human rights violations over there.

I am going to be a cultural bigot and state that universal suffrage and secularism trump tribalistic tradition.

I am going to be a cultural bigot and state that universal suffrage and secularism trump tribalistic tradition.

They have done already this to some degree with female mutilation.

It's situations like this that make me glad I'm going to be working in Human Rights after college. How awful:sad:

It's all about education. Apparently this bastard hasn't had enough, he should be brought up before laws similar to war crimes.

It's interesting to see who is making jokes about this.

It's hard to believe someone could find this even remotely amusing/funny enough to make jokes about.

And what they did was MORAL!!!
Because they did it for "Allah". C'mon.

Just chalk it up as more crime in the name of God/Allah, who is cringing as we speak.

It's hard to believe someone could find this even remotely amusing/funny enough to make jokes about.
Why is it hard to believe? Humour can deal with the tragic and absurd very effectively, it can make points without being preachy, just like rape jokes.
Just chalk it up as more crime in the name of God/Allah, who is cringing as we speak.
If there is a God how can you possibly know that the entity not only cares about the death of a few women in tribal Pakistan and that it is cringing over it? Killing apostates and having open season on infidels is sanctioned by God, why assume that the entity would have a problem with the smarter, stronger and inherently more dominant sex taking charge over their women?

Appealing to God is meaningless and unjustified, even when it happens to be a position which condemns harmful behaviour.

One of perpetrators was allegedly related to a top provincial official, it said.
The brother of Balochistan's housing minister, from the PPP--the party now led by Bhutto's widower, Asif Ali Zardari, which had been trying for weeks to avoid or delay this inquiry so as not to lose Baloch votes in next week's presidential elections. As for Senator Zehri, his statements openly flout the Constitution he has sworn to uphold, though it's unlikely he'll ever be punished for it.

Apparently the men the three girls had come to Baba Kot to marry are missing as well, though that could just be because they fled upon hearing that the women's relatives had abducted them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom