First "War on Xmas" Thread - We have a winner ! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:03 PM
as a rule, i wish people a Happy Holiday.

i would never say "Merry Christmas" to acquaintances or even coworkers. it's only when i know for certain that someone is going to be celebrating Christmas and i know them well that i might say "Merry Christmas," and that would only usually be on December 24 or 25th.

"Happy Holidays" is a sincere, universal expression of good will towards everyone, it excludes no one, and it's a recognition that it is a special time of year, and you hope that everyone has a good experience. December is much more than just Christmas, and by insisting, as some do, that "Happy Holidays" is an assault on their faith is evidence of an ill-deserved persecution complex.

not everyone celebrates your holiday. not everyone likes christmas. please, think of someone other than yourself. simply because the rest of the world doesn't affirm your every word, thought, and action isn't proof that you're somehow discriminated against or that it's political correctness run amok.

it's common courtesy.

be polite.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:03 PM
I say Merry Christmas - but then I'd say Happy Hanukah and Happy Diwali too. I'm not religious in the slightest, but would rather acknowledge other peoples religious holidays than not at all.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #18
The Male

Local Time: 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
As an atheist, I have no problem whatsoever with "Merry Christmas", I say it myself. I think "Happy Holidays" is a crock overly politically-correct, however I have a bigger issue with the bigots and politicians who spend their time worrying about this, have they nothing better to do ?
Well put.

People can greet others during the holiday season however they please. Honestly, why should I be offended if someone feels that "Happy Holidays" fits the way they celebrate the winter holidays more appropriately? Furthermore, any one greeting being somehow "enforced" or even "encouraged" by the state would sufficiently qualify as a crock.

I say "Merry Christmas" because I believe in Christ. That's it. If you don't, you shouldn't have your hands tied.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, it might be the higher importance of religion in the US, or the greater likelihood that your counterpart is not a Christian and hence not celebrating Christmas. I don't know. For me it's just weird to make such a fuss over it.

Happy Holidays as substitution at least sounds okay, but I couldn't use Season's Greetings with a straight face.

All the time I grew up Christmas never seemed a religious holiday at all. People needed to be reminded of its roots. I guess that's just the way this holiday went. Even non-Christians celebrate it. A Japanese I study with told me that many families in Japan celebrate Christmas although they are not religious. To me Christmas has sort of grown out of Christianity and more or less stands on its own.
And if the vast majority celebrates a certain holiday I don't see using that greeting in general. Like I said before, it's not meant to offend anyone or showing him which holiday is superior. Would you stop using Happy New Year's only because for many the night from the 31st of December to the 1st of January is not their New Year's?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
Forum Moderator

"Season's Greetings" is primarily reserved for written exchanges; it's not common to hear people say it in casual conversation.

I can't personally think of any cultural or religious minorities in the US who collectively and on principle don't observe 'New Year's Day' on January 1, though of course many do also observe a second New Year's at some other time of year in accordance with their ancestral culture's or religion's traditional calendar. Christmas, by contrast, is perceived by some religious minority groups (and also by practicing Christians, of course) as an essentially Christian holiday commemorating the birth of Christ, and therefore those groups don't observe it. So the two holidays aren't really comparable in that way.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Do we really need a thread like this each december? If you don't like the way people are wishing you happiness, maybe you don't deserve it.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #22
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
If you don't like the way people are wishing you happiness, maybe you don't deserve it.
I seem to recall "Bah humbug" being my sarcastic parting expression of resigned exasperation with the overblown-epic-saga-of-a-thread on this topic that most of us probably recall from a few years back. If I didn't say it, I was certainly thinking it...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
"Season's Greetings" is primarily reserved for written exchanges; it's not common to hear people say it in casual conversation.

I can't personally think of any cultural or religious minorities in the US who collectively and on principle don't observe 'New Year's Day' on January 1, though of course many do also observe a second New Year's at some other time of year in accordance with their ancestral culture's or religion's traditional calendar. Christmas, by contrast, is perceived by some religious minority groups (and also by practicing Christians, of course) as an essentially Christian holiday commemorating the birth of Christ, and therefore those groups don't observe it. So the two holidays aren't really comparable in that way.
Yeah, that's a difference. With New Year's everyone accepted our calendar.
I feel a little relieved that Season's Greetings is only for written exchanges.
I guess it's a different culture where there is much more meaning being put into the greeting, whereas in Germany no one cares. "Frohe Weihnachten und einen guten Rutsch" (Merry Christmas and a happy New Year) are used everywhere and by everyone, and I've never heard anyone complain. But as I said, the religious aspect of the holiday has pretty much vanished.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post

As someone who spends a lot of time in Asia, and around asians, I know that "our" New Year's is not that big a deal, their big one is Lunar New Year.

Also, Iranians have their own in Mid-March.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Right, but as she said those that live in the US celebrate the western New Year's just as they celebrate their respective ones.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Right, but as she said those that live in the US celebrate the western New Year's just as they celebrate their respective ones.

Not to close to the same extent. They are much more into theor own than they are the Western one.

I spent a Xmas in Hong Kong once, lots of non-Christians saying "Merry Christmas" to each other.

To most people, Merry Christmas is a Holiday greeting first and foremost.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
Not to close to the same extent. They are much more into theor own than they are the Western one.

I spent a Xmas in Hong Kong once, lots of non-Christians saying "Merry Christmas" to each other.

To most people, Merry Christmas is a Holiday greeting first and foremost.
That's the way I've seen it all the time either. I guess that's why I don't quite understand the fuss over it and the need to cancel that out of the public eye/nose.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
That's the way I've seen it all the time either. I guess that's why I don't quite understand the fuss over it and the need to cancel that out of the public eye/nose.
As BVS said, it gives the LDS/Evangelical bigots something easy to fight about rather than face the more important issues.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Good we fought off those lunatics 300 years ago.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
Good we fought off those lunatics 300 years ago.
We're still a young country, give us time..............