Fired For Refusing To Wear A Speedo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I'm sorry but I don't think anyone looks good in those (OK well Michael Phelps and the late JFK Jr.). I don't see how a Speedo is going to help you save a life faster.

alg_lifeguard-roy-lester.jpg

NY Daily News Aug 18th

Roy Lester is out to prove that no man above the age of 50 has any business wearing a skimpy, form-hugging Speedo.

In 2007, Lester was forced out of the Jones Beach lifeguard job he had held for four decades when he was told he had to squeeze into a Speedo for the annual swim test.

The 61-year-old Long Island man, who preferred his slightly more modest pair of biking shorts, refused and lost his job.

Lester sued the state, claiming age discrimination, arguing the Speedo is for the washboard stomach set, not aging dads like him.

"I wore a Speedo when I was in my 20s," Lester said. "But come on. There should be a law prohibiting anyone over the age of 50 from wearing a Speedo."

Lester's swimsuit suit against the state Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation was dismissed on technical grounds in 2008. So was another suit Lester filed in 2009.

Last week, in a setback to the state attorney general, an appeals court reinstated his claim. Lester's case could go to trial this year or next in Nassau County.

Lester believes the Speedo edict was an attempt to rid Jones Beach of its aging lifeguards. The former lifeguard union head estimates that more than 80% of Jones Beach lifeguards are older than 40.

"This was not right," said Lester, a bankruptcy lawyer who is representing himself in the age discrimination claim. "They were just trying to get rid of the older guys. To me the whole key to being a good lifeguard is experience. An older guy sees a save before anyone else. You know the water."

Lester has butted heads with bosses before. In a 2006 union newsletter posting, he accused officials of disciplining Jewish lifeguards more often than non-Jews.

State officials declined to comment on the suit.

Long Island lifeguards must pass a more rigorous array of tests than lifeguards elsewhere in the state in order to work at one of eight state beaches.

Male candidates must wear "boxer, briefs or board shorts" during a 100-yard swim they must finish in 75 seconds, according to state standards.

In the city, prospective lifeguards are required only to wear a bathing suit; its size and make are unspecified.

State officials wouldn't say whether there was a Speedo-only policy in place when Lester showed up for his 100-yard swim in 2007 and again in 2008.

"I could have passed that test in dungarees," said Lester, an accomplished triathlete who last week finished at the top of his age group in a lifeguarding competition held in Cape May, N.J.

Fellow lifeguards sporting biker shorts to their annual test relented and donned the Speedo, Lester says.

For now, the father of three has settled for working as a lifeguard at the private Atlantic Beach near his Long Beach home. Three days a week, he and others do an hourlong open-water swim off Neptune Beach.

"At a certain point you have to stand up and say this isn't right," Lester says. "I sat in a lifeguard chair for 40 years and I loved it. To me, to back down would have made me a hypocrite."

I know long beach, long island very well. My sister lived there for years, amd i still spend a ton of time there every summer. They will hire anyone who can do the job.

The speedos they want lifeguards to wear are not the banana hammocks you're thinking of. They are akin to athletic compression shorts.

This guy is full of shit.

The speedos they want lifeguards to wear are not the banana hammocks you're thinking of. They are akin to athletic compression shorts.

This guy is full of shit.

absolutely.

when i was a swim coach, i had lots of boys who wanted to wear trunks in practice and then they'd be brave enough to wear them at a meet. no. that was my clear answer. there is, yes, a huge difference between wearing a Speedo (racing suit) and wearing regular swim trunks which do weigh you down, hold water, and (most importantly for competitive swimming) alter your body position so you are swimming *wrong* in practice. when i swim laps i absolutely and always wear a training suit, and would never think about anything else.

men need to get over their penis-size issues and just put on the appropriate equipment required to do the job at hand, and women and men need to stop with the body fascism and general freak-out at the mere suggestion or hint of the existence of the male sex organ. we're incredibly immature when it comes to male bodies.

men need to get over their penis-size issues and just put on the appropriate equipment required to do the job at hand, and women and men need to stop with the body fascism and general freak-out at the mere suggestion or hint of the existence of the male sex organ. we're incredibly immature when it comes to male bodies.

:ohmy: It was just sort of a joke thread :) . I don't feel comfortable at all in a bathing suit so I understand anyone who has the same issues-male or female. Unless you have a great body I just don't think a Speedo's the best look, nothing to do with the sex organ. It's easier to be more comfortable when you're younger and in great shape.

Those look like compression type of shorts he's wearing-he just feels more comfortable in those and if he can be a private lifeguard in those and compete in triathlons in those I don't see what's detrimental about them.

i understand that it was a joke thread -- but for whatever reason, this just hit at things that have bothered me. Speedos indeed have a purpose, and if he isn't comfortable in the required uniform then he should find another job. :shrug:

it also touches on a double-standard we seem to have with nudity in general. in movies, there's plenty of female nudity, even female full-frontal nudity. but male full-frontal nudity is still hugely taboo, mostly because men fear being judged far more than women do about, say, breast size or even weight. it's far braver for, say, Harvey Keitel to have been (tastefully, artfully) nude in The Piano than, say, Holly Hunter, not only because of the much harsher judgment in terms of size, but because everyone (and, loudly, straight men) joins in a chorus of "WELL NOBODY WANTS TO SEE *THAT*!" and i think that's something we have to get over. Ewan McGregor showing his penis should be no more different or shocking than the amount of times i've seen Kate Winslet's bouncing boobies or Julianne Moore's public hair. (and i *adore* both actresses).

as for body issues, just as i see nothing wrong with nude plus-sized models selling Dove, i see nothing wrong with similarly body-comfortable men wearing whatever suit they'd wish to wear.

but, again, i know this was a joke thread. i'm just venting in general. :)

it also touches on a double-standard we seem to have with nudity in general. in movies, there's plenty of female nudity, even female full-frontal nudity. but male full-frontal nudity is still hugely taboo, mostly because men fear being judged far more than women do about, say, breast size or even weight. it's far braver for, say, Harvey Keitel to have been (tastefully, artfully) nude in The Piano than, say, Holly Hunter, not only because of the much harsher judgment in terms of size, but because everyone (and, loudly, straight men) joins in a chorus of "WELL NOBODY WANTS TO SEE *THAT*!" and i think that's something we have to get over. Ewan McGregor showing his penis should be no more different or shocking than the amount of times i've seen Kate Winslet's bouncing boobies or Julianne Moore's public hair. (and i *adore* both actresses).

Public hair? :sexywink:

Well remember, I started a whole thread about that movie issue. No surprise :D

Maybe it's more a self image issue about that too. Maybe someone will invent padded Speedos like the padded underwear :wink: You can't hide much in that thing...

Back
Top Bottom