Feminism is uncool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

finny fish

The Fly
Interesting editorial in the paper today about the rejection of feminism in younger females.

Emma Young | Women Are Rejecting Feminism | Lady Gaga | Equal Rights | Gender Equality

I think in a way I agree with some points. Mostly relating to the definition of feminism and its relation to the individual. I think there are certain connotations nowadays about it seems to be very strict, and if women don't fall into these rules...well they're apparently not a feminist.

Interesting that theres no middle ground.

The author would not appear to agree with the thread title. Though granted, her argument, what there is of it, is rambling, convoluted and badly put.
Sexual liberation was a vital aspect of the feminist movement. It is an essential, wonderful freedom. But the current emphasis on the glitz of sex and image is a distraction.

Obstacles remain to equality and the new brand of feminism must prioritise social justice concerns such as the need to protect maternity leave. One need only follow the career path of Hillary Clinton to see that females in positions of power still face particular scrutiny.

As well, survey after survey reveal salaries among men and women in corporate jobs to be uneven and now and then women still get fired for trying to start a family.
Nothing new here, this is the intra-movement 'Sex Wars' of the 90s all over again.

Feminism isn't a coherent political party with a recognized foundational text that can be conveniently referred to to clarify its essentials, so it will always be both difficult to define and easy to caricature.

Last edited:
Oh I totally agree with you and to be honest I just skimmed through the article. What struck me personally was her opinion on young teenage women forgoing feminist philosophy (well at least on the surface) in favour of a sexier image. The most confusing thing for me was that I thought sexual liberation was part of feminism.

Which again brings me to the point of the feminist definition.

And yes, my thread title could probably be better worded. :)

It's funny, the two things that immediately came to mind when I read the title of the thread were:

1. It's man-hating that's uncool.
2. What does feminism even mean anymore?

Turns out that's pretty much all the article says as well.

Yes, just like the article says the core values of feminism have gotten very unclear over time and basically a lot of arguments feminists used/use seem to be 'out of date' or at least not popular anymore. In a much milder form, the field of Genderstudies (previously called 'Women's studies') is gaining more and more popularity and there it seems there's much more valid arguments and content of the development of women's positions in history/equality than a feminist approach could ever reach. The basics of being a woman should be put first, not hatred towards men or negative, extremist views on sexual liberation as some feminists like to point out.

And I also don't give a hoot what Lady Gaga thinks about feminism. I do fully support her right to wear a bird's nest on her face.

Seriously though, it's just like every other social movement-it evolves over time and it's not supposed to be exactly what it once was, is it? But what it once was has made it possible for the younger generations to have the choices and opportunities that they have.

That, however, I do agree with :wink:

I wouldn't mind some help with the ironing once in a while.

Either way, I think feminism has had some pretty bad connotations associated with it over time. The article isn't much help in answering questions but its a good starting point for discussion.

I have no idea whether it is cool or uncool. But like all social movements it has a tendency to fracture and splinter and so on. I'd be pretty wary of any attempt to define it at this point. The elements that are primarily concerned with something resembling legal equality perhaps seem invisible in the West since a lot of the more visible battles have been won (I guess), in the, um, West.

On my limited reading on the internets, I get the impression that in more recent times, some who fall under the feminism banner aren't really interested in social or political movement at all, so much as an eternal, ongoing critique. Or something. I mean, good luck to them I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom