Feel ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BBC News - Seychelles shark attack leaves Briton dead

Ian Redmond, 30, from Lancashire, survived the attack off Anse Lazio beach on Praslin, but died afterwards, a local police spokesman said.

He lost an arm and suffered severe hip injuries whilst snorkelling on Tuesday in what was the second fatal shark attack in the same area this month.

Authorities have stopped diving in the area as they try to catch the shark.

Mr Redmond and Gemma Houghton were in the second week of their honeymoon and had been due to fly home on Sunday, police spokesman Jean Toussaint said.

He said two men on a catamaran had assisted Mr Redmond just after 1700 local time and he was taken to hospital, but had no chance of surviving.

"We discovered that the British citizen was badly injured on the hips and the arms. He was assisted medically but unfortunately he could not make it," he said.

'Freak accident'

"We haven't got the autopsy report yet but he definitely lost a lot of blood."

A 36-year-old French tourist was killed by a shark off the same beach just over two weeks ago.

The Seychelles Tourism Board's director Alain St Ange told the BBC the latest attack was caused by a "foreign shark" and was a "freak accident".

He said: "We need to find the beast and get it out of our waters, we have requested help from South Africa and two experts are arriving in the country in the next day."

British High Commissioner Matthew Forbes was with the bride and her family were due to arrive in the east African country, he said.

"We have now closed the beach and all the surrounding beaches, and stopped diving in the area," he added.

Local restaurant owner Jeanne Vargiolu said she went to the beach on Tuesday after hearing sirens.

"I saw his wife talking to about five people, I think one was English, that she still had hope he was still alive," she said. "They were trying to help him but they could not get him alive."

Ms Vargiolu said her family had lived on the beach for 36 years and the two shark attacks this month were the first she had seen.

"It must be the same shark that attacked 16 days ago," she said.

An employee at the La Reserve hotel told the Press Association the man and his wife had been guests there.

The Foreign Office has confirmed the death and said it was providing consular assistance to next of kin.

Prior to this month's deaths, the last recorded fatal shark attack in the Seychelles was in 1963.

There were 79 recorded attacks in 2010, of which six resulted in deaths, according to the International Shark Attack File at the Florida Museum of Natural History.

There were 16 more attacks than in 2009 but one fewer than in 2000, it said.

Of the 400 or so species of shark, only a handful are associated with attacks on humans.

They include the white shark, tiger shark and bull shark, and less commonly the great hammerhead, oceanic whitetip, and certain reef sharks.

AFP: Funeral for Seychelles honeymoon shark victim

LONDON — A bride paid tribute to her husband at his funeral on Tuesday, in the same church where they married days before he was killed in a shark attack during their honeymoon in the Seychelles.

Ian Redmond, 30, was savaged by the shark on August 16, losing an arm. He died from blood loss despite the efforts of a surgeon on the beach as his new wife Gemma looked on.

They had married 10 days earlier at St Michael and All Angels Church in the village of Dalton, west Lancashire.

At the same church, his widow paid tribute to her "soul mate and best friend".

"We were having such a happy time. It was a lovely adventure and we were enjoying experiencing new things," the 27-year-old said of their honeymoon.

"We felt so at peace, so relaxed and were so excited about the future. It was truly romantic.

"Each and every time you went swimming and snorkelling and I watched you, I could never quite believe that I was married to you.

"You were the most handsome and perfect man I have ever seen and I always longed for you to come back out of the sea and be back with me.

"You completed me and are the best thing that has ever happened to me.

"Whilst I cannot believe that you are gone, I am in shock and hurting so very much. I am comforted and consoled by the rich tapestry of our memories that we formed over our nine years together. Thank you."

Up to 300 people packed the church, with around 200 more mourners listening to the service outside on loudspeakers.

The attack happened on the Anse Lazio beach -- a famous beauty spot hailed for its white sand on the archipelago's Praslin island -- in the same area where a shark attacked and killed a 36-year-old French diver earlier this month.

Shark attacks are rare in the Seychelles, with the last reported fatal attack before the recent killings in 1963, according to the government.

The 115-island archipelago is a popular top-end tourist destination. Prince William and his bride Catherine celebrated their honeymoon in the archipelago in May.

Last year, 79 people were attacked worldwide by sharks with six fatalities, the highest number of attacks in a decade and a 25-percent increase compared to 2009, according to researchers in Florida.

:sad: I can't even comprehend how the survivors must feel.

Disgusting, not really..sad, pathetic, bizarre. The thread about him has long since closed. Christian sex comedy movie?

Welcome to reality TV at its finest.

According to ColoradoSprings.com, Ted Haggard, the pastor and former president of the National Association of Evangelicals who was ousted after admitting to doing drugs and having a relationship with a male prostitute, will be trading spouses with actor Gary Busey on an upcoming episode of "Celebrity Wife Swap."

Haggard and Busey, who is a born again Christian, will trade wives and have cameras follow them around as the women try to reshape the other man's home and family life.

The episode will film Thursday at the GLBT Pride Center in Colorado Springs.

The former pastor of the New Life megachurch, Haggard saw his life crumble after he was caught in the affair. Now willing to admit he may be a bisexual, he runs the non-denominational St. James church and makes assorted media appearances trading on his scandal.

Haggard and his wife Gayle appeared on a 2009 episode of "Divorce Court," and featured in a TLC documentary about his fall and rise, called "Ted Haggard: Scandalous." He also had a documentary on HBO, and has appeared on countless talk shows, including "Oprah."

He also recently made a cameo in a Christian sex comedy movie.

I don't think it is disgusting, sad or anything.
what religious people (or anyone for that matter) do and think may be any of those things.

he is just a person, living his life, that got caught up, tripped up because of his chosen vocation, at the time.

I just meant doing a show like that-celebrity wife swap? Seriously? Then again hanging with Gary Busey could be highly entertaining. Or you could want to murder him. One or the other, or both.

It has nothing to do with religion. Or him being gay or bi or whatever he is.

s-MITCHELL-WILSON-large.jpg

The death of an 11-year-old boy with muscular dystrophy months after his assault by a bully has shined a spotlight on bullying in Canada's schools.

Muscular dystrophy left Mitchell Wilson struggling to do simple things like walking around the block or climbing stairs. He also had to use a walker at school. Doctors had urged him to exercise regularly to stave off the disease's effects, something that was growing increasingly difficult for the boy.

Wilson was mugged last November by a 12-year-old boy from his school. The assailant was after the iPhone Wilson borrowed from his dad. The bully was arrested and removed from the Pickering, Ont. school they both attended.

"He was never the same," said Craig Wilson to the Toronto Star, the boy's father and the one who found the boy's body.

Things didn't get any better for the young Mitchell as the court date loomed. And the bullying didn't stop.

"Subsequent to the beating that he took, he just lost that spark you see in a kid's eye. He had huge anxiety attacks about going outside and going for his walks and going to school by himself," Craig Wilson told CTV's Canada AM.

“At the cottage in July, he said, ‘If I have to go back to that school, I’ll kill myself,’” the boy's grandmother, Pam Wilson, told the National Post.

"He was very afraid, very fearful that he was going to run into this kid again," Mitchell's father told the CBC.

Wilson's death has raised fears that justice will not be served. The Crown initially feared that their case would have to be dropped because Wilson was unable to testify against his accused. But now the Crown has sought to delay a case while they prepare a written affidavit of a statement the boy made before his death. The case is now set for Nov. 21.

The alleged assailant cannot be identified due to his age but the Wilson family hopes that the alleged bully can atone for his crimes.

“He’s a lost kid. He hasn’t been loved, hasn’t been cared for. We don’t want to be a lynch squad. We want him to do community work with disabled people. All we are trying to do is help this kid understand that his life is going to be zip if he keeps on the road he is on,” Mitchell's grandmother told the National Post.

Wilson's father hopes that his son's death can save some lives in the long run. "I can’t do anything for my child anymore,” he said to the Toronto Sun. “So let’s hopefully save some other people’s children so they don’t have to go through this mess.”

IBtimes.com

Monday, October 10, 2011 10:11 AM EDT

Topeka Domestic Violence: Topeka, Kansas May Decriminalize Domestic Battery to Save Money

By Ashley Portero

Faced with one of the worst budget crisis' since the Great Depression, some state and local governments are attempting to save their pennies in any avenue possible. For the City Council of Topeka, Kansas, prosecuting domestic violence disputes may be on the chopping block.

The City Council announced the proposal during a routine meeting on Oct. 4 in reaction to a move made by the Shawnee County government. Last month, the Shawnee County District Attorney's office announced the county would no longer prosecute misdemeanors, including domestic violence cases, at the county level due to a 10 percent budget cut.

The Topeka City Council, which claims the city also lacks essential funding, is considering repealing the part of the city code that bans domestic battery. At the Oct. 4. meeting, Topeka Mayor Bill Bunten said the proposal does not mean city officials do not take domestic violence seriously, the Topeka Capital-Journal reports. Rather, he said the question is not whether domestic violence offenders should be prosecuted, but who -- the city or the county -- should pay for it, adding that anyone who thinks domestic battery will go unpunished in Topeka is "dead wrong."

Shawnee Country Turns Back 30 Domestic Violence Cases

Shawnee County has already turned back 30 domestic violence cases since it stopped prosecuting the crime on Sept. 8. Moreover, 16 people have been arrested for misdemeanor domestic battery charges and then released from county jail after charges were not filed.

However, the Shawnee County District Attorney's office insists that it believes domestic battery is a serious crime even though it has no immediate plans to begin prosecuting those cases again.

"[The district attorney's office] agrees that domestic violence is a crime that should be taken seriously and charged," Dakota Loomis, a spokesperson for District Attorney Chad Taylor, told the Capital-Journal.

Taylor's office has reportedly offered to review all misdemeanor cases filed within Topeka city limits for potential prosecution, including those now handled by the city's municipal court, in exchange for a one-time payment of $350,000 from the city.

The Topeka YWCA is calling for an "immediate resolution" between the city and Shawnee County, saying in a statement that it believes the county should ultimately be responsible for prosecuting domestic battery. Joyce Martin, the CEO of the Topeka YWCA, said the District Attorney's office, along with other local law enforcement agencies, worked with the YWCA to finalize community protocols for responding to and prosecuting domestic violence cases in 2009. In signing those protocols, Martin said Taylor agreed his office would aggressively prosecute those cases and review those cases as first priority.

"When an abusive partner is arrested, the victim's danger level increases," said Becky Dickinson, interim director of the YWCA Center for Safety and Empowerment, told the Capital-Journal. "The abuser will often become more violent in an attempt to regain control. Letting abusive partners out of jail with no consequences puts victims in incredibly dangerous positions."

The Topeka City Council is expected to decide whether it will decriminalize domestic violence this week.

There were 23,864 incidents of domestic battery in Kansas in 2009, an 11 percent increase from the previous year. In Topeka, there were 1,733 incidents, leading to 607 arrests, according to the Kansas Bureau of Investigation.

The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence reports that one in every four women will experience domestic violence in their life and most cases of the crime are never reported to the police. The effects of domestic battery can be devastating for every member of a family. Boys are twice as likely to abuse their own partners and children if they witness abuse as children, according to NCADV, while witnessing violence between one's parents or caretakers is the strongest risk factor for transmitting violent behavior from one generation to the next.

The effects of domestic violence also have a negative economic impact. The cost of intimate partner violence exceeds $5.8 billion each year, while victims lose an average of 8 million days of paid work each year due to their resulting mental and physical injuries.

Here we have Republicans pushing another one of their nice bills.

Under H.R. 358, dubbed the "Protect Life Act" and sponsored by Rep. Joe Pitts (R-Pa.), hospitals that don't want to provide abortions could refuse to do so, even for a pregnant woman with a life-threatening complication that requires a doctor terminate her pregnancy.

Protect Life unless it's the woman, then she can drop dead.

Last Friday night, Seattle bartender Victoria Liss received a less-than-generous tip from one customer. Not only did the now notorious gentleman stiff her on a tip, he added a note at the bottom of the receipt that read, "P.S. You could stand to loose [sic] a few pounds." Liss has not taken this lightly. She has retaliated by posting the receipt on Facebook and waged an all out social media war against the tip-stiffing suit.

Because it's already all over the Internet, we will reveal that the restaurant is Bimbo Cantina on Seattle's Capitol Hill and the gentleman in question is Andrew Meyer. In an interview with The Stranger, Liss describes Mr. Meyer as being dressed "like 'Boy' from Little Monsters with Fred Savage." On her Facebook page she uses a more modern reference citing Meyer as being "dressed like that gay kid on Glee." Adding insult to injury, Liss tells The Stranger that on his way out Meyer had the audacity to empty the tip jar into his hand and pocket the money.

The Facebook post of the receipt image currently has 73 comments supporting Liss' outrage and, according to Eater, many local bars and restaurants have blacklisted Meyer.

Though Meyer has not been reached for comment, another Andrew Meyer has retaliated against the retaliation. Wrongly identified as a Microsoft employee by Liss and alt-weekly columnist Dan Savage, the innocent Andrew Meyer is not pleased with the attention he has been receiving. Good reports that Liss has since apologized on her Facebook saying that she feels terrible and was "blinded by rage." Any media outlets that followed the false lead have removed links to the wrong Meyer's Facebook page and apologized for the mistake.

stiffed-tip.jpg

She probably gave many current and former waitresses/waiters a bit of vicarious gratification by doing that, but I think seeking to publically ID the person in retaliation is overreacting and unhelpful for everyone involved, honestly. Welcome to the world of low-paying service jobs (been there, done that), people can and will take a shit on you occasionally because their nose is out of joint about what-the-hell-ever unrelated thing happened in their personal lives. It's completely appropriate for the restaurant to "blacklist" the jerk, but that should've been the end of it. Now emptying the staff tip jar into your pocket, that's out-and-out theft.

Boss Told Me To Stop Giving Dying Co-Worker CPR, Says Service Rep - Careers Articles

Last month, a Time Warner Cable customer service rep died at her desk. After any unexpected death, people searched for answers, explanations, someone to blame. But in this case, there may have actually been something foul afoot. A local news station reports that after a co-worker began giving CPR to 67-year-old Julia Nelson, a supervisor allegedly told her to stop and "get back on the phone and take care of customers".

Nelson slumped at her desk at the Time Warner Call Center in Garfield Heights, Ohio, and wasn't breathing by the time paramedics arrived. But before that happened, a co-worker rushed over and began administering CPR, the woman told WOIO, only to be asked to stop. Employees at the scene have confirmed this report.

The woman was also told later by another supervisor that she could be "held liable if something goes wrong."

Ohio has a "Good Samaritan" law on the books, however, which protects bystanders who provide emergency aid from being sued for unintentional injury or wrongful death.

Thanks to this legal immunity, many employees have used CPR to save co-workers lives without any risk to themselves. Last year, two co-workers resuscitated 55-year-old Brenda Halliburton after she collapsed at her desk at American Baptist Churches. One performed CPR, while the other gave her a jolt with an Automated External Defibrillator. In July, Alex Molina saw his co-worker at Yuma Proving Grounds slumped in his carseat. Thinking he was sleeping, Molina pulled over to give him a joking scare, but ended up giving him CPR until the paramedics arrived.

Unfortunately, Nelson didn't receive similar care.

Time Warner released a statement, denying any wrongdoing: "Time Warner responded appropriately to a medical emergency. Our company has procedures in place to respond to emergencies. We are saddened by the loss of one of our employees who was a co-worker and a friend. Our thoughts are with the family during this difficult time."

Police are reviewing the incident, according to WOIO.

I feel so disgusted by that whole situation in Ohio and the death of all of those exotic animals. The laws need to be changed. Apparently that guy had an animal cruelty conviction on his record and the governor of Ohio had issued an order that did not allow people with those convictions to own exotic animals. The order was allowed to expire in April.

I just wish those poor animals had been taken from that guy a long time ago and saved. I understand why they had to be killed but seeing that photo of so many of them dead made me feel sick.

Have you guys seen the "Yue Yue" video/story? I think it might unfortunately top anything else in this thread. I made the mistake of watching the video, hadn't heard about it before hand. That little baby....

^^ The Beijing journalist Lijia Zhang had a very good guest column about 'the Yueyue story' in the Guardian (UK) over the weekend. Like many Chinese who've debated and discussed the incident online and elsewhere (it dominated China's mass media last week), she doesn't consider the bystanders' shocking indifference an isolated tragedy, but rather a symptom of a pervasive decline of public ethics in contemporary Chinese society.
Last Thursday a two-year-old girl was run over twice, about 100 metres from her home in a hardware market district of Foshan, a prosperous city in southern China. As she lay on the ground, writhing in pain, before being hit by the second vehicle, 18 people, on their bicycles, in cars or on foot, passed by but chose to ignore her. Among them a young woman with her own child. Finally, a 58-year-old female rubbish collector came to the girl's rescue, but it was too late. By the time she was brought to the hospital, the girl Yueyue (whose name translates as Little Joy), was brain dead...None even bothered to call for emergency services.

Later, when interviewed by a journalist, one of the passersby, a middle-aged man riding a scooter, said with an uncomfortable smile on his face: "That wasn't my child. Why should I bother?" Before giving himself up to the police, the driver of the second vehicle, a van, told the media why he had run away. "If she is dead, I may pay only about 20,000 yuan. But if she is injured, it may cost me hundreds of thousands of yuan."

...The death of Yueyue [has] provoked much public outrage and a nationwide discussion about morality in today's China...There was plenty of condemnation of the cold-heartedness of the passersby. But, astonishingly, a large percentage of posters said they understood why the onlookers did not lend a helping hand. Some admitted they would do the same--for fear of getting into trouble and fear of facing another "Nanjing judge." Let me explain the story of the muddle-headed Nanjing judge. In 2006, in the capital of Jiangsu province, a young man named Peng Yu helped an old woman who had fallen on the street and took her to a hospital and waited to see if the old woman was all right. Later, however, the woman and her family accused Peng of causing her fall. A judge decided in favour of the woman, based on the assumption that "Peng must be at fault. Otherwise why would he want to help?", saying that Peng acted against "common sense". The outcry from the public in support of Peng forced the court to adjust its verdict and resulted in Peng paying 10% of the costs instead of the total. Since that incident Peng has become a national cautionary tale: the Good Samaritan being framed by the beneficiary of their compassion.
( ^ It's tempting to see the judge's reasoning as 'typically Chinese' in itself--in Confucianist societies altruism is generally assumed to stem from specific allegiances, most notably familial ones, and as for the '10% compromise,' that sounds like classic 'face-saving,' as opposed to abstract-principle-based, moral thinking.)
The fundamental problem, in my view, lies in one word that describes a state of mind: shaoguanxianshi, meaning don't get involved if it's not your business. In our culture, there's a lack of willingness to show compassion to strangers. We are brought up to show kindness to people in our network of guanxi, family and friends and business associates, but not particularly to strangers, especially if such kindness may potentially damage your interest.

Fei Xiaotong, China's first sociologist, described Chinese people's moral and ethical characteristics in his book, "From the Soil," in the middle of the last century. He pointed out that selfishness is the most serious shortcoming of the Chinese. "When we think of selfishness, we think of the proverb 'Each person should sweep the snow from his own doorsteps and should not fret about the frost on his neighbour's roof,'" wrote Fei. He offered the example of how the Chinese of that period threw rubbish out of their windows without the slightest public concern.

...Under Mao, citizens were forced to behave themselves in both public and private spheres. Every March, people were obliged to go into the street to do good deeds: cleaning buses, fixing bicycles and offering haircuts. Now relaxed social control and commercialisation over the past three decades have led people to behave more selfishly again. People are enjoying, and sometimes abusing, the vast personal freedoms that didn't exist before.

...Last year an article, "Why have Chinese lost their sense of morality?", in which the author tried to find an explanation, was widely read. He reasoned that China has introduced the concept of a market economy from the west but failed to import the corresponding ethics, while the traditional moral principles of China no longer fit the market economy model. There's a lot of sense in that. I believe that the lack of a value system is also deepening the moral crisis. Before Mao, the indifference towards others once so accurately described by Fei existed but was mitigated by a traditional moral and religious system. That system was then almost destroyed by the communists, especially during the 10 mad years of the Cultural Revolution from 1966 to 1976. Nowadays communism, the ideology that dominated Chinese people's lives like a religion, has also more or less collapsed. As a result, there's a spiritual vacuum that cannot be filled by the mere opportunity of money-making.

To drag China out of its moral crisis will be a long battle. The pressing question is how to make people act in cases of emergency and the solution is law. After the "Nanjing case", there have been discussions about introducing a law that imposes a "duty of rescue" as exists in many European countries. I am all for it, because that's probably the only way to propel action for a people who do not see a moral obligation in rescuing others.
When I was living in Hong Kong a couple years back, I had an experience where I went to take a shortcut through one of the underground shopping arcades abutting the MTR (subway lines), and walked right into a scene where three boys in their mid-teens were beating the crap out of another boy, who was staggering and clearly already hurt--all while about a dozen random bystanders (men and women, all ages and sizes) stood there gawking, making no attempt to intervene or even call for help. My reaction (which safetywise wasn't the smartest, but the teacher in me just took over) was to charge over shouting at them, "What the hell are you doing?!" and then "STOP." The first time they paused and one of them stopped altogether; the second time all three stopped, eyed me warily, then ran off. Only when I asked the injured boy if he was okay did one of the bystanders finally step forward and offer to call for help.

Granted, that's a very different situation from the 'Yueyue story;' in fact, I could imagine it happening here in the US too, and I don't even think it necessarily revealed much of anything about those bystanders. The majority of people do respond to shocking sights by freezing up, which while sometimes tragic in consequence is basically just human instinct, not a reliable reflection on moral character. (I can't remember whether or not there were other passers-by who just kept walking.) Even so, it still bothers me that even given the safety of numbers, none of those bystanders called for help, no one yelled at them to stop, some of the men were definitely bigger than those kids and could've pulled them apart...Then when I read something like the above, it makes me wonder all over again what exactly I was seeing in their inaction.

Thanks, I'll read through that. The real shock to me is that any human being could do that to a baby. That, and the video itself just seemed much better quality that we're used to seeing (choppy black and white CCTV, or stuff you just never get to see). I am not easily alarmed or scandalized and after watching that video (having not previously heard about it so no idea what it was going to be) I stared at a wall for a few minutes and then just got up and left work. It was just so shallow and depraved, what you actually see on the video, even before the commentary on the ethics and culture. I know very few Chinese people and have never been to that part of the world or studied it in any depth so I don't feel I can weigh in on the cultural aspect. What I saw was a baby get squished multiple times and lie there in a pool of blood while people swerved out of the way.

I can understand people locking up in this type of situation, but it looked like some of those people barely did a double-take, didn't glance down but steered their bike out of the way, like they almost *expected* their to be a dying baby in their way. This is part of the reason why I take CPR, AED, and First Aid at least once a year. I've been in situations albeit a LOT less drastic where I have felt myself want to freeze or walk the other way. I already know all the procedures and how to use the equipment and the current standards for performing CPR but I really need to go through the motions as much as possible so I could do what I should do without freezing up. I am very much a risk-averse, stay-out-of-people's-business kind of person. Since I know that about myself I have to push myself to be able to overcome that.

^ Yeah, I more think of the First Aid training I've had in terms of maximizing what I might do to help someone in trouble, but I do also value the idea that being drilled in it makes the response automatic so you don't freeze up. Everyone's different, for me I'd be most worried about freezing up if I'm alone, whereas if there's a whole group of panicked people around, that tends to galvanize me.

It is probably easy to overstate the 'cultural' component to the Yueyue story (haven't watched the video and don't want to); when I first read about it, it did vaguely remind me of these stories you occasionally hear out of NYC/LA/wherever where some homeless person whose serious medical distress should have been obvious--blueing skin, bleeding mouth etc.--was instead allowed to just keep lying on the sidewalk, people stepping indifferently around them despite in some cases appearing to notice, and wound up dying because the ingrained response to just ignore 'bums' won out for the passers-by. Again, very different situation but perhaps similar enough for discomfort. I agree, freezing up is a lot easier to understand than just proceeding on by as if there were nothing here to worry yourself about.

On my twitter feed at the moment there is a video of a judge from Aransas beating his daughter with a belt. Apparently this was secretly taken by his daughter in 2004 when she was 16 and she has now posted this to youtube herself to seemingly expose her father.

Not sure about the context of why now etc but the video appears disturbingly real. I was smacked as a child but this is more akin to a violent assault.

Some of the comments on this reddit link provide a bit more context as well as a link to video on youtube. It is very unpleasant though.

Family law judge beats own daughter for using the internet, please spread : reddit.com

Husband of falling shopping cart victim Marion Hedges says her recovery will be difficult - Crimesider - CBS News

(CBS/WCBS) NEW YORK - The husband of a New York woman injured by a falling shopping cart says his wife will survive but has a difficult road ahead of her.

Marion Salmon Hedges was critically injured Sunday night after two 12-year-old boys allegedly threw a shopping cart over the fourth-floor railing at an East Harlem shopping complex. The 47-year-old Upper West Side Realtor had been walking underneath with her son after buying Halloween candy.

"What I can tell you is she's not well," Hedges' husband Michael told CBS station WCBS.

Michael Hedges told the station that his wife will survive but, due to damage to her brain, she will have a difficult recovery.

"Her prognosis at a minimum involves many months of painful rehabilitation," Michael said.

Michael Hedges says, "There's not a lot we can do right now. It's with the doctor and with fate's hands."

When asked how angry he was at the two boys, WCBS reports Michael said, "They're not adults. They're children, and children who have been left on their own without supervision."

The 12-year-old boys have been charged with felony assault and misdemeanor criminal possession of a weapon.

WCBS spoke to one of the boys' family members Tuesday.

"We feel real bad for the whole situation and the family and what she's going through. I can't imagine what her family and kids are going through, but we're also going through something, too," the family member said.

Hedges, who the Daily News reports volunteers at the Stanley M. Isaacs Neighborhood Center, is reportedly in critical but stable condition at New York City's Harlem Hospital.

Toronto Star

Doctors at Queen’s University thought they were going nuts when they saw what appeared to be the outline of a man’s face staring back at them in an ultrasound image of a tumour.

Drs. Naji Touma and Gregory Roberts were scrolling through images of a testicular tumour on a computer when they did a double take.

“It was very ghoulish, like a man screaming in pain. His mouth was open and it looked like one eye was gouged out,” said Touma, a professor at Queen’s University Medical School and urologist at Kingston General Hospital.

The ultrasound image, taken in December 2009, was sent to the journal Urology and recently published under the tongue-in-cheek headline, “The face of testicular pain: A surprising ultrasound finding.”

“A brief debate ensued on whether the image could have been a sign from the deity (perhaps “Min” the Egyptian god of male virility); however, the consensus deemed it a mere coincidental occurrence rather than a divine proclamation,” the accompanying article said.

The ultrasound was taken after a 45-year-old man complained of discomfort. A 6 cm. growth turned out to be a benign tumour, the result of an infection, and the testicle was removed.

a298bfab4965aa83ef2a3eb43b7d.jpeg

On my twitter feed at the moment there is a video of a judge from Aransas beating his daughter with a belt. Apparently this was secretly taken by his daughter in 2004 when she was 16 and she has now posted this to youtube herself to seemingly expose her father.

Not sure about the context of why now etc but the video appears disturbingly real. I was smacked as a child but this is more akin to a violent assault.

Some of the comments on this reddit link provide a bit more context as well as a link to video on youtube. It is very unpleasant though.

Family law judge beats own daughter for using the internet, please spread : reddit.com

Now this is showing up on all the major news sites. Sadly, some of the comments I've read might be worse than the actual video!

A California woman was sexually assaulted by her husband, and caught the whole thing on tape. He went to jail, but when he gets out, a judge has ruled that she'll have to pay him alimony.

10News has Crystal Harris's description of the night her now ex-husband Shawn forced her to perform oral sex on him:

He wanted to have sex and I said no. He kept saying this is not up for negotiation. When I finally realized that I had no choice, I mean, he was pushing my head down; I finally talked him into letting me go to the bathroom. I realize I've got that tape recorder not far from where we are right now.

Shawn Harris claimed the whole thing was part of consensual sexual role-playing — he said they liked to act out infidelity, "hooker and pimp," and "Tarzan and Jane" scenarios. But the tape, in which Crystal Harris said "no" fifty times, and Shawn's prior history of domestic abuse and anger issues, led to a conviction for forced oral copulation. Harris was sentenced to six years in prison — but when he gets out, his wife will have to start paying him $1,000 a month in spousal support. Judge Gregory Pollock cited her much higher income: "I can't look at a 12-year marriage where one side is making $400 a month, the other side is making over $11,000 and say no spousal support."

Crystal Harris, understandably, is outraged that she will have to support the man who assaulted her: "It makes me feel victimized all over again that I should have to pay a dime to this man who has turned my life upside down." She added, "No rape victim should have to pay her rapist." But in California, being convicted of rape doesn't cancel out your entitlement to spousal support — only trying to murder your spouse does. Crystal Harris wants to change that — and so does San Diego County DA Bonnie Dumanis.

She's urging legislators to change the spousal support law, which would be a good thing for everyone. Many resources for abuse survivors seem to offer advice for extracting support from a non-paying spouse, but not for stopping payment to an abusive one. Stereotype might dictate that breadwinners are more likely to be rapists, but neither making money nor committing sexual assault are exclusively male acts. And no one who's been raped, male or female, should have to pay their attacker.

WASHINGTON — The Dover military mortuary entrusted with the solemn duty of receiving and caring for America's war dead twice lost body parts of remains shipped home from Afghanistan, the Air Force revealed Tuesday.

Three mortuary supervisors have been punished for what the Air Force called "gross mismanagement," but no one was fired in a grisly case reminiscent of the scandalous mishandling and misidentifying of remains at Arlington National Cemetery.

The Air Force, which runs the mortuary at Dover, Del., acknowledged failures while insisting it made the right decision in not informing families linked to the missing body parts until last weekend – months after it completed a probe of 14 sets of allegations lodged by three members of the mortuary staff.

Gen. Norton Schwartz, the Air Force chief of staff, told a Pentagon news conference he and the service's top civilian, Michael Donley, are ultimately responsible for what happens at Dover and for its mistakes.

"There's no escaping it," Schwartz said.

However, an independent federal investigative agency, the Office of Special Counsel, said the Air Force had fallen short on accountability. That office, which forwarded the original whistleblower allegations to the Pentagon in May and July 2010 and reviewed the subsequent Air Force investigative report, faulted it for taking an overly narrow view of what went wrong at Dover between 2008 and 2010.

"Several of the Air Force's findings are not supported by the evidence presented and thus do not appear reasonable," the special counsel's office said. "In these instances the report demonstrates a pattern of the Air Force's failure to acknowledge culpability for wrongdoing relating to the treatment of remains."

Special Counsel Carolyn Lerner said her office is investigating allegations by the three whistleblowers that the Air Force retaliated against them in several ways, including an attempt to fire one of them.

The three whistleblowers still work at Dover. They are James Parsons, an embalming/autopsy technician; Mary Ellen Spera, a mortuary inspector; and William Zwicharowski, a senior mortuary inspector.

There is no suggestion of criminal wrongdoing at Dover, and the Air Force said it found no evidence that those faulted at Dover had deliberately mishandled any remains. They attributed the mistakes largely to a breakdown in procedures and a failure to fix problems that had been building over time.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta issued a statement saying he was "deeply disturbed" by the matter. Panetta said he supports the Air Force's findings but has asked a separate panel of the Defense Health Board, a Pentagon advisory group, to conduct its own review of how the Dover mortuary is run. That review, to be led by former surgeon general Dr. Richard Carmona, is due within 60 days.

As gruesome as the revelations appear, Schwartz acknowledged that it's possible that mistakes also were made prior to 2008, during a period when U.S. troops were killed at even higher rates in Iraq. Other Air Force officials said on Monday they knew of no prior cases of mishandled remains at Dover.

"I cannot certify with certainty that prior performance met our standard of perfection," Schwartz told reporters.

At Dover all U.S. war dead are received in well-practiced procedures that place a premium on a dignified and respectful handling of remains. Medical examiners then carry out procedures to positively identify remains and determine the cause of death. Teams of morticians and embalmers then prepare the remains for disposition. Investigators found a disconnect between the work of the medical examiners and the morticians, each of which reports to a different military chain of command.

One of the two cases of missing parts was in April 2009. It involved fragments of ankle bone embedded in human tissue associated with two crew members recovered from an Air Force F-15 fighter that crashed in Afghanistan. The labeled plastic bag containing this portion of remains was found empty during normal processing, with a slit in the side of the bag. Staff members were unable to account for the missing piece.

The other instance was in July 2009 and involved a piece of human tissue an inch or two in length associated with a soldier killed in Afghanistan. As in the April case, the bag containing the piece was found empty, with a slit in its side. The piece of missing tissue was never located.

Officials said that in no cases do they suspect foul play, criminal acts or deliberate mishandling of the missing pieces.

Two of the three officials who were punished still work at Dover but not in supervisory jobs. None was fired.

In reviewing the Air Force's probe, the Office of Special Counsel disputed the conclusion that none of the allegations of mishandling of remains amounted to violations of law or regulation. The special counsel submitted its own report Tuesday to the White House and to the House and Senate armed services committees.

The special counsel's office contradicted the Air Force's claim that it was taking full responsibility.

"While the report reflects a willingness to find paperwork violations and errors, with the exception of the cases of missing portions (of remains), the findings stop short of accepting accountability for failing to handle remains with the requisite `reverence, care and dignity befitting them and the circumstances,'" it said.

In addition to the two cases of lost body pieces, the Air Force reviewed allegations that mortuary officials acted improperly in sawing off an arm bone that protruded from the body of a Marine in a way that prevented his body from being placed in his uniform for viewing before burial. The Marine's family had requested seeing him in his uniform but was not consulted about – or told of – the decision to remove the bone.

The Marine, whose identity was not released by the Air Force, was killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan in January 2010.

The Air Force inspector general began his investigation in June 2010 and finished it in May 2011. It concluded that the mortuary had not violated any rule or regulation by removing the Marine's bone as it did. But the Air Force has since changed procedures to ensure that a representative of the deceased's service – in this case the Marine Corps – has a formal say in whether the family should be contacted before altering the body so significantly.

A total of four families affected directly by the investigation were told of it last weekend by Air Force officials.

The three supervisors at Dover who were disciplined are Col. Robert H. Edmondson, who was in overall command of the Air Force Mortuary Affairs Operations at Dover at the time; Trevor Dean, who was Edmondson's top civilian deputy; and Quinton "Randy" Keel, director of the mortuary division at Dover.

All three declined Tuesday, through the Air Force's office of public affairs, to comment for this story.

Edmondson, who had already rotated out of the Dover job by the time the Air Force probe was over, has been given a letter of reprimand, which makes it unlikely he will get a future promotion. Schwartz said the colonel was deliberately put in a staff, rather than command, job in the Pentagon. Dean and Keel, who are licensed morticians, were dropped a notch in their civilian pay grade and reassigned at Dover.

^ Same syndrome as the Catholic Church, protect your brand and your own rather than the victims.

Is anyone watching the news right now, particularly CNN?

The students of Penn State are protesting against Joe Paterno's dismissal. I hope I am misinterpreting what I am seeing on the screen, but it really looks like that. Don't these kids realize that Paterno was part of the cover up of Sandusky raping young boys? Or all they care about is Penn State sports? :no:

Penn State is 8 -1

they are in the top 20, number 12
they are having a heck of a season, this is not a good time to make a coaching change.

Back
Top Bottom